GDT: GDT 7: Coyotes @ Rangers

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You may assume that we've seen the players execute before and that aren't doing it now. Every year we make minor "upgrades" to the roster, but the result is a decline in the standings. How does the coaching and management combo get an unlimited pass? Pretty heavy turnover since three years ago. Same or worse in on-ice performance.
This year's team has been better than I expected, but that doesn't mean we should all just forget that we're mired in failure with the same dogged devotion to the excuses (execution, lots of try) as to Tippett and Maloney's "good guys".
Everything else has changed. It's time for a new look higer up than the players.

Ownership and no budget gets DM a pass for now. Tip gets a pass because he has exceeded realistic expectations every year except 2 years ago. That season Ribs was awol. Last year, no talent, Yandle trade, injuries killed us. This year, Tip is over achieving so far, playing 3 rookies like everyone posting here wanted.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I believe that Tippett is a great bench coach and he's surprised me thus far with how he's used Domi and Duclair. The main reason this board has had against Tippett is he couldn't develop youth. Yet here we are today with the top scoring rookie and the top goal scoring rookie. that argument doesn't hold water so far this season.

Argument has turned to record yet doesn't acknowledge the lack of talent he's had to work with. Talent is GM's role. Tippett for years got blood from a stone as this team severely overachieved for years. We had no business beating Chicago in 2012 yet we did. Tippett is responsible for this franchise breaking a 25 year old playoff curse. For that I'm grateful because I was there for all of those years.

Has he been able to overachieve in recent years. The answer is no. In fact last year was a downright miserable disaster. One made worse by managements decision to tank which left Tippett embarrassed by season's end.

This season we are expected to finish dead last. Dead last. Not one publication has us finishing higher. again we are buying time until we actually are able to insert our prospects into the lineup. A Losing season with future promise is the fanbase expectation. We want to see hope for the future. Against that standard, Tippett is delivering as expected.

That's why I want to see veterans who don't fit like Boedker moved out. Doan will retire at season's end. Vermette will be phased out in time. That's the direction I want to see.

Totally agree.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I mean, It's not Tippett's job to just simply not irreparably damage the kids, and that's it.

He needs to get some semblance of effort out of the vets (his guys). We're going on 4 straight years now, of lackluster, uninterested play from our veterans. I'd really hate to see some of their lazy habits, begin to creep into the kids' game.

We looked decent for like 3 games, and have looked absolutely horrible since. Literally almost every veteran player looks completely disinterested and unengaged, while on the ice. Considering that we've complained about this in 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015, and now 2015-2016, it's reflects horribly on Tippett's ability to get his players motivated.

I am not sure you can say all Vets are not motivated and that is on Tip. Outside of Vermette this year, I don't see other Vets not motivated. Not producing, Vermette/Bods, yes. Z/chip/smith/hanzal/Doan/ look motivated to me.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
It is all about execution.

Would one of the folks here that want to blame this current situation on DT please explain just what exactly he has changed (personnel or systems wise etc.), that has somehow made this team turn into what we witnessed in the preseason? And don't waste anyone here's time with some crap about playing Chip, he's one guy and ain't making or breaking this team.

Funny that I sit here and defend DT, when I really don't care much one way or the other, generally speaking. I just can't stand the lynch mob mentality that has no basis...... Now, if you want to say a change for change sake is needed? I can respect that. That or give me some specific DT blunders and prove me wrong.

The lack of response is just what I expected, because y'all got NUTTN'.
I know this is an anonymous site, but for the love of God, have a little pride, keep your ignorant and childish emotions in check and try to post based on intellectual thought and some semblance of reality!

KG

Sep 23, 2010
There's no lynch mob for DT. The board seems evenly split, with the two camps existing since probably the end of the season after the lockout, when we drafted Perlini.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Probably the more interesting discussion at this point is where everybody stands on Maloney.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Probably the more interesting discussion at this point is where everybody stands on Maloney.

People are human and make mistakes and GMDM would most likely tell you he's made his share, but (given his payroll) he's done a very good job. On this there should be no split, or lynch mob (whatever the percentage) either.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

The ownership situation makes it more difficult to fairly evaluate DM. I also think there is some luck or being unlucky. The original Smith/Bryz/Whitney signings were lightning in a bottle. The second Smith and the Ribs signing were bad signings, but UFA land for top tier talent is always dangerous. This area is your best chance to over pay and make a mistake.

The returns on trades have been good. I can't think of a trade that we got smoked on. Bringing back Verby and bringing in Vermette worked out well. Not signing Verby and maybe even Bods now after his slow start is looking smarter. Yandle trade for Duclair looks smart now too.
Drafting is so long term, hard to say really. Besides Gormley/Runblad, we have Domi and several others that look promising.

I have always though ownership and its distractions are the biggest problem and that it has had a trickle down effect to some degree. I think DM has been a solid GM given the circumstances.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ownership and no budget gets DM a pass for now. Tip gets a pass because he has exceeded realistic expectations every year except 2 years ago. That season Ribs was awol. Last year, no talent, Yandle trade, injuries killed us. This year, Tip is over achieving so far, playing 3 rookies like everyone posting here wanted.

I don't really care what people post or want, most don't know what the hell they are talking about. Reading these posts, many change their minds as the game progresses.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
People are human and make mistakes and GMDM would most likely tell you he's made his share, but (given his payroll) he's done a very good job. On this there should be no split, or lynch mob (whatever the percentage) either.

Yep, and just think back over the last six or so years what this team has gone thru. I would not have mattered who was running the show you can only do so much with your hands tied. Moving forward with new ownership and all, I expect the Coyotes to improve drastically, and if not, then and only then do you fault DM and DT.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We'll see. Can't say I'm a fan of this ownership group, as of yet.

I agree, but they have given DM more money to work with, especially in the scouting and analytical dept. This has already shown positive results, so it's a step in the right direction. This franchise has been broken for so long and can not be fixed in one or two years, but as long as we see improvement, I'm fine with waiting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad