GDT: July 1 - Free Agent National Holiday V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Martin fights but he can also play. Perfect grinder

No, he takes dumb penalties and can't play. Carried by Cizikas and Clutterbuck....

4 years. About the length of time it takes guys like Nylander/Marner/Matthews(even though he has size), to grow into men.
When our boys get good and start beating teams they will get challenged. I'm ok with the additions of Rychel/Martin.

Then sign John Scott if you're worried about the kids, he can fight....and he costs 550k.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Wow.....that's not a big deal.

I mean really, it's fine. Can get nitpicky about a year or two or a few hundred thousands...but no point. It's fine. Can get why they wanted to bring someone like this in for next year and didn't get stupid for it.

That should be it though.

Worst case scenario, we need to buy him out after 3 years, and we'll take an $800,000 hit on the cap.

Not a good deal, but also not a big deal is how I'd characterize the signing.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Likely makes Komarov expendable with Martin on board.

Absolutley not

Cool, watch an actual game.

Matt Martin (4 yrs @ $2.5M) comparables
Dorsett 4 @ $2.65M
Hansen 4 @ $2.5M
Raffl 3 @ $2.35M
Weise 4 @ $2.35M

All score more then 20 points in a season.

You probably need to calm down. If you can't see the logic behind having a guy like Martin on board to keep the young guys from being pushed around, then I'm not sure what to tell you

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
He was playing with Cizikas and Clutterbuck who are probably closer to 3rd line guys then 4th line guys....

Dorsett 4 @ $2.65M
Hansen 4 @ $2.5M
Raffl 3 @ $2.35M
Weise 4 @ $2.35M

Do those guys bring the energy he does? Block shots and kills penalties like he does? I doubt it but lets go look at the stats of the other free agents and sign them now.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
My Targets for Free Agency

Martin
Demers
Wisniewski

1 down, 2 to go. Even if we stop here and sign no one else, I think we will be fine.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
I have no doubt that management feels like they're playing with house money with the cash they didn't spend on Stamkos. Russel would be such a bad contract

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
2.5M for a 4th line guy man? You're telling me you can't find a dude to hit people for less?

Hitting people is one thing bit martin is not Orr.
He skates well knows how to cycle and can score when set up in a sweet spot. 2.5 mil for 10-13 goals, toughness and a smart player is not horrible.
Also he will probably bounce between lines 3 and 4 with spot duty in the top 6 as a deterrent.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Yes....I can do this too, oh and I actually watch other teams besides the Leafs.

Absolutley not

You probably need to calm down. If you can't see the logic behind having a guy like Martin on board to keep the young guys from being pushed around, then I'm not sure what to tell you

Sign John Scott for 550k if you're worried about the kids. I don't know what to tell you if you think signing a 4th line guy for 4 years at 2.5M per is a good idea. I have some magic beans I can sell if you're that stupid.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
He was playing with Cizikas and Clutterbuck who are probably closer to 3rd line guys then 4th line guys....

Dorsett 4 @ $2.65M
Hansen 4 @ $2.5M
Raffl 3 @ $2.35M
Weise 4 @ $2.35M

What's a nylander, marner, Mathews concussion worth if the marchands of the world know there is no one to protect them. I hate the traditional enforcer but you need something.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
66c2355d05b44f308d8a854a7d33bc0f.jpg

Absolutely post of the day material :laugh:

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Yes....I can do this too, oh and I actually watch other teams besides the Leafs.

Sign John Scott for 550k if you're worried about the kids. I don't know what to tell you if you think signing a 4th line guy for 4 years at 2.5M per is a good idea. I have some magic beans I can sell if you're that stupid.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Enjoy your senseless rage though.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

No.... you clearly don't....

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Was my first thought. We can leave him and Lupul exposed as Laich, Michalek, and Greening will all be off the books.

Since Shanahan took over the Leafs, almost everything they do has an angle that people don't always immediately recognize.

When I saw the $2.5 million average my first thought was: "That might be attractive to Vegas. A solid veteran, with a low cap hit, who can play for a couple of years while they build up their organization."

Each team can lose only one player in the expansion draft.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Do those guys bring the energy he does? Block shots and kills penalties like he does? I doubt it but lets go look at the stats of the other free agents and sign them now.

Hitting people is one thing bit martin is not Orr.
He skates well knows how to cycle and can score when set up in a sweet spot. 2.5 mil for 10-13 goals, toughness and a smart player is not horrible.
Also he will probably bounce between lines 3 and 4 with spot duty in the top 6 as a deterrent.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Enjoy your senseless rage though.

No.... you clearly don't....

Is everyone on ******** glue today?

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Fun fact: we're currently paying Phil Kessel and Tim Gleason more money than Matt Martin next year

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Nice! I like this one. $2.5M is really not very much guys

Very true. Folks that don't like it haven't seen the guy play. The fan base is gonna freakin' love this guy. Komarov's heart... in a guy that's as big as a house.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

I think you're taking this a little hard man. Ya it's 4 years, $2.5M isn't going to stop us from signing any of our kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad