GDT: GOT Episode 3 The Battle of Winterfell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is probably accurate. I think he may have given them some bullet points, but actually putting it together these last couple seasons was almost entirely up to the showrunners.

I actually suspect the Others will be dealt with in even less climactic fashion due to not having one set leader. Blow in like a bad snow storm and lose to a magic spell or something.

For all intents and purposes the Night King is a myth in the books.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
What would the dragon have done that Theon didn't, ultimately? If they had a dragon protect Bran only to have the Night King not be affected whatsoever by the fire, it would have been pointless, and there would be countless more wights killing the soldiers. And I'm sure the lot of you would complain about that tactical blunder.
Not to mention a dragon in the godswood would potentially start a devastating fire to the kid they're supposed to be protecting. It's an enclosed forest. That+fire isn't a great combo.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I think GRRM still has no idea what to do with the rest of the series.

IMO he's lost interest in writing the series, but enjoys the fame it's brought him and thus doesn't have the heart to publicly admit it's not happening.

I don't blame him, especially after the toxic reception to The Last Jedi. Enjoy getting five figures for improvising dumbass questions at conventions.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
What would the dragon have done that Theon didn't, ultimately? If they had a dragon protect Bran only to have the Night King not be affected whatsoever by the fire, it would have been pointless, and there would be countless more wights killing the soldiers. And I'm sure the lot of you would complain about that tactical blunder.

well the dragon could maybe chomp on him a bit. or pick him up and carry him away.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You're right. I forgot that you have to stab the Night King to kill him.

I'm not good at this.
Well also, like in the post I just sent. Put a dragon in an enclosed forest and it has the danger of not ending particularly well for the human they're using as bait.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
More likely that GRRM legitimately had no idea what to do with the rest of the series at that point, and what he told them may as well have been nothing (and the assurance that it's any more than that is mostly just PR lip-service on the showrunner's part), IMO.

I'm holding on to the slim hope that this isn't the case. If it is ... just, what a waste.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As for baiting the Night King that was very obvious with the "kill the head vampire, all the vampires die/become human again" effect. I didn't have a problem with that. It's as viable a strategy as trying to bottleneck a relentless horde.
In your mind, what was the plan that was in place to kill the head vampire once successfully baited, though? Was Theon supposed to do it with his pack of normal arrows?

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I mean in fairness, even at Hardhome they didn't use that many white walkers. It was what? Like four total?
Couldn’t tell you tbh, it’s been awhile. Totally blundered his gamble giving away the weakness to them though :biglaugh:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Plus we've already seen a dragon isn't gonna do dick to the Night King

I mean... we only found that out this episode. IIRC their plan going in as explained by the writers post-episode was for the dragons to actually be able to "do dick" to the NK. According to them the only reason the dragons were on the field was because Dany got emotional watching the Dothraki die at the start.

That being said, perhaps the original plan would have involved having dragons near Bran, had Dany not ran off.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Tbh I should have used the term confirmation bias as that would've been more correct, but as you said some people will love this, some will hate it and either side will take what they loved/hated and use it to color their entire argument.

And for what it's worth I don't know if I can call this a total masterpiece, in truth the Dothraki charge does kind of bother me from a tactical perspective even if the shot of the sword lights going out somewhat cures it. However, I do think it's quite an achievement in filmmaking for the television medium and a hell of a spectacle. From there it's my personal opinion that a lot of what was done worked and worked well. Others may not like the implications on the story, or may not feel as I did about the effect of the fog of war, and that's a personal opinion either way. But I don't think any of us on either side genuinely believe that having an opposing viewpoint makes the other a moron or anything like that.

“It’s an achievement for filmmaking” is overreaching. This series has the budget of a major motion picture. The visuals and overall production should no longer come as any surprise. This looked no more or less impressive than Return of the King looked 16 years ago.

The implications for the rest of the story really can’t be overstated here. Sauron is dead. Now we have to sit through 3 episodes of the Scouring of the Shire.

I may feel differently about this episode if Cersei had already been dealt with. But again, it completely undermines the entire narrative thrust of the story. What kind of conclusion with the Iron Throne can possibly top literally saving humanity? It’s a huge misstep in rising action, climax, and falling action.

Too many characters made strange decisions or made no decisions at all to give this episode a pass on “visual spectacle” alone. It was far too predictable, far too trope ridden, far too reliant on characters not communicating effectively or outright making poor decisions for the sake of tension. How many of us predicted the Stark Crypt Zombies? I even went as far to predict that WOULDN’T happen because it was so hilariously obvious. When left to their own, the Ds have always struggled with plot contrivances. This episode is no different.

Just a major disappointment for me. The first half was great, though. Miguel remains a fantastic director.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Well also, like in the post I just sent. Put a dragon in an enclosed forest and it has the danger of not ending particularly well for the human they're using as bait.

You bring up some excellent points about the dangers of placing a dragon in the forest which I haven't previously considered.

Reactions: HanSolo

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Well in the earlier seasons main characters got killed. And when it happened, it wasn't obvious. It was generally very cleverly done, because afterwards, it made a lot of sense why they had been killed. Pretty much all the characters that died in this episode you could see coming from a mile away. That didn't use to be the case with this show.

With the exception of the Red Wedding, they were ridiculously obvious to me in earlier seasons. Both when it happened in the books and in the show. The Hound being the gravedigger was also super obvious. Quentyn getting burned to death is also mega obvious. The real surprises are in characters who reappear and go on to do nothing because GRRM couldn't bear to let go of them. Tommen going for a header on the other hand is a genuine shock.

There are so many more but I don't care to go over them. The strength of the show is not in surprising deaths but rather the political alliances, the twists and turns that go along with them. The problem with the latter seasons is that those alliances were all effectively destroyed, leaving us with a much smaller group of characters. I did really like the last three episodes though. The battle scenes here were excellently filmed.

Reactions: Saskatoon

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I actually suspect the Others will be dealt with in even less climactic fashion due to not having one set leader. Blow in like a bad snow storm and lose to a magic spell or something.

For all intents and purposes the Night King is a myth in the books.

That's the thing, some people are expecting a better ending in the books, but the guy writing the damn things can't even seem to get to the point where there is an ending. I think those people may be setting themselves up for even more disappointment.

Reactions: Saskatoon

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
In your mind, what was the plan that was in place to kill the head vampire once successfully baited, though? Was Theon supposed to do it with his pack of normal arrows?
No, the plan was for Jon to watch and wait for the Night King to arrive at the Godswood so they could blitz him. That was the original plan. Jon didn't want to jump into battle "the Night King is coming" and he left Dany's side to go after Bran but just failed to get there cause there was a dragon blocking his path. It wasn't a contingency he was expecting.

Reactions: Vex

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
922F1C55-0577-4EA9-B595-88A92C3F9469.jpeg

Reactions: HanSolo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad