GDT: October 30 | Atl-Slv | SKA-Lev | Spk-Sib | Dnb-Amr | DMn-MNk | Mdv-Adm

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Neither Slovan, nor Lev were "sucking in play-offs" year. Very humorous, too, to make conclusions on the amazing sample of a single KHL season. :laugh:

More like Loko was sucking in play-offs last season, losing as a higher seeded team.

Slovan played very good 3 games against the eventual Gagarin Cup winner, Slovan was better in Game 2 in Moscow, including in overtime, and lost unluckily there. They were also in the lead against Dynamo 2-0 in Game 3 before collapsing. So losing 0-4 means nothing -- they were mostly very close games. The same for Lev: a couple of OT losses in play-offs.

And I must say the behaviour of Russian hockey fans online will make me happy about every Russian team loss in play-offs. It's just the way it is, folks. I simply don't see Swedish, Finnish, Latvian etc. fans exuding condescension the way I regularly see it from Russian, Canadian or American hockey fans. And so, teams from "small nations", go! :handclap:

(I'd also certainly be happier if Astana won the cup rather than a Russian team -- Kazakstan is anything but small geographically, but it is a "small nation" hockey-wise.) ;)

You may not like to hear it, but getting swept in the 1st round is as close to "sucking in the playoffs" as it gets. Close games and OTs are very weak argumets. Let's hand the cup to the team with the most close games...

And before you talk about behaviour you should, take a look in the mirror. The rusophobic faction is by far more numerous here. Your attitude to be against somebody instead of cheering for your team is very telling. I haven't seen a russian fan claiming he wouldn't want a non-russian team to win.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
It's you and not me who will be disappointed.:laugh:

No, I'm confident that Gagarin Cup will soon be won by a non-Russian team, perhaps already this season. Remarks such as the one you've just made above, give non-Russian hockey fans every reason to cheer against Russian teams in KHL play-offs. You take it for granted that a Russian team will win Gagarin Cup. Other fans don't do that. It may well later happen to Russia to be like Canada in the NHL -- waiting for a Stanley Cup since the 1990s.

(BTW, I'm also pretty confident Russia won't win gold in Sochi, maybe not even a medal. It's a matter of psychology, where you believe you're entitled to win, which is why you won't...)

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Your attitude to be against somebody instead of cheering for your team is very telling.

Who said "instead"? I cheer for my team, and I'm also happy whenever a team from a "small nation" defeats a Russian team. That's perfectly natural, and I'm sure many (most?) "small nation" hockey fans feel exactly the same. The behaviour of Russian hockey fans online only reinforces this natural attitude.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Who said "instead"? I cheer for my team, and I'm also happy whenever a team from a "small nation" defeats a Russian team. That's perfectly natural, and I'm sure many (most?) "small nation" hockey fans feel exactly the same. The behaviour of Russian hockey fans online only reinforces this natural attitude.

Oh man, "natural attitude", it makes you happy if a russian team loses... Can you hear yourself? Or rather understand what that means? I don't want to play your shrink here, but it's rather obvius. Okay, whatever makes you happy. We're used to this kind of BS.

alce*

No, I'm confident that Gagarin Cup will soon be won by a non-Russian team, perhaps already this season. Remarks such as the one you've just made above, give non-Russian hockey fans every reason to cheer against Russian teams in KHL play-offs. You take it for granted that a Russian team will win Gagarin Cup. Other fans don't do that. It may well later happen to Russia to be like Canada in the NHL -- waiting for a Stanley Cup since the 1990s.

(BTW, I'm also pretty confident Russia won't win gold in Sochi, maybe not even a medal. It's a matter of psychology, where you believe you're entitled to win, which is why you won't...)

I somehow doubt that "fans" like you need any particular "reasons".:laugh: And sincerely I couldn't care less of it. And how my "granted" is any different from your "confident"? :amazed: It seems very hypocritical to me. At least my words are based on real teams' strength comparison, unlike yours that are just wishful thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Oh man, "natural attitude", it makes you happy if a russian team loses...
Not just Russian team -- also Canadian or American, but we don't have those in the KHL. It's about teams from "big nations" versus teams from "small nations". It's perfectly natural to root for "small nation" teams. :nod: Particularly given the condescension habitually shown to them from fans of "big nation" teams.

And how my "granted" is any different from your "confident"?
Check the dictionary, please. There's a huge difference.

At least my words are based on real teams' strength comparison, unlike yours that are just wishful thinking.
Nope, it's stark reality for you. 3 out of 5 current leading teams in the West are non-Russian, and the KHL's Eastern Conference currently also has a non-Russian leader, despite being outnumbered 1-14 by Russian teams in that conference.

It is therefore reasonable to suppose that Gagarin Cup might be won by a non-Russian team as early as this season. :handclap:

alce*

Check the dictionary, please. There's a huge difference.

In other words, when I state simple facts that Slovan and Lev sucks in playoff, it's bad and wrong attitude and when you are saying your empty dreams about possible failures of Russian team it's good and completely normal? You are not just hypocrite, you are true master of hypocrisy.:shakehead

Nope, it's stark reality for you. 3 out of 5 current leading teams in the West are non-Russian, and the KHL's Eastern Conference currently also has a non-Russian leader, despite being outnumbered 1-14 by Russian teams in that conference.

It is therefore reasonable to suppose that Gagarin Cup might be won by a non-Russian team as early as this season. :handclap:

And again you are talking about useless numbers. :shakehead
You are really don't get it, do you? Who wants to know standings of teams in mid-season? What could be use of such crap? You want to beat SKA or Dynamo in playoff? Yes, of course. Dream on.:laugh: And play of Barys is very good for regular season, but it will be much too open for playoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Me i support by gut. i dont like Spartak Vytjaz, sever and CSKA, atleast this year, but i like SKA, how they play and act. in Eastern I like Sibir and AK Bars and rest not so much. Magnitka is on my good list aswell lol. this is if we r only talking about russian teams. this can change by next year.
But as for non russian teams i root for all of em because i want them to have an imporant role in this league and get involved in later stages of plyaoffs. not because i dont like russian teams, but cause all of em are really fresh except a couple and for KHL to really in results become a european league, and also to show that team can do it with less money lol. This year Donbass Riga and Barys can go far and seam most consistant. i would love a russian non russian parings in the semis :)

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
"Facts"? :laugh: Again, neither Slovan, nor Lev "sucked in play-offs". Loko did. Slovan and Lev lost a bunch of very closely fought games -- that's the opposite of sucking. But you wouldn't know that, as you obviously were not watching those play-off series.

Also, it's late October, so the only thing that can be discussed now are late October standings. According to them, Russian teams have a hard time keeping up with the best non-Russian KHL teams. It is perfectly reasonable to expect this to be a regular phenomenon throughout the season including the play-offs. Everything else is your wishful thinking.

alce*

"Facts"? :laugh: Again, neither Slovan, nor Lev "sucked in play-offs". Loko did. Slovan and Lev lost a bunch of very closely fought games -- that's the opposite of sucking. But you wouldn't know that, as you obviously were not watching those play-off series.

Also, it's late October, so the only thing that can be discussed now are late October standings. According to them, Russian teams have a hard time keeping up with the best non-Russian KHL teams. It is perfectly reasonable to expect this to be a regular phenomenon throughout the season including the play-offs. Everything else is your wishful thinking.

Sorry, if you don't understand difference between regular season's game and playoff game... what we can discuss then? It's pointless.

alce*

This year Donbass Riga and Barys can go far and seam most consistant. i would love a russian non russian parings in the semis :)

How far you think they could go? I think that they have very good chance to reach second round of playoff (at least Riga and Astana), but very small chance to reach conference finals.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I understand that difference perfectly, but there is no reason to suppose that the play-offs will be a complete reversal of the regular season. If non-Russian teams are doing very well in the regular season, there is every reason (although no guarantee) to expect they will also fare well in the play-offs.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
How far you think they could go? I think that they have very good chance to reach second round of playoff (at least Riga and Astana), but very small chance to reach conference finals.

There's a pretty good chance, especially in the East.

Also, please note a crucial difference in the West this season compared to last: last season, both SKA and Dynamo Moscow played in the same division. Because of this, 6th-ranked Slovan got to play 3rd-ranked Dynamo Moscow already in the 1st play-off round. This year, as you can see, SKA and Dynamo Moscow are ranked 1, 2 in the West, so a 6th-placed team will avoid meeting one of the top 2 favourites in the first round.

alce*

I understand that difference perfectly, but there is no reason to suppose that the play-offs will be a complete reversal of the regular season. If non-Russian teams are doing very well in the regular season, there is every reason (although no guarantee) to expect they will also fare well in the play-offs.

They aren't doing very well. Only two teams can be compared with KHL leaders. Riga and Astana. Riga is very good team, but it's not as good as SKA or Dynamo. And to reach the final it have to beat them both. It's almost impossible. Barys is just not enough rational for playoff.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
They aren't doing very well.

You like ignoring and denying facts, but it's no use: 3 out of 5 current leaders in the West are non-Russian teams. For the longest stretches this season, 4 out of 6 leaders in the West were non-Russian teams. (Lev is currently in a slump.)

Also, it's not necessary for any team to beat both SKA and Dynamo Moscow to reach Gagarin Cup finals. They can both be eliminated by different opponents. :nod:

alce*

You like ignoring and denying facts, but it's no use: 3 out of 5 current leaders in the West are non-Russian teams. For the longest stretches this season, 4 out of 6 leaders in the West were non-Russian teams. (Lev is currently in a slump.)

Also, it's not necessary for any team to beat both SKA and Dynamo Moscow to reach Gagarin Cup finals. They can both be eliminated by different opponents. :nod:

You are like broken record. What 6 leaders are you talking about? There only 2 and a half leaders in the West. All other teams from fourth to twelfth are in six point interval. Leaders, lmao.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
You may not like to hear it, but getting swept in the 1st round is as close to "sucking in the playoffs" as it gets. Close games and OTs are very weak argumets. Let's hand the cup to the team with the most close games...

And before you talk about behaviour you should, take a look in the mirror. The rusophobic faction is by far more numerous here. Your attitude to be against somebody instead of cheering for your team is very telling. I haven't seen a russian fan claiming he wouldn't want a non-russian team to win.

I love how everyone you disagree with it automatically "rusophobic" :laugh: the act is getting old

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Who said "instead"? I cheer for my team, and I'm also happy whenever a team from a "small nation" defeats a Russian team. That's perfectly natural, and I'm sure many (most?) "small nation" hockey fans feel exactly the same.

Oh man, "natural attitude", it makes you happy if a russian team loses... Can you hear yourself? Or rather understand what that means?

It means he likes rooting for the underdog, as many people do in every sport.

If someone said

I cheer for my team, and I'm also happy whenever a team from a "small market" defeats a big-market team. That's perfectly natural, and I'm sure many (most?) "small market" hockey fans feel exactly the same.

nobody would blink an eye, but it seems you're trying to politicize things

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org

the lack of basic logic here is hurting my head

"just because non-russian teams are doing well in the regular season, doesn't mean it will translate to the playoffs"

"dynamo & ska (etc.) are the best in the regular season, therefore they will dominate the playoffs too"

:help:

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013

oh Barys plays with such ease and power i think they can reach conference finals . they play so well and i think they have reserves. Riga i dont know. i think they will reach second round, after that its a toss up. I think donbass will join riga in the second round aswell atleast there is a chance of that. i mean it all also depends on how the standings are going to look and who gets to play with who. For me east is an easier conference with 4-5 teams that are good, unlike west's 10-11 teams. So Barys has a good chance to get into finals. it needs to win against one easy team and than one better (or very good team depending on the draw).
As for riga in the west, god knows what is gona happen there lol Personally i think here will be some surprises there. but again i really depends what pairs are going to be drawn. lol if Medvescak manages to stay in this place they have a chance too lol i mean its that crazy in the west lol

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
What 6 leaders are you talking about?

The 6 teams leading the Western conference. Or top 6 teams, pick your synonym. :p: For the longest time this season, the teams ranked 1-6 (there goes another synonym for ya) in the West have included 4 non-Russian teams, and a non-Russian team has led the Eastern Conference for much of this season so far. Those are the cold hard facts you gotta recognize.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
In other words, when I state simple facts that Slovan and Lev sucks in playoff, it's bad and wrong attitude and when you are saying your empty dreams about possible failures of Russian team it's good and completely normal? You are not just hypocrite, you are true master of hypocrisy.:shakehead

And again you are talking about useless numbers. :shakehead
You are really don't get it, do you? Who wants to know standings of teams in mid-season? What could be use of such crap? You want to beat SKA or Dynamo in playoff? Yes, of course. Dream on.:laugh: And play of Barys is very good for regular season, but it will be much too open for playoff.

Done and Done.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
I root for:
1. Medvescak
2. Eastern teams vs. Western teams when they play against each other
3. Team that is far from us in the western conference standings (high or low) vs. team that is close to us.
4. Team with higher potential when plays against other team close to us in the standings.

As simple as that. :)

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
The 6 teams leading the Western conference. Or top 6 teams, pick your synonym. :p: For the longest time this season, the teams ranked 1-6 (there goes another synonym for ya) in the West have included 4 non-Russian teams, and a non-Russian team has led the Eastern Conference for much of this season so far. Those are the cold hard facts you gotta recognize.

The are only two apparent leaders in the west, plus Riga dragging behind them. The next 5-7 teams are like one victory from each other, their positions change every couple of days. The rest is wishful thinking.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
So what are you talking about, obskyr? Semantics much? I'm sayng that out of the top 6 teams in the West standings, 4 of them for most of the season have been non-Russian teams. That's 4 out of top 6. You can twist it around any way you like, but those are the facts. I'm hoping for Atlant & Severstal losses tomorrow to drive home the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad