GDT: Free Agent Frenzy (was 2017 Offseason Talk II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
wow, there is a complete lack of respect for Dubinsky around here. I guess Dubinsky doesn't even rank as a decent stopgap 2C around here.

Dubinsky does a lot of things for this team but if he is the best two center we have, we aren't winning anything. (Not like I think this team is ready for that anyways)

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I would have to imagine that he would be much less expensive to acquire than Duchene and at worst be a decent stopgap at 2C until PLD is ready. He can put up some decent numbers if he has at least some talent around him, which he definitely hasn't had lately.

That said, I doubt he's even available given the Devils need all the scoring they can get.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I like the idea of Henrique as part of the kovy trade.

Everyone is getting stuck up on line numbers. Throw Wennberg, Panarin and Bjorkstrand/Atkinson every offensive situation you can and roll the other 3 lines in defensive situations. Whoever is playing hot is going to get a first Crack at it. If their not playing well it's good to have another competent line to pick up the slack.

Since Henrique can play LW/C it would give us the flexibility with PLD. Same could be said for Duchene, but I think in that scenario Dubinsky would move to the wing if PLD was ready to takeover.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Henrique is less than 50% on faceoffs. Keep in mind that has been a huge weakness for the team. Duchene was over 62% last season. Any centers that get acquired need to be able to win a face off. Dubinsky can't be the only one.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
After reading JK interview on dispatch this morning i don't have a feeling that they after Kovy at all.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think there's more upside to Henrique as 2C vs. Duby as a 2C.

That said, it likely won't come to pass anyways.

I wasn't comparing players, only making an observation. I really had no opinion on your idea, but I'll add this.

I have no desire to bring in a stop gap so we can move a 5.75 or so million dollar player down the lineup. This is probably one of the more baffling positions that most of our fans have taken in regards to Dubinsky moving forward.

We have some saying "well third line wasn't what it used to be"; yet they still have the top six versus bottom six bias in their mind(s). Some seem to want to build some uber and expensive 3rd line around him while claiming he's clearly declining.

I have no idea what's going on with our fan base on this guy. It's like they both like him while they don't like him game. It's some weird paradigm. I'm not sure our fans really have thought about him moving forward, just kind of assume he's going to be around.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
After reading JK interview on dispatch this morning i don't have a feeling that they after Kovy at all.

Reading it, I didn't get a feeling one way or another. If the CBJ have interest, the real question is going to be what NJ wants for him. If I had a feeling, I would think that Duchene was the priority. You want all assets on the table for that move, so you probably wouldn't want to sign IK first.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

After reading that interview. I started to think. it takes a long time to develop defensemen compared to forwards. The Jackets have a very strong D core. Why not wait until some sort of deal for a ready to pop young forward comes along due to some other team's cap woes (Saad) or poor fit (Drouin) or player unhappiness (!@#$!@ to LA Kings). I bet Galchenyuk gets to that point very soon.

While a #1 C would be ideal, Wennberg is a lower tier #1 and center ice could be bolstered behind him at lower cost by getting a Malhotra/Vermette type faceoff monster #2/3 C while upgrading the forward group through the type of trades above plus growth by the current prospects.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Reading it, I didn't get a feeling one way or another. If the CBJ have interest, the real question is going to be what NJ wants for him. If I had a feeling, I would think that Duchene was the priority. You want all assets on the table for that move, so you probably wouldn't want to sign IK first.

IMO, I wouldn't trade anything more than teams do when they trade for the rights of a player. It is usually a low draft pick.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
IMO, I wouldn't trade anything more than teams do when they trade for the rights of a player. It is usually a low draft pick.
Shero said, “I don’t want to be an impediment for him getting back in the league. My intent is not to keep him out of the league but i'm not going to trade Kovalchuk for “pennies on the dollar.â€

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Shero said, “I don’t want to be an impediment for him getting back in the league. My intent is not to keep him out of the league but i'm not going to trade Kovalchuk for “pennies on the dollar.â€Â

That is good for him. I didn't say what he would do. I said what I would do. Kovalchuk isn't going to play for them. it will either be for another team or in the KHL. They have almost 0 leverage. If they don't want to trade him for a late round pick, Kovalchuk can stay in the KHL or play for someone other than Columbus.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Its mid-day over in Russia... has Mr. Attention made up his mind yet?

I don't know. Are you gonna talk chit about all of the other players who haven't signed yet? Also, it isn't as simple as him signing. A team has to want to sign him and also be willing to trade NJ what they want for him.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I don't know. Are you gonna talk chit about all of the other players who haven't signed yet? Also, it isn't as simple as him signing. A team has to want to sign him and also be willing to trade NJ what they want for him.

Thank you Captain Obvious, I had no idea what his decision entailed. :laugh:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Sounds like this to be a sign and trade based on something I read. If that is the case, it will be more than "trading rights".

If IK is really interested in Columbus, like the reports say, I'm kind of curious why. Friends with Bob or something? We are on a decent team on the rise, but that is necessarily unique.

Ultimately the market will decide. How many teams with mutual interest with the cap space? I can't see that being more than 5, so that might limit their return unless some type of bidding war occurs after the FA cools down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad