GDT: GDT 7: Coyotes @ Rangers

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Ayy lmao.

On the plus side, Domi leads all rookies in points and Duclair leads all rookies in goals. It's something.

Frustrating part is there is no veteran presence. I'm all for the young kids doing well, but their confidence and swagger is going to drop fast if we keep losing games. I understand that Duke and Domi should be in the NHL, but geesus throw them a bone. Let's give them some kind of support. The weight can't be on their shoulders game in and game out. We can't expect them to put the puck in the net every freakin night enough to win.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Frustrating part is there is no veteran presence. I'm all for the young kids doing well, but their confidence and swagger is going to drop fast if we keep losing games. I understand that Duke and Domi should be in the NHL, but geesus throw them a bone. Let's give them some kind of support. The weight can't be on their shoulders game in and game out. We can't expect them to put the puck in the net every freakin night enough to win.

There's really nobody to call up, and it's a long way until summer. And it's not like the organization is teeming with assets that can realistically be traded.

Lots of try sighting.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Tip only mentioned execution twice, but the big one made an appearance.. LOTS OF TRY.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I know people get tired of hearing execution, but that's the biggest part of it. The first 3 games were won b/c we executed well enough to keep possession and pin the other team back. We execute on the forecheck and created opportunities for scoring chances. Now, if we can't complete passes with regularity, execution stops, and we find ourselves on the short end.

This is correct and the clowns can blame Tippet for the lack of execution, but the fact is that this team, for too much of the time looks like a bad youth team, when it comes to ability to execute simple tape to tape passes.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
There's really nobody to call up, and it's a long way until summer. And it's not like the organization is teeming with assets that can realistically be traded.

Oh I wasn't really saying we need to go out and get people to support them. I'll be honest, I was expecting more from Boedker after what he did last year before he got injured. Doan I was not expecting to be what he is now. We brought back Vermette, Gordon, Z. I mean, we have a pretty good group of veterans I feel like that could turn it up and get some things done. I feel the team was built well for this year.

Honestly my favorite is Downie. He does what he does, and other teams aren't going to mess with us as much knowing they have a nutcase like him out there gunning for them if they do something.

It's just frustrating that we haven't been able to get some points on the board from our veterans. At this point we are expecting our rookies to do the scoring if we want to win if Smith doesn't stand on his head like he did very early on.

I missed the Bruins/Devils game, and only caught the 3rd period of the Rangers game. But so far, the team has been more fun to watch. I just hope that us losing, and it could happen a lot, that the rookies don't get discouraged.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yes, he was saying that he's trying, but NOT executing.

Sounds like a simple fix. We've just hit a bit of a rough patch. We've only been NOT executing for two seasons. How long is a reasonable expectation to expect a head coach to get his team to execute before you try something else, by the way?

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Bad roster full of bad players who can't execute a bad system.

There, summed up the entire god damn franchise.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'll be honest, I was expecting more from Boedker after what he did last year before he got injured. Doan I was not expecting to be what he is now. We brought back Vermette, Gordon, Z. I mean, we have a pretty good group of veterans I feel like that could turn it up and get some things done. I feel the team was built well for this year.

If you live for past glories, sure, it was seemingly built well. If you watched that same team be completely gutless and in poor form for two and a half years, it's not so surprising. At some point someone had better fall on a god damn sword, be it Maloney or Tippett. I don't pretend to know the working conditions of Maloney (what ownership is telling him to do, his power relative to Tip, what free agents told him etc...) but I can see the roster Tippett works with and how he coaches it plain as day. I don't like it.

Dump Tippett if the team is still hopeless by Thanksgiving. Some other team will gladly hire him and give us a 2nd round pick. Promote Brown to interim HC. See how he does and what is out there. This ******** about being the Flames and making the playoffs while playing young players needs to stop. So too does the pouting about losing from Tippett. He knows exactly what he signed up for, considering he supposedly spent "hundreds of hours" helping put this season together.

Life after Tippett and Doan needs to start this year.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
If we keep losing and Tippet isn't fired, I'd be very concerned about the competence of ownership. How many teams let the same coach preside over so many losing seasons?

A fresh voice, or someone like Newell freed from Tippers conservatism, could breathe fresh life into the locker room.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We should have played Chip....At least you guys can't blame Chip for this one, all on Tip now, even though we did out shoot the Rangers...

Zone exits are killing us, this is on the D and the forwards at the half wall, too many sloppy passes. Vermette/Bods have been a big let down so far. Doan is slower but he has had some production, so can't really blame him too much. I like the 7 D plan, hope that continues even though we didn't score on the PP. Tip shortens the bench anyway, so one less forward, who cares.

We were in the game at the start of the third tied, not much more we can REALISTICALLY ask for with this roster.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Lots of try sighting.

You know, I was being melodramatic, when I said the season may as well be written off, after Tippett mentioned the word execution in one of his postgame interviews. But now that lots of try is back? we should just write off the rest of season without a hint of irony. :laugh:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
We should have played Chip....At least you guys can't blame Chip for this one, all on Tip now, even though we did out shoot the Rangers...

Zone exits are killing us, this is on the D and the forwards at the half wall, too many sloppy passes. Vermette/Bods have been a big let down so far. Doan is slower but he has had some production, so can't really blame him too much. I like the 7 D plan, hope that continues even though we didn't score on the PP. Tip shortens the bench anyway, so one less forward, who cares.

We were in the game at the start of the third tied, not much more we can REALISTICALLY ask for with this roster.

Yeah, no, I definitely agree with you. As long is the game is tied at like the halfway point or something, it doesn't matter how many goals we end up losing by.

I for one, thought that this game went fantastic. We had a chance to win for the first 40 minutes, and that's all we should expect. Nothing more.

If Yandle didn't get a ping-pong goal, Hayes didn't score, Smitty didn't screw up on Hayes' goal, Nash didn't score an empty net, Duke buried that great pass from Domi, and then we scored in overtime too, we could have won this game.

We could be a 7-0 team right now, if all those little tiny things ended up going our way. Dave Tippett is a very exciting coach, and is doing a great job. There's literally no way a single coach in the entire hockey world could do a better job than he's doing right now. It's just not possible. How soon do you guys think we can give him a contract extension? This week, I hope.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
If we keep losing and Tippet isn't fired, I'd be very concerned about the competence of ownership. How many teams let the same coach preside over so many losing seasons?
How many wins were we expected to rack up this year? The experts in the poll section on hfboards said we were 30 of 30. Only a handful of us had the Coyotes above about 26th. Given the low expectation, how could the result possibly be disappointing?

A fresh voice, or someone like Newell freed from Tippers conservatism, could breathe fresh life into the locker room.
:amazed:

Newell Brown is the answer? Now I've heard it all.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
I for one, thought that this game went fantastic. We had a chance to win for the first 40 minutes, and that's all we should expect. Nothing more.

If Yandle didn't get a ping-pong goal, Hayes didn't score, Smitty didn't screw up on Hayes' goal, Nash didn't score an empty net, Duke buried that great pass from Domi, and then we scored in overtime too, we could have won this game.

We could be a 7-0 team right now, if all those little tiny things ended up going our way. Dave Tippett is a very exciting coach, and is doing a great job. There's literally no way a single coach in the entire hockey world could do a better job than he's doing right now. It's just not possible. How soon do you guys think we can give him a contract extension? This week, I hope.

Nominated as early contender for post of the year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is correct and the clowns can blame Tippet for the lack of execution, but the fact is that this team, for too much of the time looks like a bad youth team, when it comes to ability to execute simple tape to tape passes.

I agree, and also agree with what DT said. Doan, Vermette and Boedker have to be the biggest disappointments so far this year. The kids have done much more than anyone could ask for, but once other teams get a better read on these guys I expect their scoring to slow down.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

A roller coaster season. We were in this game for the most part, but like you mentioned the zone exits are killing us.Most knew this was going to be a tough year, and were predicting us to finish last. I'm not worried about wins this year, but what does concern me is lack of production from Vermette, Doan and Boedker.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How many wins were we expected to rack up this year? The experts in the poll section on hfboards said we were 30 of 30. Only a handful of us had the Coyotes above about 26th. Given the low expectation, how could the result possibly be disappointing?

:amazed:

Newell Brown is the answer? Now I've heard it all.

Most change their minds like the wind and can't remember what they said.

Last year everyone was on Playfair for the way the defense and PK were performing, and for good reason. This year, hardly a peep about our PP and Brown. I don't blame the coaches for the way we are playing as this is a rebuild and I expected such a season. The only aspect of our team that I do not like right now is the play of some of our vets. They are suppose to be the leaders.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Honestly these are the types of games we all were asking for this past offseason. Competitive (for the most part), fun to watch (for the most part) and not curling up to die every time the opposing team has a two point lead.

After the hot start I was worried we would end up in our favorite spot of drafting 12th. We need another top pick. We need to make some of our prospect pool expendable because we haven't been drafting defensemen and will need to acquire some from trade. We have gotten so lucky with Domi and Perlini at 12. Someone posted the success rate of draft picks and if I remember correctly it wasn't very high past 10. I think another top 5-7 pick sets the franchise up for a very long time. Missing it means we better hope the majority of the prospects pan out.

It's always amazing how quickly a prospect can fall out of favor. Two seasons ago it was debated if Lessio would be a top 6 player. Last season he was looked at as a high energy 3rd/4th liner. Now, who knows if he even cracks the line up.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Honestly these are the types of games we all were asking for this past offseason. Competitive (for the most part), fun to watch (for the most part) and not curling up to die every time the opposing team has a two point lead.

After the hot start I was worried we would end up in our favorite spot of drafting 12th. We need another top pick. We need to make some of our prospect pool expendable because we haven't been drafting defensemen and will need to acquire some from trade. We have gotten so lucky with Domi and Perlini at 12. Someone posted the success rate of draft picks and if I remember correctly it wasn't very high past 10. I think another top 5-7 pick sets the franchise up for a very long time. Missing it means we better hope the majority of the prospects pan out.

It's always amazing how quickly a prospect can fall out of favor. Two seasons ago it was debated if Lessio would be a top 6 player. Last season he was looked at as a high energy 3rd/4th liner. Now, who knows if he even cracks the line up.
]

Very true, and most of us would have expected Henrik to be on the roster by now.

It's very unlikely we don't have at least a few prospects bust, which ought to be something we keep in mind when discussing the team

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
7 games in and already a call for Tippet's head. Sad.

The very best we could have hoped for with THIS ROSTER was to approach .500. Next year is the year we should be competitive.

Next year if we don't acquire a top tier RHD ownership should fire Maloney. Next year if we don't make the playoffs with a top RHD, Strome Perlini, Dvorak and Samuelson we should fire Tippet.

Next year, not this year. This year our team is just a place holder waiting for our young talent to develop.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
7 games in and already a call for Tippet's head. Sad.

The very best we could have hoped for with THIS ROSTER was to approach .500. Next year is the year we should be competitive.

Next year if we don't acquire a top tier RHD ownership should fire Maloney. Next year if we don't make the playoffs with a top RHD, Strome Perlini, Dvorak and Samuelson we should fire Tippet.

Next year, not this year. This year our team is just a place holder waiting for our young talent to develop.

So it's okay for Tippet to preside over six straight losing seasons? What. And GMDM the axe first? Top end RHD are the second most expensive piece after first line centers

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

]

Very true, and most of us would have expected Henrik to be on the roster by now.

It's very unlikely we don't have at least a few prospects bust, which ought to be something we keep in mind when discussing the team

Correct, and let's not forget about Brown, Rundblad, Gormley and the list goes on and on. Everyone thinks the new kid on the block is the answer, but in reality most never make it to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad