GDT: GDT #61 New York Islanders vs St. Louis Blues | March 5th | 7:30 PM | F/4-2 W

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Yeah, probably not. I don’t wear jerseys.

If he keeps playing like he’s been playing lately, let’s just say finally, bc that’s not what he was doing the past 2.5 years.
I was skeptical about Barzal as well, but he's been very good this year. He gets into funks, but all players do.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Roy has changed the identity of this team so quickly. Very clear that Lambert was not the man for this job. Even slackers like Lee and Engvall looking good lately.

They do not miss Mayfield at all, maybe he can be shipped to Robidas island

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
its funny just how pathetic this team was under Lambert

Roy has changed the identity of this team so quickly. Very clear that Lambert was not the man for this job. Even slackers like Lee and Engvall looking good lately.

They do not miss Mayfield at all, maybe he can be shipped to Robidas island
I think Scotty at full health would be better than whatever version of scotty we got this season

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Also, I still think that when players smash their sticks, they should get fined.
Or their parents shouldn't buy them new ones.

Barzal's D zone positioning was better at the end of the game than I have seen. A change?

Palmieri's second goal in as many games on a well executed stretch. A adjustment?

Maybe some coaching going on.

Yeah, it would be weird to trade Pageau a day after saying they wouldn’t subtract
Weekes hasn't exactly been on point this year.

DamnZamDoor

Jun 20, 2021
Great win! Was in a bar with my son, came home turned it on and they were losing 2-0. Sat in my chair and said c'mon. Palms scored about 10 seconds later. Did not leave the position I was in until after Barzal sealed it. My foot fell asleep but it was well worth it. Keep it rolling now!!

Reactions: Strummergas

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Lee and Palms playing at a different level these last four games.

Barzal out there last 40 seconds of a one goal game. And in the right spot. That's different.

Wonder what our record would be if Pulock had been healthy this year.
Lee busted his ass on a full rink backcheck to break up a scoring chance. Never saw him skate like that before.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Lee busted his ass on a full rink backcheck to break up a scoring chance. Never saw him skate like that before.
Ha funny you mention that at one point I thought ‘is that Lee with the fast back check?’ Guess it was lol

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
He looked f***ing terrible, but do I give him credit for coming back and playing through an injury when the team was down a bunch of defensemen.

That's the kind of guy who plays for his teammates (albeit terribly lol).
yeah that shot he took off of Dahlin absolutely murdered his 2023-2024 campaign

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
3 key thoughts here:
- Although sometimes risky, I was impressed with how often the Dmen could move the puck between themselves in our zone and not just throw it away up the ice.
- Horvat was RIGHT smack dab in the middle of the two goals against and it looked ugly each time. VERY important that he made up for that with his tremendous game-winner.
- I thought it was Barzal's worst game of the year. He just didn't have it. And then he got sloppy sometimes too, to top it off. As such, also pretty important that he was able to put the guys at ease with his very slick emptynetter.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
3 key thoughts here:
- Although sometimes risky, I was impressed with how often the Dmen could move the puck between themselves in our zone and not just throw it away up the ice.
- Horvat was RIGHT smack dab in the middle of the two goals against and it looked ugly each time. VERY important that he made up for that with his tremendous game-winner.
- I thought it was Barzal's worst game of the year. He just didn't have it. And then he got sloppy sometimes too, to top it off. As such, also pretty important that he was able to put the guys at ease with his very slick emptynetter.
As bad as Barzal looked (knew he was off when he missed an easy saucer pass he makes all the time), Nelson looked great moving the puck. And if it weren't for a couple of desperate stick checks he might have potted a goal. It's interesting that from what I can tell, Barzal (apart from faceoffs) has the center's responsibilities in the neutral zone & defensive zone most of the time. Probably that's a natural result of him playing as the F3.

Idk what's up with Palmieri. He still looks ponderous out there, but somehow he's getting it done offensively. Also (somehow) he isn't turning the puck over in the neutral zone anymore, which was something that happened regularly. Is it about deployment? (That is, Roy plays the Horvat or Cizikas line against top offensive opponents?)

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Coming up on 3 year anniversary of ACL. Rehab has been good for him. He's now skating faster than ever. Which is to say he doesn't look like the slowest guy on the ice anymore.
Save that moniker for Matt Martin.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Would love to see these team get hot and make the playoffs and be in position to do damage (maybe even get to face NYR in round 1), but I'm more interested to see what the team can do with Roy and him having a full training camp to work with the team.

He took over on the fly this year with the team in a desperate situation and probably has only been able to tinker with things given the limited practice time.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
we out played them quite handily and should have won. Sorokin wasn't very busy but he was good. Our team seems to be moving the puck quicker, with more short passes. I like. Nothing is more frustrating than watching a guy like Barzal or Nelson try and thread the needle through two opponents, to a guy 40 ft away, and get picked off.

Barzal got stripped a few times, and is still holding on to the puck too long. I feel like he is getting better at not giving the puck away, but still needs to work at it.

Aho is a pretty good option, for a 7th D, given that he plays both sides and is cheap. Against a speedy team, he may be a better option than Mayfield.

I think that Mayfield is showing signs of improving his passing game. I certainly would not trade him this year, but would really work on his possession game/mistakes.

I think Pulock and Pelech have picked it up since being split up.

Overall, I am happy with Roy and his changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad