WJC: GDT: Canada – Slovakia (6:30 p.m. ET)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
100% agree, but lets be honest 10 years ago canada is no doubt finishing 1st in group and there first KO game is a 10-0 blowout.....point being that some of the other countries are getting closer to the "top" teams, and canada was just about unbeatable on home ice in this tourney

I’d like to think so but it’s a lot harder for the smaller countries to be competitive year after year.

Reactions: IDuck

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I thought it was a very poorly officiated game. The Slovaks kept their sticks high and laid the lumber all night without getting called. One player draped himself like a blanket over Bedard going to the net and should have been called for holding. The Slovak player laying on puck in his own end was a delay of game not called.

I'm glad Canada played through it, kept their cool and did not retaliate.

I don't blame Slovakia for playing rough -- it was their best hope -- but I do blame the referees for failing to call penalties when they should have.

If Canada were the weaker team instead and had adopted the same strategy they absolutely would have continued with it as long as possible.

Canada was very disciplined. By contrast, the undisciplined penalty that Nemec took in the last minute of play could have been a major, and even the minor did not help Slovakia at all.

The better team won.

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012
Wow what a game Bedard is amazing, but damn Slovakia damn should be proud and could have won that game, Canada out played Slovakia the whole game, but Slovakia played their game nearly perfect. couldn't have been a better quarter final.

Reactions: Nevins and NyQuil

Nemo4

Jan 28, 2010
I cannot emphasize enough how proud I am of this young team. Obviously huge amount of luck was involved, with Canadians hitting the post like 7 times... But still. Amazing effort by the boys who played their hearts out. The result sucks, but boy oh boy, what an entertaining game.

Congratulations to Canada, Bedard is truly out of this planet. Hopefully next year we will get a chance for a revenge ;)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
100% agree, but lets be honest 10 years ago canada is no doubt finishing 1st in group and there first KO game is a 10-0 blowout.....point being that some of the other countries are getting closer to the "top" teams, and canada was just about unbeatable on home ice in this tourney
Canada once lost to Kazakhstan 6-3. It truly is different every year.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
just dont understand the hype about benard, that goal was on slovakian passively stand around him and let him scored.

At least 90 % of players would be looking for a pass. Bedard evaluated the situation perfectly. Saw all three Slovakia players are exhausted, took the responsibility and scored after a surprising individual move. That's what great players do. Read the game and take the responsibility at the right time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad