GDT: Finland-Czech Republic, 3:30 p.m Local Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Rask was awful against Sweden and bad against Canada, really not impressed but he did bounce back tonight and stop a few good scoring chances. Might have saved himself a top 12 draft spot tonight.

Nokelainen is a force out there, most impressive Finn I've seen.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
okay, NOW the game is over. Rask melted and let in something he should have had. Like the announcer said, Rask is tired. Finland and USA both fall victim to their own defensive ineptitude.

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
kmad said:
okay, NOW the game is over. Rask melted and let in something he should have had. Like the announcer said, Rask is tired. Finland and USA both fall victim to their own defensive ineptitude.
That reminds me on a exhibition match between Ässät and Ilves on September. Rask did all he could on two periods keeping the game on 1-0 for Ässät but in third period he was not that good letting in two very easy and two a bit tougher goals.

Maybe he is not physically ready enough yet.

And it was great to hear that Joensuu was good.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Nokelainen and Tukonen played well but still disappointed me. Korpikoski and Joensuu were good.

Mäntymää and Laakso were the only defenders that shouldn't quit hockey just yet.

I don't care what people say, Finland lost this game because of the penalties (and the ref, if you ask me. 2-3 of those penalties were miscalled). They prevented them from playing their game and more importantly they wore them down.

Also, some players were too selfish to match their talent causing Finland to lose the puck way too often.

We'll, now all I have to look forward to is the U18 later this year, hopefully Laakso will be healthy and Rask will have a better tournament. And Joensuu doesn't lose that touch.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
People are saying Joensuu looked good?? Maybe for a 16 year old he looked good, but he was absolutely outmatched physically, compared to Frolik who was playing physically and earning chances the hard way.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
How did Olesz look? I heard he scored a nice goal, but other than that, I heard he also played well but any details on how he played would be appreciated. Thanks.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Douggy said:
People are saying Joensuu looked good?? Maybe for a 16 year old he looked good, but he was absolutely outmatched physically, compared to Frolik who was playing physically and earning chances the hard way.

Outplayed physically?!

I think you watched a different match than I did. The game that I watched, showed e.g. Joensuu travelling the puck infront of the net with a defender strapped to his back...

FINNtastic

Apr 24, 2004
Make #89 said:
I think Joensuu has been very good in this game.

EDIT: Just like Epsilon said...

I second that. Considering the 2006 draft Joensuu was much better and more visible than Frolik tonight. Maybe Joensuu played more minutes but still...
Other tournament notes:
Jussi Makkonen really surprised me with his speed for such a big guy (6'4" 198lbs). He also has quite good hands. Teemu Nurmi filled his role as a 2-way forward very well. Arsi Piispanen was perhaps the biggest disappointment to me personally, he's got some soft hands but that's about all he has..he really does need to fill out his frame. He should add 20-30lbs in order to develop in to a solid scoring threat at a higher level.

Finland's problem is, has always been and probably will always be the lack of overall skill. That's quite sad but that shouldn't come as a big surprise to anyone that follows finnish hockey.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Douggy said:

Frolik was invisible. Joensuu pretty much created all the chances Finland got.

FINNtastic

Apr 24, 2004
PanthersRule said:
How did Olesz look? I heard he scored a nice goal, but other than that, I heard he also played well but any details on how he played would be appreciated. Thanks.
Simply put: the best player on the ice today, not spectacular but still very good. He showed a couple of great moves, especially one on Laakso, that was brilliant :handclap:

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
FINNtastic said:
Simply put: the best player on the ice today, not spectacular but still very good. He showed a couple of great moves, especially one on Laakso, that was brilliant :handclap:

That was. Pretty much the only time Laakso was outplayed, though.

Vic Rattlehead*

How did Marjamaki look for Finland, and how did Krejci look for the Czechs.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I watched most of the game on YLE. Can't say I was impressed by any perticular player although Olesz has his moments.

Stidi

Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
Did anyone notice that when they showed Frolik sitting on the bench, im pretty sure he had blue tape is his blade? I thought that only black or white are allowed.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Stidi said:
Did anyone notice that when they showed Frolik sitting on the bench, im pretty sure he had blue tape is his blade? I thought that only black or white are allowed.
Unless it's a WJC rule, you can use whatever tape you want I thought.

BTW, from the HF article:

Rostislav Smid and Tuukka Rask were named the players of the game.

A superprospect formed when Rostislav Olesz and Ladislav Smid join forces and evolve. Canada watch out. Rostislav Smid can score, play defense, hit, etc.... He can do it all.

j/k ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad