Olympics: GDT Finland VS Switzerland

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
In 2006 Finland had the dream tournament, beating everybody who was everybody (Russia, Canada, you name it) until Saku Koivu's stick broke. Meanwhile in Sweden... they coasted to the final even losing on purpose (yes yes Foppa denies but we all know the truth)

Now, we'd have the easiest route to the Final - to win (*knock on wood*), JUSTICE! :D

Reactions: THE JAM and mattihp

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
34 shots on goal and scored once. While Finland had 23 shots and scored five times. Switzerland in a nutshell.

Hope they fire Fischer. Only won one game…

The problems sure go deeper than Fischer alone. No Swiss player outside the NHL players can be relied on goals. No winner mentality either. We always hear about the missing luck from Fischer but you have to make your own luck once in a while and if Meier, Josi, Schwerwey are not on the roster thats not going to happen. I would still give another coach a chance now, Fischers record is just not good enough. Outside the WC 2018 every tournament he coached has been a disapointment overall.

Reactions: WeberStreit

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This was a prime example of hockey a la Jukka Jalonen. May not look pretty but giving the opponent no chance to get anything done 5-on-5.

Also, here's your fun hockey fact of the day: Before Hartikainen sniped his empty netter, the last Finnish EN goal at the olympics that didn't involve Valtteri Filppula was scored by Mika Strömberg in 1994.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Swiss tried to play too pretty. Screen the goalie, go to the dirty areas and shots from the blueline were missing. Swzz game looked better, but it wasnt effective.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Let's see if the Swiss women will pay back now in the bronze game for the loss of men.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
That is a pretty bad take to be honest. The Swiss could have had a 5 on 3 powerplay and IF that had turned into the score being 3-2.... Yeah, whole different game from there.

Swiss was better during the last period, had a few good chances and should have had a 5 on 3 powerplay. (even if the first call was a bit rough)
If if if. Also Sweden could've won, Slovakia also and Latvia also caused trouble. And here were are with a clean record.

Sports is not about whatifs. Year after year when Finland plays it's the same song, like "How is Finland this far" or "How did Finland take medal". That is not a coincidence.

I get that if you just watch NHL hockey and coast to coast wild stuff you can't watch how Finland plays with an analytic eye. Is it entertaining? Nah. Is it effective? Yes.

Reactions: THE JAM and mattihp

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Switzerland battled honorably, but Finland had the better chances and won the game. I probably wouldn't have been mad if the Swiss won.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The problems sure go deeper than Fischer alone. No Swiss player outside the NHL players can be relied on goals. No winner mentality either. We always hear about the missing luck from Fischer but you have to make your own luck once in a while and if Meier, Josi, Schwerwey are not on the roster thats not going to happen. I would still give another coach a chance now, Fischers record is just not good enough. Outside the WC 2018 every tournament he coached has been a disapointment overall.
Can you really call 2019 a dissapointment? I think you remember it better but I was impressed with Switzerland throghout and you almost upset Canada, just lost on fluke margins. If anything 2019 was slightly above expectations.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Can you really call 2019 a dissapointment? I think you remember it better but I was impressed with Switzerland throghout and you almost upset Canada, just lost on fluke margins. If anything 2019 was slightly above expectations.

I thought we gave that game out of our hands with a way to defensive approach in the third but its debatable. It was certainly our best tournament outside 2018 in Fischers tenure but still disappointing since we had every NHL player outside of Meier on that team.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, that's impossible. Semis are Russia - Sweden and Finland - Slovakia. Lucky Finns.
Finland's lucky that the other group's so weak that even a team Finland destroyed defeated the other group's #1? No, Finland was unlucky to be in a far stronger group, and got where they are with pure skill, talent and determination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad