GDT: GDT: Game 17 Blues @ the quickly falling avalanche 2/20/13 9PM NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
I think VT will be alright. Looked more like a KO in a fight than a concussion. Might need a game or two. Luckily the Blues only play two games in the next week.

I hope Im right. He looked a bit like Cooke after Kane worked him.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Shame we lose a player because Olver isn't smart enough to read the situation.

I'm somewhat bothered that no one stuck up for him, but at the same time realize that we'd have been shorthanded afterward so I'm not really sure what to think at this point.

Anyone else sick of these drop passes to no one that keep resulting in turnovers?

Appleanche

Jan 15, 2013
Asheville, NC
Good luck convincing any Colorado fans it was dirty. They're all putting it all squarely on Tarasenko. Yea he turned but that ****er came in at his head all the way.

Avs fans know how you feel, I mean you'll still find a ton of Avs fans that think the hit on Landeskog was dirty. It completely sucks to lose one of your best and youngest players on a hit. It's a pretty similar play. First off Tarasenko was turning, low, and had his head down..

tarasenko_medium.gif

If you look at it in motion, it looks like to me there is no head contact. At least in the intentional going at him way, if there was any it looks like secondary action after he hit him in the chest.

Hope he's back soon.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Avs fans know how you feel, I mean you'll still find a ton of Avs fans that think the hit on Landeskog was dirty. It completely sucks to lose one of your best and youngest players on a hit. It's a pretty similar play. First off Tarasenko was turning, low, and had his head down..

tarasenko_medium.gif

If you look at it in motion, it looks like to me there is no head contact. At least in the intentional going at him way, if there was any it looks like secondary action after he hit him in the chest.

Hope he's back soon.
Uhh, its pretty clear there was head contact. He was pretty clearly smoked in the right jaw by Olvers shoulder. I will say that it was a clean hit, though. Just badly placed and unfortunate for STL and Tarasenko.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
No head contact? Is that why his face was ****ing split open and he's going to a hospital? Are you really that ****ing big of a homer?! His arm is going up directly towards his head, and he gives him a shoulder to the ****ing jaw! You can argue whether it's a dirty hit or not, but you can't claim there's no head contact. That's just ****ing moronic.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
avs fan saying head is the principal point of contact.

i dont think it was malicious in the sense tarasenko seems to have turned at the last second and perhaps olver was trying to make contact with the shoulder.

should get a game in my opinion maybe 2.

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
I was afraid of that happening, games this year are running a lot longer than 2.5 hrs. Last year even a shoot game only went about 5 mins extra, the Blues game against the Ducks was just under 3 hours. At first I thought it was just because the extended intermissions but they are going longer than the extra 0-6 mins of intermission a game (depending on the team/broadcast intermissions were 15-18 mins now they are all 18).

Hopefully they will switch over to the start of the Blues game. Face off is at 9:10.
Just like I said on the Avs board, it is such a simple thing yet no common sense. The 2.5 hour window is cutting it too close, just make it 2 hour 45 min or 50 min when NBCSN does a doubleheader. Such a simple thing yet no common sense. The 2.5 hour window is cutting it too close, just make it 2 hour 45 min or 50 min when NBCSN does a doubleheader. If the second game is in the Mtn TZ, the eastern game must start at 6 CT.

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
I vaguely recall the possibility that the game will be on NHL Network, but I could easily be mistaken.

In the past the network has switched over early for the corresponding markets or bumped the game to NHL Network.

yeah right, Pitt/Phil still on it's the east coast biased NBC Sports network.
It really is bush when the NHL and NBC show off about their contract and how many divisions and sister channels NBC Sports has. And what happens, there is no back up whatsoever even for the Denver and St. Louis markets. NBC Sports has a 15.6% stake in the NHL Network and the game wasn't even on that channel while the exciting Penn state rival game took longer to finish. Wake up NBC.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Who was on the ice with Tarasenko? No one goes after him? Leave your skirts at home girls. Need to send a message that Tarasenko is untouchable. None of our defenseman step in? No Steen? Sorry no excuse. Didn't get to see game last night, but that is a sure sign that we need to come together as a team. No leadership. I give Redden credit for dropping his gloves a couple games ago.

Fred Murtz

Jan 20, 2009
^^^ THis. Not one Blue went after Olver. Freaking shameful. This ain't a team like Hitch said, INDIVIDUALS stood around as Frank was helped off the ice.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
My opinion of the Tarasenko hit is that he was hit shoulder to chest which cause his head to hit the shoulder as well. That is why his mouth was bleeding. The more I think about it the more I think Tarasenko had the wind knocked out of him more then anything. Either way it wasn't intentional head contact.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Unfortunate contact to the head, but I don't think Olver had the intent to put the guy out. He could have buried him through the boards at full speed if he wanted to, but was actually going for a shoulder-to-shoulder check until Tarasenko turned(not his fault either). Just one of those plays in such a high speed game that simply happen. Sucked seeing that glazed look on his face, though. Hope he's alright.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Due to the mobile version of this website crapping out horribly recently I can finally start posting without having to hit refresh twice per page because of ads.

Hit was clean-ish. Clear head contact, however as stated multiple times, he was either going to hit him from behind(which would have been bad also) or this. Supplementary discipline could go either way because that's just how consistent it is. You could tell if he had turned a second later it likely would've been shoulder to shoulder. Obviously not a fan of the result. Even less of a fan of no one seriously challenging Olver, that reflects how we have played recently, as in no one wanting to play "rough and tumble" hockey. Stewart, Oshie, Berglund and Sobotka have been our hardest battling forwards. Hell, even Jackman is battling harder in offensive corners than some forwards.

Now it's time for my opinion on Frank's play as of late. Playing with Bergie and Sobotka has been quite a shift for him. He appears to be able to park in the slot and await a pass to rifle at the goalie. Unfortunately he seems to be positioned poorly as his shots always get blocked by a defender right in the way or someone gets a stick in the way. On the rush if he is challenged he doesn't appear to be able to make any passes or moves to advance the puck, and then after dumping it in or making a pass he will just stand there and not try and get in a better position. This happens multiple times per game and is a serious concern. I noticed this a few games ago and wondered if he was shying away from contact, which seemed unusual from earlier games.

Maybe I'm seeing things.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I don't have a huge problem with the hit.

I have a huge problem with the lack of response to it by this team.

This was a huge issue for me as well.

Sobotka was on this ice, I was shocked he didn't at least do -something.- I think Berglund running into the goalie twice might have been his response.

I don't like the hit. PPoC was the head. The onus is -always- on the hitter not to make the head the PPoC. If you know you're hitting a guy who's 6-7 inches shorter then you, you need to be even more sure you're hitting him square in the shoulder or chest. Oliver didn't, not to mention it looks in the still shots like he made initial contact with his forearm, which is also illegal.

Overall, I thought we played a really good game. We looked much more like the team we were last season, extended O-zone time, leaving our zone quickly and, more importantly, crisply. Varlamov played a great game, and Halak comparatively played so-so. I would have liked to see him make that save, he was super deep in his crease and there was -tons- of space to shoot...I know it went off Shattenkirk's stick, but with proper positioning that hits him in the shoulder.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit sick of Backes right now. I feel like Cole and Steen and some other players have been getting a ton of flack on this board, and he's been getting a pass. He has ONE goal this season against a goalie. I know he's probably been struggling with a groin issue for the last 2-3 games, but that doesn't excuse the first 15. If we have any hope of winning a Cup, I think we need to seriously look into upgrading the #1 C spot, MUCH more so then finding AP's partner. AP was fine with Carlo I'm going to the ER every night Coliacovo all last season until he tweaked his knee. Cole has been a little inconsistent, but he's been fine for the most part. Do I think he's the guy I want next to AP in the playoffs? Not really. But I know that I would rather have RoR or Getzlaf or some other really good Center vs getting Yandle or Staal at this point in all truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad