GDT: Czech Republic vs. Switzerland, Feb 16, 1:00 PM Torino, 7:00 AM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
today, i'm proud being a swiss! ;)

Good game from each teams. Awesome job by Aebischer and Jagr, the 2 stars of the game.

After the disappointement of the game vs Finland. It's good seeing a good play by Switzerland.

Abby or Tinu Gerber vs Canada?

Ho Gainey! Look the job making by Streit! :clap:

SChan*

NyQuil said:
It's not of the same magnitude.

Round-robin games don't have the same significance.

As long as the Czechs still make the next round, it's relatively insignificant, although they may have a harder road to the final.

who said it was of the same magnitude? But I bet for swiss hockey this means a lot. I am happy :handclap:

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
This is a big win for the Swiss.

The Swiss, Germans and Czechs are all on equal footing in this group now.

Assuming every team beats Italy, the Czechs need to beat Canada or Finland and hope the Swiss and Germans don't if they want to be the 3rd seed in this group.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
OilerOlli said:
It doesn't matter, in the end Germany beats Swiss and Italy and so Germany will be in the quarterfinals and Switzerland not! :p:

Not so fast. If:

1) the Czechs lose to both Canada and Finland (a real possibility);

2) Germany loses to Canada and Finland and beats Switzerland;

3) and everyone beats Italy;

then three teams finish in a tie for third: Czech Republic, Switzerland and Germany.

The next tiebreaker would be head-to-head record among those teams, which would be also be a three-way tie. The next tiebreaker after that is head-to-head goal-differential, and Germany is already behind the eight-ball there with the three-goal loss to CR (bet they regret pulling Kolzig at the end now). Right now, the Czechs are +2 in goal differential, Switzerland is +1, and Germany is -3. So to clinch a spot, the Germans would need to beat the Swiss by at least three goals. If they beat them by two, it would put the teams into a tie for head-to-head goal differential. I'm not sure what the next tiebreaker is. Overall goal differential?

MrAlfie

am i the only one who was reminded of the OLD new york rangers when they saw the czechs playing?

OilerOlli*

moneyp said:
Not so fast. If:

1) the Czechs lose to both Canada and Finland (a real possibility);

2) Germany loses to Canada and Finland and beats Switzerland;

3) and everyone beats Italy;

then three teams finish in a tie for third: Czech Republic, Switzerland and Germany.

The next tiebreaker would be head-to-head record among those teams, which would be also be a three-way tie. The next tiebreaker after that is head-to-head goal-differential, and Germany is already behind the eight-ball there with the three-goal loss to CR (bet they regret pulling Kolzig at the end now). Right now, the Czechs are +2 in goal differential, Switzerland is +1, and Germany is -3. So to clinch a spot, the Germans would need to beat the Swiss by at least three goals. If they beat them by two, it would put the teams into a tie for head-to-head goal differential. I'm not sure what the next tiebreaker is. Overall goal differential?

Ok, thats right. But I really don't believe that the Czechs doesn't make any ponit against Canada and Finland. They will wake up after that loss against the swiss and wants rehabilitate.
I am sure when Germany beats Switzerland and Italy we will be in the quarterfinals.

MrAlfie

bleuer said:
lol...just hope that this was not the "soon-to-be" rangers ;)

nah im not worried, i think jagr and straka did a decent job, but went on par later ...looks like they got infected by the lousy play of their teammates

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NyQuil said:
It's not of the same magnitude.

Round-robin games don't have the same significance.

As long as the Czechs still make the next round, it's relatively insignificant, although they may have a harder road to the final.

You're right in that sense, and Belarus was a much bigger upset, but this is also a landmark win for the Swiss in the sense that they've been trying for years to get their hockey program on the map...and we can talk about the worlds and the other tournaments, but this is the biggest one of them all because its the Olympics. Over the past 6 or 7 years, the Czechs have been just as dominant on the international scene as Canada, and not someone with a team of only a few NHL players beat them in a best-on-best tournament.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Well I bet the IIHF and IOC are glad that this became a real tournament unlike the last 2 where the lesser countries didn't even get to play the real teams.

Uhmm...did you forget about Belarus-Sweden 4 years ago?

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
go kim johnsson 514 said:
You're right in that sense, and Belarus was a much bigger upset, but this is also a landmark win for the Swiss in the sense that they've been trying for years to get their hockey program on the map...and we can talk about the worlds and the other tournaments, but this is the biggest one of them all because its the Olympics. Over the past 6 or 7 years, the Czechs have been just as dominant on the international scene as Canada, and not someone with a team of only a few NHL players beat them in a best-on-best tournament.

Totally agree with this. I wish Germany won yesterday. I'm oficially jelous but have a lot of respect for the Suisse team right now!

OilerOlli*

GermanGirl said:
Totally agree with this. I wish Germany won yesterday. I'm oficially jelous but have a lot of respect for the Suisse team right now!

I hope the german team doesn't have so much respect for Switzerland as you. ;)

Big Mama*

Surprise, I thought the Czech's looked good yesterday. Anything can happen in these games. Nothing can be taken for granted.

shawn_kemp*

guys, guys!!! how do I become a Swiss citizen? By marrying some Swiss chick? Will it work?

aforc3

Oct 7, 2004
Switzerland;Zurich
shawn_kemp said:
guys, guys!!! how do I become a Swiss citizen? By marrying some Swiss chick? Will it work?

no problem, you have to be married 5 years with a swiss girl "citizen" to get the the passport:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad