GDT: GDT: Bruins vs Capitals @ Wash - 3/5/13 - 7:00PM Part II

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He choked? I'm sorry isn't this a TEAM sport. Last time I checked, WE as in the TEAM collectively played like crap and allowed them to come back into the series. Bad penalties. Bad changes, yeah I'm talking to you Savard. And Clode deserves some of it. He went 22-12 that year. Without him we never would have made it there. Choked? Far from it. The team choked.

Uh huh. He blew it. Especially in game 7. He played terribly. The team got him a big lead and all he had to do was play marginally and they win. He didn't. Instead he let in a couple of shaky goals and they went home. Deal with it.

And again, all you're doing is proving my original point that you can't say anything critical about Rask. Thanks, I knew it would only be a matter of time before it came... :laugh:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
This line is wrong on so many levels... Keep watching the games in your own world...

ok?

Did he not let one by him through the wickets last night that should've been stopped, and would've been stopped had his stick been on the ice. He Tim Thomas'ed that one bad.

I will continue to watch the games in my own world, and continue to form my own opinions. If it means I'm insulted by you, success.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Uh huh. He blew it. Especially in game 7. He played terribly. The team got him a big lead and all he had to do was play marginally and they win. He didn't. Instead he let in a couple of shaky goals and they went home. Deal with it.

Why are you giving this poster "heat" for saying that you win/lose as a team? Not only this poster is right but the "win/lose" concept is accepted by each and every player who play in this league. You dislike Rask? That's well and fine but there's no need to give crap to this poster while make yourself look bad. By the way, i like you as a poster. You're just way off on this one.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
ok?

Did he not let one by him through the wickets last night that should've been stopped, and would've been stopped had his stick been on the ice. He Tim Thomas'ed that one bad.

I will continue to watch the games in my own world, and continue to form my own opinions. If it means I'm insulted by you, success.

Oh... you mean that Thomas never let a bad goal in? Pick your poison: Paul Martin's goal from his own blueline or Semin's slapper?

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

And again, all you're doing is proving my original point that you can't say anything critical about Rask. Thanks, I knew it would only be a matter of time before it came...

He was a rookie who lead the league in save percentage. A ROOKIE. The team lost in 7 games because of a too many men on the ice penalty. Maybe if that didn't happen, we would have won. The point is moot. You dont like the guy. Its evident. Hahaha. That loss was clearly all on Rask. My bad. I think its clear you have an agenda. Has Rask played poorly lately? Yes. Guess what? It happens to everyone. Dont understand what's the problem here. The team lost 3 years ago. The team lost last night. Period.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
\
PP went 1 for 2 and some posters are blaming the pp lol.

I don't think the PP had anything to do with the loss. I think our special teams did well (PK 100% and PP 50%).

However, I do blame Julien for sending the PP unit out that he did at that point in the game. He should have called a time out and gone with his #1unit-the one that actually scored in that game less than 20 seconds into the 2 minutes.

I blame Julien for that decision though and not the actual PP.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think the PP had anything to do with the loss. I think our special teams did well (PK 100% and PP 50%).

However, I do blame Julien for sending the PP unit out that he did at that point in the game. He should have called a time out and gone with his #1unit-the one that actually scored in that game less than 20 seconds into the 2 minutes.

I blame Julien for that decision though and not the actual PP.

You might be correct but i'm not sure that it would change anything to the result. I still think our success on the PP is tied to the decision making/execution of the players.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Why are you giving this poster "heat" for saying that you win/lose as a team? Not only this poster is right but the "win/lose" concept is accepted by each and every player who play in this league. You dislike Rask? That's well and fine but there's no need to give crap to this poster while make yourself look bad. By the way, i like you as a poster. You're just way off on this one.

I don't dislike Rask at all. I just think he's an unknown at this point, and my confidence in him is very low right now based on some of the goals he's letting in.

The reason I'm disagreeing with that poster is because I said you can't say anything critical about the guy without someone jumping down your throat, only to said poster jump down my throat. :laugh:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Oh... you mean that Thomas never let a bad goal in? Pick your poison: Paul Martin's goal from the red line or Semin's slapper?

No, if anything I'm saying Thomas let in plenty, typically through the 5 hole. Actually, he let in so many 5 hole goals that I made it into a new term in saying the "Rask Tim Thomas'ed that one." meaning he let in a bad goal right under the pads.

Rask isn't Jesus. He's a good goaltender and I'm glad he's playing for the Bruins, but he can be better.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
This team is getting smoked along the boards and getting smoked in front of their own goal. Scoring issues aside because I think that will come, those are two HUGE concerns for me.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No, if anything I'm saying Thomas let in plenty, typically through the 5 hole. Actually, he let in so many 5 hole goals that I made it into a new term in saying the "Rask Tim Thomas'ed that one." meaning he let in a bad goal right under the pads.

Rask isn't Jesus. He's a good goaltender and I'm glad he's playing for the Bruins, but he can be better.

Leave Carey Price out of this...:laugh:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
This team is getting smoked along the boards and getting smoked in front of their own goal. Scoring issues aside because I think that will come, those are two HUGE concerns for me.

That's easily the biggest difference from the last two years. They went soft in the dirty areas.

...I hate it when that happens

In fairness, he hasn't been great either from what I read on that other board. :laugh:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

beauty......

On the topic of CP, if any of you are feeling down, go over to the Habs board and lurk on their thread about the chosen one..... he's getting some pretty serious heat from some Habs fans. Nice!

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
This is exactly right. There are 3 people on this team that you can't say a critical thing about: Rask, Krejci, and Bergeron. Everyone else? Have at it. Say something even remotely critical of those guys though? You catch and ungodly amount of crap. At the end of the day, Rask was lousy last night. He let in 3 goals that were of the weak variety (which is being generous), yet we hear nary a peep out of people. Sure the B's didn't take care of the front of the net, but Rask also didn't do them any favors either. He was bad. Really bad.

Hard to agree that there's "nary a peep" when this thread is full of "peeps" from people questioning/calling out Rask. He might be under-criticized, but he's far from untouchable.

IMHO, the "thou shalt not question or criticize" list begins & ends with Bergeron. There are players that are arguably under-crticized (Rask, Krejci, Lucic are the three best examples) but Bergeron is on another level of teflon. Both Krecji & Rask take a lot more crap from fans than Bergeron does.

With that said: Rask, to me, is similar to Thomas in that he looks his very best when the D in front of him is playing at their best. Both goalies made amazing saves at times, and both goalies got beat in amazingly bad ways at other times, but both goalies looked like world-beaters when the D in front of them were doing the heavy-lifting of clearing pucks & clearing bodies. It's arguable that Thomas was more likely to save the day when the D was less than perfect, but Thomas had plenty of stinkers like Rask did last night, too. And, yeah, Rask was not good last night.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
I don't dislike Rask at all. I just think he's an unknown at this point, and my confidence in him is very low right now based on some of the goals he's letting in.

The reason I'm disagreeing with that poster is because I said you can't say anything critical about the guy without someone jumping down your throat, only to said poster jump down my throat. :laugh:

People seem to forget that TT had Save %'s north of .933. Those Bruins teams, which are essentially the same teams that we ice today, were flawed and were bailed out 1-2 out of every 5 games by TT. Game TT flat out stole.

Nothing against Rask, his numbers are dam impressive, but TT did things that no other goalie has done.

The Bruins warts are a bit more visible now because our goalie puts up ONLY a .929 save %age. Its a very fine line and something that has only really mattered (blowing 3rd period lead) in 3 games this season.

I would have thought, given our playoff defeat, that the Bruins would have smelled the blood in the water and stomped on the Caps throats . . .instead they took their foot off the pedal and got their just desserts.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
People seem to forget that TT had Save %'s north of .933. Those Bruins teams, which are essentially the same teams that we ice today, were flawed and were bailed out 1-2 out of every 5 games by TT. Game TT flat out stole.

Nothing against Rask, his numbers are dam impressive, but TT did things that no other goalie has done.

The Bruins warts are a bit more visible now because our goalie puts up ONLY a .929 save %age. Its a very fine line and something that has only really mattered (blowing 3rd period lead) in 3 games this season.

I would have thought, given our playoff defeat, that the Bruins would have smelled the blood in the water and stomped on the Caps throats . . .instead they took their foot off the pedal and got their just desserts.

Agreed. The only difference between Thomas and Rask is that if Thomas had let in one of the bad goals that Rask did last night, this place would have gone ballistic and been ready to string him up. Rask does it and it's dismissed out of hand by most of the same folks...

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Agreed. The only difference between Thomas and Rask is that if Thomas had let in one of the bad goals that Rask did last night, this place would have gone ballistic and been ready to string him up. Rask does it and it's dismissed out of hand by most of the same folks...

I wonder if it would be different if Rask had a back-up as talented as Thomas had.

Back-up QB Syndrome. The most popular guy in town, right?

I mean, when Thomas let in a bad goal there was a talented guy right there. Khudobin ain't no Rask.

It is okay, Thomas put an end to all of that. Hopefully Rask will too. Not playing well right now though. At all.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I wonder if it would be different if Rask had a back-up as talented as Thomas had.

Back-up QB Syndrome. The most popular guy in town, right?

I mean, when Thomas let in a bad goal there was a talented guy right there. Khudobin ain't no Rask.

It is okay, Thomas put an end to all of that. Hopefully Rask will too. Not playing well right now though. At all.

It's a very fair assessment, and a valid question. If I had to guess, I'd say no. The people who screamed the loudest for Rask when Thomas made a mistake would never turn on their guy, since he's what they wanted.

As it stands right now, Rask letting in 4 goals on 26 shots last night isn't going to get it done...

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
People tend to forget just how bad TT could be when his game was off. I don't think Rask has that same ability to just absolutely dominate a game, but I also think he's more consistent than Timmy.

Thank you. That's what I'm saying. Thomas didn't have the consistency and when he was off, he was really off. Some could say that it makes it easier as you can just pull him. That's all great and good when you are down three goals 12 minutes into the game. Not to mention it seems like Rask can carry the mail 68 games a season whereas Thomas you are worried about pushing 60.

There's absolutely no way we can come back from Tim Thomas. It's impossible to ask for that type of play. The tough part is its unrealistic. Two Vezinas, a Conn Smythe, and our MVP all in a three year span is alot to ask for guys. Right now, we've got the 26 year old coming into his own goaltender who can play 65+ a year and can put up top five numbers.

Spoked-B

Nov 3, 2005
Southern NH
****** night, but, umm, they did gain a point on towards reclaiming the conference lead (with 2-3 games in hand on every team ahead of them). It could be worse! :)

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
****** night, but, umm, they did gain a point on towards reclaiming the conference lead (with 2-3 games in hand on every team ahead of them). It could be worse! :)

Yeah the point is good, but when your leading 3-0 and had many chances to put the game away, it becomes very dissapointing. And I hope that extra lost point does not come back to bite them in the a$$ at the end of the year

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston

And again, all you're doing is proving my original point that you can't say anything critical about Rask. Thanks, I knew it would only be a matter of time before it came... :laugh:

Was it game 3 against TB in the ECF that TT had a 3 goal lead in a game we ultimately lost? Remember the reaction then? There were at least two goals that TT should have had. None of those were even wrist shots into the top corner from 40 feet. Can you imagine if they were? Don't worry. I have a solution. I'm going to plant Ann Coulter books in Tuukka's locker, and tip off Haggs. So, we're good. You mention two game 7 shutouts by TT, and some people go, "so what?". They apparently watched game 7 against the flyers from under the bed. Same deal, Tuukka was not at his best.

Yup, criticize Krejci, Tuukka, and yes, Bergy and it's........ meeeeeeeeeeeeeeow hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, time.

Tuukka is stopping most of what he's supposed to stop. He's not making the above average to BIG saves right now, period. Top corner rule is troubling. Before people come at me w/ TT's 5 hole; when everyone in the league started going there, TT closed it for business. Something Tuukka has to prove he can do. More black marks on the glove at practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad