GDT: Free Agent Frenzy (was 2017 Offseason Talk II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Sounds like this to be a sign and trade based on something I read. If that is the case, it will be more than "trading rights".

If IK is really interested in Columbus, like the reports say, I'm kind of curious why. Friends with Bob or something? We are on a decent team on the rise, but that is necessarily unique.

Ultimately the market will decide. How many teams with mutual interest with the cap space? I can't see that being more than 5, so that might limit their return unless some type of bidding war occurs after the FA cools down.

Yes, but it still is the same concept. The player won't play for the team that owns his rights. So, that team has to trade him somewhere else. The only difference is NJ has to sign him first. Either way, Kovalchuk isn't playing for them.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yes, but it still is the same concept. The player won't play for the team that owns his rights. So, that team has to trade him somewhere else. The only difference is NJ has to sign him first. Either way, Kovalchuk isn't playing for them.

This response is quite confusing, it is pretty well know that he isn't going to play for NJ. Not sure how you got from my response to yours.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Agreed. Stunned that the NJ fans seem to be expecting something along the lines of Murray, Abramov, or Bjorkstrand in return.

Even if NJ had any leverage I wouldn't deal any of those three for Kovalchuk. As it is I'd offer them someone like Thurkauf and tell them to take it or tell Kovy he's going back to Russia.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Even if NJ had any leverage I wouldn't deal any of those three for Kovalchuk. As it is I'd offer them someone like Thurkauf and tell them to take it or tell Kovy he's going back to Russia.

That's way too much. I'd offer them a really low pick or prospect. If they say no, they just get nothing. Let him go to another team if they are dumb enough to offer more.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
That's way too much. I'd offer them a really low pick or prospect. If they say no, they just get nothing. Let him go to another team if they are dumb enough to offer more.
The tough part is finding a prospect low enough on the totem pole to offer but who also has a shot to be more than AHL depth. Would they want Scott or Maletta? Or Vainio?

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
With Chicago moving Panarin, and Kovy having interest that is probably the most likely landing spot. If they can make the cap work for them, remember they have Hossa's cap hit to play with.

Saad replaces Hossa. Kovy replaces Panarin. Makes sense if they can do it.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I doubt he ends up in Chicago. Doesn't seem like a Western Conf player.

Practically guaranteed top PP duty in his favorite spot opposite perhaps the best playmaker/PP QB in the league...

...I think he could be swayed.

Here he'd have to compete with Panarin and Cam for that spot. If you plan to spend 6+ on him you have to deploy him on the top PP unit. That's where his huge value is... And why I am not sure of the fit for us. I wouldn't expect a 6+ 5 on 5 performer.

Last edited:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Practically guaranteed top PP duty in his favorite spot opposite perhaps the best playmaker/PP QB in the league...

...I think he could be swayed.

Here he'd have to compete with Panarin and Cam for that spot. If you plan to spend 6+ on him you have to deploy him on the top PP unit. That's where his huge value is... And why I am not sure of the fit.

Has Chicago even expressed a modicum of interest? I've yet to see them mentioned other than in a highly speculative tweet by a Russian reporter.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Has Chicago even expressed a modicum of interest? I've yet to see them mentioned other than in a highly speculative tweet by a Russian reporter.

To be fair, Slava isn't just another reporter throwing crap out. This isn't Portzline. He does have some credibility with overseas players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad