GDT: GDT: Game 17 Blues @ the quickly falling avalanche 2/20/13 9PM NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
It really is bush when the NHL and NBC show off about their contract and how many divisions and sister channels NBC Sports has. And what happens, there is no back up whatsoever even for the Denver and St. Louis markets. NBC Sports has a 15.6% stake in the NHL Network and the game wasn't even on that channel while the exciting Penn state rival game took longer to finish. Wake up NBC.

According to their contract on Wednesday nights NHLN is not able to show any kind of live programming until after the NBCSN game is over. That is why they have BS programming on on Wednesday instead of NHL on the Fly

This was a huge issue for me as well.

Sobotka was on this ice, I was shocked he didn't at least do -something.- I think Berglund running into the goalie twice might have been his response.

I don't like the hit. PPoC was the head. The onus is -always- on the hitter not to make the head the PPoC. If you know you're hitting a guy who's 6-7 inches shorter then you, you need to be even more sure you're hitting him square in the shoulder or chest. Oliver didn't, not to mention it looks in the still shots like he made initial contact with his forearm, which is also illegal.

Overall, I thought we played a really good game. We looked much more like the team we were last season, extended O-zone time, leaving our zone quickly and, more importantly, crisply. Varlamov played a great game, and Halak comparatively played so-so. I would have liked to see him make that save, he was super deep in his crease and there was -tons- of space to shoot...I know it went off Shattenkirk's stick, but with proper positioning that hits him in the shoulder.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit sick of Backes right now. I feel like Cole and Steen and some other players have been getting a ton of flack on this board, and he's been getting a pass. He has ONE goal this season against a goalie. I know he's probably been struggling with a groin issue for the last 2-3 games, but that doesn't excuse the first 15. If we have any hope of winning a Cup, I think we need to seriously look into upgrading the #1 C spot, MUCH more so then finding AP's partner. AP was fine with Carlo I'm going to the ER every night Coliacovo all last season until he tweaked his knee. Cole has been a little inconsistent, but he's been fine for the most part. Do I think he's the guy I want next to AP in the playoffs? Not really. But I know that I would rather have RoR or Getzlaf or some other really good Center vs getting Yandle or Staal at this point in all truth.

Principle point of contact was the body Initial point of contact was the head. Olver is 5' 10' he is not 6-7 inches taller Tarasenko was bent down and leaning over.

You cannot blame the goal on Halak there were 3 blues players lined up on the blue line and they all just backed up letting Jones skate wherever he wanted to take a wide open shot. If they pressure him at the line he never has the opportunity to take a shot.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Clean hit or not, Oliver has an ass-whuppin coming the next time the teams meet. My namesake would have made sure it happened.

Even Chase said it would have been stupid to do something last night, but he also said next game no one would be off limits

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Due to the mobile version of this website crapping out horribly recently I can finally start posting without having to hit refresh twice per page because of ads.

Hit was clean-ish. Clear head contact, however as stated multiple times, he was either going to hit him from behind(which would have been bad also) or this. Supplementary discipline could go either way because that's just how consistent it is. You could tell if he had turned a second later it likely would've been shoulder to shoulder. Obviously not a fan of the result. Even less of a fan of no one seriously challenging Olver, that reflects how we have played recently, as in no one wanting to play "rough and tumble" hockey. Stewart, Oshie, Berglund and Sobotka have been our hardest battling forwards. Hell, even Jackman is battling harder in offensive corners than some forwards.

Now it's time for my opinion on Frank's play as of late. Playing with Bergie and Sobotka has been quite a shift for him. He appears to be able to park in the slot and await a pass to rifle at the goalie. Unfortunately he seems to be positioned poorly as his shots always get blocked by a defender right in the way or someone gets a stick in the way. On the rush if he is challenged he doesn't appear to be able to make any passes or moves to advance the puck, and then after dumping it in or making a pass he will just stand there and not try and get in a better position. This happens multiple times per game and is a serious concern. I noticed this a few games ago and wondered if he was shying away from contact, which seemed unusual from earlier games.

Maybe I'm seeing things.
You're not seeing things. That's his game that he's always played. This is an entirely different system and size rink than he's used to. He's not used to people dropping down to block shots all the time. He is very good at getting open, which is why I want to see him with Perron since no one can get open for Perron. I've counted multiple times last night how many times a small pass to Tarasenko could have lead to him rip a shot, instead we were taking shots at the goalies chest.

Tarasenko is still young and I'm certain that he will be able to adapt. In the meantime he's next to useless considering none of our players are as offensively gifted as they need to be for him to score all the time.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Avs fan here just to say I hope Tarasenko is alright. Legal or not, Olver should have held back on that hit IMO. Hate seeing all these young skill guys going down, I wish him the best.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I think the bigger adaptation for Tarasenko is to Hitchcock's style of play, not to the rink size. IMO, he's having to think about where to be on the ice and what to do with the puck when he has it. He's a great fit for this team and a great talent, but that doesn't mean it won't take him awhile to internalize all the differences that he's being asked to make. I have no doubt that what we're seeing will all go away in time.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I think the bigger adaptation for Tarasenko is to Hitchcock's style of play, not to the rink size. IMO, he's having to think about where to be on the ice and what to do with the puck when he has it. He's a great fit for this team and a great talent, but that doesn't mean it won't take him awhile to internalize all the differences that he's being asked to make. I have no doubt that what we're seeing will all go away in time.

Exactly. Even though he has played years with men before he still is only 21 years old in a new country with new teammates, and his family isn't around all the time either. It's nothing that time can't take care of.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
Pretty much was the same thing for Stewart and he is doing very well right now. Tarasenko has been getting better every game so that is good.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Hey guys, I was watching the game yesterday and was surprised to find that Hitch paired Jackman and Polak. I also saw Russell and Shattenkirk paired together at times too. Those are some, uh, interesting choices. Can anyone explain the thinking behind them?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hey guys, I was watching the game yesterday and was surprised to find that Hitch paired Jackman and Polak. I also saw Russell and Shattenkirk paired together at times too. Those are some, uh, interesting choices. Can anyone explain the thinking behind them?

Wish I could.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Situational usage only for the most part. If Hitch can leverage a situation (important defensive/offensive zone draw, or to optimize an opponent matchup), he's not opposed to breaking up the pairings to do it. It'll normally take a shift or two for the pairings to normalize after it happens.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I thought Jackman/Polak was a great shut-down pairing back a couple years, prior to Hitchcock, but that they weren't good enough in transition under his system.

2 things come to mind.

1) Jackman is playing very well right now, and I think he's functioning well enough in transition to allow for this pairing.
2) That losing streak showed off the warts on the Blues D-corps. Hitchcock needed a reliable shut-down pairing to put out there...so Polak/Jackman were re-united. I don't think it will last long, though. Once the team gets playing Blues hockey like last year, I think we'll see Jackman/Shattenkirk paired together again. Probably Redden/Polak and Cole/Pietro. Russell is playing himself out of the line-up, although I do think he was one of the few guys with some gas in the tank in the 3rd period vs Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad