• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The Canadian defense really impresses me. The Czech forwards had a tough time getting into the zone all night. What worries me is Jeff Glass. He wasn't tested today, and didn't look particularly sharp on a couple of shots. Maybe that was the product of having a long period between consecutive shots.

I'm confident that the Canadian defense can effectively shutdown the likes of Ovechkin or Kessel, but if they can't I'm worried about Glass. As we saw last year, even the silliest plays can make the difference. I just hope that I'm wrong about Glass in this case.

Macman

May 15, 2004
An amazing stat: of the 11 Czech shots, only three came from inside the Canadian line, according to Sportsnet. A dominating defensive performance.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think we can just concede that Canada will finally win Gold.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
I'm a little late with my comments on the game, but here it goes anyway. I think it was totally different game than what I expected. I thought Czechs could put up a better fight in first and second period, but they were almost as lousy as Finland. Only good goaltending by Schwartz and sloppy finishing by Canadians kept the score decent. Also, Canada's penalty killing was amazing again. I thought Czechs would have been able to put some pressure on Canada on PP, but they were in serious trouble with Canada's high forechecking. I was expecting a blow out third period, but wrong again. Team Canada still tried to score too pretty goals, and Czechs were able score one shorthanded. That gave them so much confidence and energy that it was a completely new hockey game at that point. I was impressed by the fact that Czechs never really gave up. With a little (or a lot of) luck they could have surprised Canada and they knew it. They didn't lose their faith like all the other teams did.

Well, in the end it still was a pretty clear victory, but it was nice to see that even this Team Canada has it's own vulnerabilities. On the other hand, it could have been better for Russia if Canada had beaten Czechs really good. Now this 3rd period might have been a good wake up call for Canadians. It reminded them that they just can't walk away with the gold. They have to remember to score the necessary goals. I'm hoping to see a good final game and I really hope Russians score first, cause then it'll get exciting.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Tricolore#20 said:
The Canadian defense really impresses me. The Czech forwards had a tough time getting into the zone all night. What worries me is Jeff Glass. He wasn't tested today, and didn't look particularly sharp on a couple of shots. Maybe that was the product of having a long period between consecutive shots.

I'm confident that the Canadian defense can effectively shutdown the likes of Ovechkin or Kessel, but if they can't I'm worried about Glass. As we saw last year, even the silliest plays can make the difference. I just hope that I'm wrong about Glass in this case.

I've been worried about Glass since the beginning, he looked really shaky at time... I too hope our defence can shutdown the Russians enough to win it... But I think that it would have been safer to use Beauchemin who looked a lot sharper in his only game.

But anyhow I think the overall power of this particular team can win it all... they.re just too good to lose

:hockey: Go Canada GO :hockey:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
rival said:
Canada was squeezing the stick a lot tonight on top of Schwarz playing well. Bergeron put it off the post while looking at a wide open net, Crosby should have had a couple (especially that early one that's been a gimme all tourney long for him), and Ladd had an easy chance to one time one home.

That was a good warmup game for the gold medal and if they play like that again I'm confident they'll take it. They had no trouble defending the lead late despite taking a penalty and some added desperation from the Czechs.
Yeah, they could have been squeezing the stick some but it could be the also
ice some and Czech style of defence the forces fanned shots.The good thing is
the team played with alot of hustle.The 3 main lines were very strong and are
going to give the Russians fits just figuring out how to play them.Dawes played his best game.Nobody mentioned the 5 penalties that Crosby/Perry drew between
them.That was a key factor in the game as they scored on the powerplay and it
also factored in on the even stregth goal as that transpired from the powerplay
pressure(also a Czech lost his stick).Also good discipline by team Canada.Whoever posted the refs were favouring team Canada didn't see the game I watched.
There were several missed penalties(Czechs) high sticking and too many men on the ice.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
wilka91 said:
From what I hear the building is full of Canadian fans ... this really sucks. North America should be just one country.
Ok, what do you mean by that? Are you thinking that those that were cheering for Canada were Americans and that's why North America should be just one country? Or do you have something against Canadians traveling south to support their national team? In case you didn't know, Grand Forks, ND is not very far from Manitoba, Canada and most of the fans cheering for Team Canada are from Winnipeg, Manitoba. You know when a tournament is hosted in Sweden, there are many Finnish fans who travel west to support Team Finland eh? Do you see something wrong in that? I'm pretty sure that if the tournament is to be held in Ukraine or Belarus that many Russian fans would be at their neighbour's territory to cheer for their national team too.

I know that you don't like Canada and North America in general but do you have to absolutely find the most ridiculous things to complain about? Get a life dude.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad