GDT Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Stars now 9-3-2 on the road. Despite that, Caps should have won this game as they had 3-1 and 4-3 leads. The younger players made the mistakes tonight that cost them the win.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
OV never bothered to evolve his game like other guys who played to that age and beyond. Never bothered to change his body Brady’esque to fight Father Time. IMHO he was such a great natural physical specimen that it hid these flaws to a large extent for years.
Agreed. If he wanted to continue playing like he always has, he had to cut down his weight and he didn't do it.
NAK and Wilson aren't young!
My bad. My feed cut out at times so I got the wrong players.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Way to go losers
o-hearn.gif

Reactions: troyerlaw

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
OV never bothered to evolve his game like other guys who played to that age and beyond. Never bothered to change his body Brady’esque to fight Father Time. IMHO he was such a great natural physical specimen that it hid these flaws to a large extent for years.
Agreed. Cutting weight to get some speed back would help greatly. And his puck control might be the worst in the league.

Reactions: troyerlaw

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Missed opportunities to hold the lead or build on it. Game ended in a tie, Stars were better in the shootout to get the extra point. I wouldn't call the Caps losers. That is just easy to say and lazy from any fans of the team!

Carbery will have to learn to play guys who are suited for OT/shootouts and not play fan favorites.

Let us be realistic. Stars are the higher seed in the standings, and they found a way to hang in there and get the extra point.

OV badly needs a reset and I strongly suggest he doesn't play the 2nd of back2backs. His playing time needs to be kept between 15 -18 mins. He trying to play like he's still in his late 20's when he's age 38. Look at Joe Pavelski who's age 39. Joe is still playing well, but he knows his limits. I think OV knows his limits, but he's still trying to surpass them.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I watched most of the game. I’m sure all the Ovie trolls are out tonight. Does he still lead the team in points? Just checking

I’ll catch up reading and post my thoughts later

Reactions: um

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
I watched most of the game. I’m sure all the Ovie trolls are out tonight. Does he still lead the team in points? Just checking

No one is saying he sucks, he just declined rather quickly. Still could turn it around but he is on pace for 18 goals and 50 something points.

Reactions: koalabear9301

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC

Being critical of a player isn't trolling. It's observing facts about the player. No one questions his desire to play well....he just isn't playing particularly well considering the role he plays on this team which is to produce.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Being critical of a player isn't trolling. It's observing facts about the player. No one questions his desire to play well....he just isn't playing particularly well considering the role he plays on this team which is to produce.
From what he has shown so far this season, he's not a 1st line player anymore. OV has never been known for his skating, so trying to get past younger d-men doesn't work anymore. OV needs to let his linemates do the dirty work and for him to get in open areas to shoot.

Reactions: koalabear9301

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Why can’t he be a 3rd line and PP1 player? It seems coach has already started doing that. His total ice time keeps going down
He could be a limited role player.

The issue is that the management is attempting a half-baked rebuild/retool while staying somewhat competitive. For this plan to have any hope of success Ovechkin needs to be a great top-6 player.

If not for that, sure, move him to the 3rd line and start rebuilding, if he wants to be a part of this scenario. I honestly have no idea if he does or not.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Another fun Matthew Phillips stat: he has 0 penalties this year!

Disciplined? ✅
Defensively responsible? ✅
Drives play? ✅

Need more players like him in the lineup.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Twabby man just stop! Phillips was a turnover machine in his own zone multiple times!
Yea, he made some nice plays here and there, and obviously set Kuzy up on his goal.

But, if he doesn’t make quick reads and get the puck off his stick, he’s a liability. He’s too easily erased from the play, and worse - opponents take the puck away from him with ease, often in terrible spots on the ice.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Yea, he made some nice plays here and there, and obviously set Kuzy up on his goal.

But, if he doesn’t make quick reads and get the puck off his stick, he’s a liability. He’s too easily erased from the play, and worse - opponents take the puck away from him with ease, often in terrible spots on the ice.
I'm mostly a mildly interested bystander for the Great Phillips Debate. Still, if a player, as you say, is often erased from the play in terrible spots on the ice, shouldn't this be easily observable in all the goals and scoring chances that the opposition generates from those plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad