GDT: GOT Episode 3 The Battle of Winterfell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Regarding the lighting, fog of war, blizzard, etc., both times I watched the episode my entire house was pitch black, so I didn't really have a problem seeing what was happening. It was chaos, but I enjoyed that.

Reactions: Saskatoon

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ahh right, that's what that was. I saw one of them skidding down, but it wasn't obvious to me that it was because it was too hurt to fight. Seemed like it was just bracing itself from the collision or something.

I think the cue that Rhaegal was alive but hurt was that he didn’t come back as a second dragon zombie when the NK raised the dead.

Visarian breatging Fire with half is face torn off was pretty damn narly.

Reactions: Saskatoon

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Regarding the lighting, fog of war, blizzard, etc., both times I watched the episode my entire house was pitch black, so I didn't really have a problem seeing what was happening. It was chaos, but I enjoyed that.

Same, but I do get where people are coming from with that. Without perfect conditions it’s hard to see.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Saving the bigger deaths for the clear battlefield near King's Landing.

Honestly I think characters survived tonight to lure us into a false sense of security. Well some of them.

The main bunch are legit safe and always were. Tyrion, Arya, Dany, etc were never ever going to die.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm surprised you folks haven't brought up the television device where a character asks a question to another character, but then it cuts to a different scene.

That's what the nitpicking of tropes has come to, in my mind, complaining that the television show is doing television things.

That was literally my first post in this thread and a somewhat fair one, IMO, and you immediately mocked it and lumped me in with "you folks." Are you trying to make enemies of anyone who has a slightly less positive opinion than you?

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ahh right, that's what that was. I saw one of them skidding down, but it wasn't obvious to me that it was because it was too hurt to fight. Seemed like it was just bracing itself from the collision or something.
My take was that it was all the scratches to the stomach that left pretty big gashes. I'm not gonna lie, at first I wasn't sure which dragon that happened to. But given it was Rhaegal that crashed, I figured it must have been him.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
That was literally my first post in this thread and a somewhat fair one, IMO, and you immediately mocked it and lumped me in with "you folks." Are you trying to make enemies of anyone who has a slightly less positive opinion than you?

I'm seeing the same kinds of posts from others. I commented on it. Some of the complaints have been ridiculous to me.

Again, I don't care if anyone disliked it. It's a television show. We all have our opinions. No one is wrong. It's a forum. We are here to discuss.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I’ve never once complained about Jon not slaying the Night King?

I’m complaining about the NK turning out to be just a Generic Dark Lord replete with poor and/or vague motivations and a predictable hubris related downfall.

I’m also complaining that the show blew its true emotional and narrative climax in Episode Three, and clearly is not in touch with its own internal stakes.
I made a comment about the NK raising the dead vs Jon after showing off at Hardhome and it turned into basically me being triggered Jon didn’t slay the NK :dunno:

I posted last week, or the week before that I thought for sure that Jaime would slay him protecting Bran, similar to Arya, but dying in the process. I couldn’t care less that Jon didn’t slay him, or it didn’t live up to my supposed ultimate fantasy, but my opinions must’ve conflicted with peoples inner feelings.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

On a re-watch I got to see lot more too haha.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
And A Song of Ice and Fire originally became famous within the fantasy fiction community because it SUBVERTED those celebrated Tolkienian tropes. It was different. It was interesting and fresh. It didn’t have Generic Dark Lords and Human Maguffins and Cut the Head Off the Snake Plans.

Surely you can understand why a series famous for subverting fantasy tropes is now being criticized for falling back on said fantasy tropes, no?

No. And no.

GRRM used the humans as the political tool and it still is the endgame of the show.
And he used the NK as an overarching plot device. In the humans vs undead story, it was always "fantasy tropes", just the road there is/was different.

NK was always going to get defeated (though who kills him in the books might still differ).
Same as how Stannis, Euron etc. are all expendable pieces to move the plot for the "main" characters.

The show is "predictable" NOW because of:
a) character arcs are coming to a close
b) everyone and their mother reading up on every theory in the world

All these characters and stories are told for a reason, with purpose.
Every character's death came either at the end of their story arc (or there's no point in telling their story), or if their story puts bigger events in motion (like Ned or Robb).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad