WJC: GDT: Canada – Slovakia (6:30 p.m. ET)

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Chechia (obviously under the name 'Czech Republic' formerly) seems to have been doing something very good over the last decade in developing and getting some good players to their WJC teams. It's up and down of course, but am I wrong in thinking they have shown steady improvement?

There has been a steady improvement over the past decade, but when You compare Czech teams, both men's and junior, from, say, 1996-2006, and 2012-2022, it is apparent that they are still far behind the peak they had around the turn of the millenium.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Agree. The rest of the team needs to do something. It can't just be Bedard and Stankoven busting their humps while everyone else is standing around watching.
I thought Othmann, Guenther, Dean were very involved ad contributed a lot. Zelleweger and Ostapchuk were also good in my view.

Reactions: Ciao

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
There has been a steady improvement over the past decade, but when You compare Czech teams, both men's and junior, from, say, 1996-2006, and 2012-2022, it is apparent that they are still far behind the peak they had around the turn of the millenium.
Yes, I agree with you. I think a lot of people were happy to see what looked like improvement and starting to show up with greater force again in international competition.

Reactions: BigBadBoar

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Zellweger was terrible on he PP. Never gets a shot through to the net.
You may have a point, but he's pretty mobile and carries the puck well. Not bad on the blue line offensively at all, not that easy to defend. I'm not saying he's perfect, but was just stating that he wasn't just standing around watching tonight -- quite the opposite.

Reactions: Ciao

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
He was awful.

The ice looked poor - the puck kept bouncing. The arena needs to do something about that.
That's what I've been wondering about. I thought it looked okay against Sweden early on, but seemed to see more bouncing unsettled pucks as the game wore on.
I didn't really key in on it tonight with the frenetic pace of this game.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That's what I've been wondering about. I thought it looked okay against Sweden early on, but seemed to see more bouncing unsettled pucks as the game wore on.
It seemed every time the puck was passed to the D-Men on the point, it bounced - many times over the Blue Line. Uggggg.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
It's damn near impossible to have good ice on a sheet getting used for three packed games on the same day. Especially when the building is only empty for ~1.5 hours between the final two games of the day.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
It's damn near impossible to have good ice on a sheet getting used for three packed games on the same day. Especially when the building is only empty for ~1.5 hours between the final two games of the day.
Most likely true, but I am no expert on modern ice-making technology. It does seem to be pretty much impossible to provide a good sheet with that usage, as you say.

Reactions: Sideline

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Hey guys, don't you miss Pierre Maguire talking about Connor Bedard's magical play?
We have missed so much without the special background story that only Pierre could provide...on pretty well every player ever at any time.
Edit: I actually am being sarcastic ha ha

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes