GDT: GDT: Bruins vs Capitals @ Wash - 3/5/13 - 7:00PM Part II

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Was it game 3 against TB in the ECF that TT had a 3 goal lead in a game we ultimately lost? Remember the reaction then? There were at least two goals that TT should have had. None of those were even wrist shots into the top corner from 40 feet. Can you imagine if they were? Don't worry. I have a solution. I'm going to plant Ann Coulter books in Tuukka's locker, and tip off Haggs. So, we're good. You mention two game 7 shutouts by TT, and some people go, "so what?". They apparently watched game 7 against the flyers from under the bed. Same deal, Tuukka was not at his best.

Yup, criticize Krejci, Tuukka, and yes, Bergy and it's........ meeeeeeeeeeeeeeow hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, time.

Tuukka is stopping most of what he's supposed to stop. He's not making the above average to BIG saves right now, period. Top corner rule is troubling. Before people come at me w/ TT's 5 hole; when everyone in the league started going there, TT closed it for business. Something Tuukka has to prove he can do. More black marks on the glove at practice.

This is exactly right. I don't get why it's such a bad thing to say he wasn't sharp last night because at the end of the day, he wasn't sharp. He let a few bad goals in, and the guy he replaced would have been crucified if he'd let even one of them in. :laugh:

The people jumping all over me about it are doing nothing but demonstrating exactly what I meant when I said you can't be critical of the guy. Rask took a steaming dump on the ice last night. Hopefully he plays better next time out, but if I were CJ, I'd give him a spell and let Khudobin play against Toronto.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I didn't see it happen, but someone definitely threw up on the ice in front of the Bruins bench and on the Bruins bench. During intermission I saw something on the ice - at first thought it was sawdust or something from way up in the balcony, but soon realized it was vomit. Watched the ice crew clean it up. They were scraping it off the ice and sweeping it up on the bench. Didn't see who it was though...

It was one of the little guys who comes out to play for their 3 min. between periods It smelled terrible :p: I felt bad for the little guy.

#44 had his own water bottle so thst usually means the player isn't feeling well.

Also when the B's walk by us you can smell the bengay or what ever they use when they are hurting. I would bet there's more than one guy playing hurt.

Last edited:

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Thank you. That's what I'm saying. Thomas didn't have the consistency and when he was off, he was really off. Some could say that it makes it easier as you can just pull him. That's all great and good when you are down three goals 12 minutes into the game. Not to mention it seems like Rask can carry the mail 68 games a season whereas Thomas you are worried about pushing 60.

There's absolutely no way we can come back from Tim Thomas. It's impossible to ask for that type of play. The tough part is its unrealistic. Two Vezinas, a Conn Smythe, and our MVP all in a three year span is alot to ask for guys. Right now, we've got the 26 year old coming into his own goaltender who can play 65+ a year and can put up top five numbers.
Well, all except for "TURCO TIME!!!!" last year.

TT wasn't consistent? One bad goal a game, this team can survive. Two and three? Not good enough.

I agree, Tuukka is our guy going forward. But, he has some adversity he has to rise to. Suddenly two Vezinas and a Conn Smythe isn't so easy to just sneeze at, is it?

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
This is exactly right. I don't get why it's such a bad thing to say he wasn't sharp last night because at the end of the day, he wasn't sharp. He let a few bad goals in, and the guy he replaced would have been crucified if he'd let even one of them in. :laugh:

The people jumping all over me about it are doing nothing but demonstrating exactly what I meant when I said you can't be critical of the guy. Rask took a steaming dump on the ice last night. Hopefully he plays better next time out, but if I were CJ, I'd give him a spell and let Khudobin play against Toronto.

He wasn't great against the habs, either.

Yup, give him a rest.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Tuukka has a bad week and people jump ship because he's not Thomas. Tim Thomas had a .907 save percentage his final 35 regular season games as a Bruin. Too bad Rask isn't perfect. Thomas had a phenomenal career, let's hope Rask can do some of the same things.

Last edited:

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Well, all except for "TURCO TIME!!!!" last year.

TT wasn't consistent? One bad goal a game, this team can survive. Two and three? Not good enough.

I agree, Tuukka is our guy going forward. But, he has some adversity he has to rise to. Suddenly two Vezinas and a Conn Smythe isn't so easy to just sneeze at, is it?

Our expectations are so high because Timmy was the friggan backbone of this team and carried them all the way to a Stanley Cup after the second greatest season a goaltender has ever had. There's nowhere to go but down from that.

He has some serious adversity but there's one thing for sure, he's a super competitive kid who despises losing and had the good luck of learning behind one of the most unorthodox goalies of our time.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
I am a TT Guy but now It Rask team and we should be able to support and critque him like alot of people did wit Timmy. But the team sluggish play especially in the last 2 games is worrisome.If guys are hurt or sick can't the Bruins bring help health guys on an emergency basis.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I am concerned about the third line.

I think Seids and Ference will be fine.

I think Peter C. will do something before the deadline.

I am ready to move on and watch the B's beat the Leafs :crossfing

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I am a TT Guy but now It Rask team and we should be able to support and critque him like alot of people did wit Timmy. But the team sluggish play especially in the last 2 games is worrisome.If guys are hurt or sick can't the Bruins bring help health guys on an emergency basis.

I believe this time of year there are always guys playing hurt. They won't tell you who because they don't want the other teams to target them but it happens all of the time.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I am concerned about the third line.

I think Seids and Ference will be fine.

I think Peter C. will do something before the deadline.

I am ready to move on and watch the B's beat the Leafs :crossfing

Julien singled out the 3rd line after the game yesterday. The question is not if but when Chia will get us a winger to take Bourque spot and help the top-9.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I am just angry because I put $20 on the Bruins and Hawks and could have turned it into $50, but instead the Bruins let me down and the Hawks continued to roll.

On another note, other than the Bergeron line, this team needs help on offense as the other 3 lines haven't really been up to par.

Chia can get someone half decent to take Bourques spot without giving up to much.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Agreed. The only difference between Thomas and Rask is that if Thomas had let in one of the bad goals that Rask did last night, this place would have gone ballistic and been ready to string him up. Rask does it and it's dismissed out of hand by most of the same folks...

I think this is to some degree an artifact of just how good Thomas was. Fans got used to Thomas playing well and came to expect the goalie who could steal games to steal all of them.

I think some of the reluctance to criticize Rask also comes from the knowledge that this is his first real season as the #1. Rask is talented and I know a lot of teams would love to have him warts and all.

Rask seems IMO to not always have a lot of confidence (and this may be born from watching his defense crap all over the ice in the last several games). I think it will come. I also think Rask is hungry-I think he wants his name on the cup as the guy that led his team to the Cup-not the back-up goalie.

One thing fans need to recognize is that Rask will probably never be Tim Thomas because I don't think any other goalie is going to be like Tim Thomas-he did some amazing things that I just don't think every goalie has it in him to do.

This also doesn't mean Rask shouldn't be held accountable for his stinkers-shoot even Rask knows his last couple of games he laid some stinkers. He will be okay.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Bourque isn't my only concern on that third line.

Exactly. What are fans going to do when they make a change and the 3rd line still plays poorly?

Bourque is nothing more than the escape goat, and people are taking it for granite that he's the issue. They mind as well, I guess, since it's better than admitting that the problem lies with Kelly and Peverley. The ironing is delicious...:naughty:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
People tend to forget just how bad TT could be when his game was off. I don't think Rask has that same ability to just absolutely dominate a game, but I also think he's more consistent than Timmy.

Timmy helped create his legend by after having a bad game, he was almost unbeatable in games following, Tuukka is an excellent goalie, but he isn`t in Timmy category and that isn`t an insult, few were and we got spoiled

Were spoiled with our 3rd line too, loads of other teams would love to have numerous threads where the fans were complaining about the 3rd line production or lack thereof, most other teams 3rd lines produce next to nothing, which, at this time, is about equal to our 3rd line production currently;)

I`ll be honest, I didn`t see this as a team that were that great in the 1st period to be honest, some here posted how dominant they were, I didn`t see it that way, they were the better team, but not by much, difference was, Holtby let in everything that came his way in the first, and our boy didn`t make THE stop when needed which was after consistent breakdowns in front of him

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Exactly. What are fans going to do when they make a change and the 3rd line still plays poorly?

Bourque is nothing more than the escape goat, and people are taking it for granite that he's the issue. They mind as well, I guess, since it's better than admitting that the problem lies with Kelly and Peverley. The ironing is delicious...:naughty:

In fact, the problem is that your whiping boy ain't on that line anymore to give a top-6 scoring presence like Ryder did.

Put someone with size and with 20 goals skill on the wing with Kelly+Peverley and we are set for another long playoffs run.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
In fact, the problem is that your whiping boy ain't on that line anymore to give a top-6 scoring presence like Ryder did.

Put someone with size and with 20 goals skill on the wing with Kelly+Peverley and we are set for another long playoffs run.

You need to move on about Ryder. Dudes been gone for over a year now and he plays for the Habs. Let it go. He ended up on our 3rd line because he didn't perform up to his contract. :laugh:

So what you're basically saying is that PC needs to go out and get a top 6 player and then put them on the 3rd line because they can't perform without one. At the end of the day, if Kelly and Peverley were playing to even half their ability, it wouldn't matter whom they had on that line. They're not, so you can get whomever you want, it won't make much difference if two thirds of the line is in the crapper.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

I think it lies more so in Kelly than Peverly, however I think by the end of the season two of the current 3rd liners will be gone-Bourque plus Kelly or Peverly. Bourque is clearly not the answer to that line, and honestly they could trade Kelly and Peverly and I don't think it is all the sudden going to make Bourque NHL ready.

I see a trade coming much like the trade Chia worked to acquire Kelly, Peverly and Kaberle. It might involve more than one team and probably more than one player.

Real question is if he can work the deal and if he is willing to move on from some of the players I know he has a lot of affection for.

If it was me, I would seriously consider getting Horton to waive his NTC and look for another top wing, but that probably won't happen.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think it lies more so in Kelly than Peverly, however I think by the end of the season two of the current 3rd liners will be gone-Bourque plus Kelly or Peverly. Bourque is clearly not the answer to that line, and honestly they could trade Kelly and Peverly and I don't think it is all the sudden going to make Bourque NHL ready.

I see a trade coming much like the trade Chia worked to acquire Kelly, Peverly and Kaberle. It might involve more than one team and probably more than one player.

Real question is if he can work the deal and if he is willing to move on from some of the players I know he has a lot of affection for.

If it was me, I would seriously consider getting Horton to waive his NTC and look for another top wing, but that probably won't happen.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. I'd love for them to make a big move, but I have a fear that they stand pat like last year.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

For a deal to happen with Pevs/Kelly wouldn`t Chia require their approval?? And if so, aren`t there only certain destinations they can go?

No way I see Chia moving Kelly, a guy he`s known for a long time. Pevs perhaps, truthfully, no way I move either. I`m going against the grain here folks, for as poorly as that line has played, I`ll stick to my guns, firmly believe a big body on that line who can consistently win board battles who has a little skill is all that`s needed for them to get on track.

Dan Paille sporadically played with them, and the biggest issue is/was that Paille`s hands aren`t the greatest but that line had more opportunities in those few games than they have all season

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. I'd love for them to make a big move, but I have a fear that they stand pat like last year.

If they stand pat, this team won't make it out of the first round unless they find some serious game and can play a full 60.

I don't think they stand pat-although they may have problems finding somebody to work a deal with (short season makes all the basement teams think they have a chance to make the playoffs-so no fire sales) then Chia will likely head to the bargain bin again and I think last year proved bargain bin shopping doesn't really cut it.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
You need to move on about Ryder. Dudes been gone for over a year now and he plays for the Habs. Let it go. He ended up on our 3rd line because he didn't perform up to his contract. :laugh:

So what you're basically saying is that PC needs to go out and get a top 6 player and then put them on the 3rd line because they can't perform without one. At the end of the day, if Kelly and Peverley were playing to even half their ability, it wouldn't matter whom they had on that line. They're not, so you can get whomever you want, it won't make much difference if two thirds of the line is in the crapper.

That's not what I'm saying. Any upgrade over Bourque will make it a better 3rd line. Especially adding size. But IF Chia gets the type of player I mentionned, that 3rd line will also become a line that can chip in offensively more often than not, just like when we had the luxury of having a proven 20 goals scorer like Ryder on the 3rd line in that Cup run.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
For a deal to happen with Pevs/Kelly wouldn`t Chia require their approval?? And if so, aren`t there only certain destinations they can go?

No way I see Chia moving Kelly, a guy he`s known for a long time. Pevs perhaps, truthfully, no way I move either. I`m going against the grain here folks, for as poorly as that line has played, I`ll stick to my guns, firmly believe a big body on that line who can consistently win board battles who has a little skill is all that`s needed for them to get on track.

Dan Paille sporadically played with them, and the biggest issue is/was that Paille`s hands aren`t the greatest but that line had more opportunities in those few games than they have all season

I agree with you that the Kelly and Peverly need a big body and somebody with hands (remember Seguin played with them, and while he wasn't a big body, he did have good hands). And I can perhaps see this, the only reason I think one of them might be gone (Kelly has a NTC although I thought Peverly didn't) is if the trade worked out is a roster player going the other way. I don't think Chia moves anyone in the top 6 (those without NTC aren't going anywhere and Horton is the only one I would consider moving and he has a NTC).

That leaves Peverly as the most valuable piece.

If Chia can work a deal for a big body with proven scoring potential, then go for it.

This isn't a team in need of blowing up, but that line needs a serious infusion to get it clicking.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Both Pevs and Kelly would have to waive their NTC's and they won't.

This team is worse off without Kelly and Peverley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad