GDT: GDT #61 New York Islanders vs St. Louis Blues | March 5th | 7:30 PM | F/4-2 W

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
3 key thoughts here:
- Although sometimes risky, I was impressed with how often the Dmen could move the puck between themselves in our zone and not just throw it away up the ice.
- Horvat was RIGHT smack dab in the middle of the two goals against and it looked ugly each time. VERY important that he made up for that with his tremendous game-winner.
- I thought it was Barzal's worst game of the year. He just didn't have it. And then he got sloppy sometimes too, to top it off. As such, also pretty important that he was able to put the guys at ease with his very slick emptynetter.
This! Totally agree and it seems like Roy really emphasizes reverses against the boards and behind the net to kickstart the breakout.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This! Totally agree and it seems like Roy really emphasizes reverses against the boards and behind the net to kickstart the breakout.
That's how the Montreal Canadiens played in the 80ies and early 90ies so makes sense.

That's Hockey 100 . . . taught from Pee Wee on up
In practice at the NHL level not that much anymore. You don't see it to the extend you did back in the days where dmen would wait and / or exchange the puck behind the net waiting for an opportunity all the time.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
3 key thoughts here:
- Although sometimes risky, I was impressed with how often the Dmen could move the puck between themselves in our zone and not just throw it away up the ice.
- Horvat was RIGHT smack dab in the middle of the two goals against and it looked ugly each time. VERY important that he made up for that with his tremendous game-winner.
- I thought it was Barzal's worst game of the year. He just didn't have it. And then he got sloppy sometimes too, to top it off. As such, also pretty important that he was able to put the guys at ease with his very slick emptynetter.
Good teams get ugly wins.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I was skeptical about Barzal as well, but he's been very good this year. He gets into funks, but all players do.

I thought he wasn't producing much because of the defensive system. Remember us always saying that if he was on another team, he'd have a year like this. Roy just opened things up and plays a more sophisticated way of what Weight was trying to do.

Reactions: mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I thought he wasn't producing much because of the defensive system. Remember us always saying that if he was on another team, he'd have a year like this. Roy just opened things up and plays a more sophisticated way of what Weight was trying to do.
The kid blazed onto the NHL scene as a 20 year old center and put up 85 points. Only a few hall of famers have done this in the 21st century. Talent was always there, systems and running mates help. Think #13 is just scratching the surface, he has proven to elevate his game in the post season and plays fairly well in big games. Is he McDavid and Kucherov no....

Reactions: Potvottier

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
That's the most striking thing to me with their play under Roy. Especially with the D, but overall just the patience with the puck. I suspect that was coached out of them under the prior two coaches. I'm having to adjust to it. I feel like I'm back at my kids' travel soccer games when they were first starting out and want to yell, "get it out!!". But like in soccer, if you can pull it off it's much better to be patient and move the puck/ball around to retain possession and advance as a unit.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
That's the most striking thing to me with their play under Roy. Especially with the D, but overall just the patience with the puck. I suspect that was coached out of them under the prior two coaches. I'm having to adjust to it. I feel like I'm back at my kids' travel soccer games when they were first starting out and want to yell, "get it out!!". But like in soccer, if you can pull it off it's much better to be patient and move the puck/ball around to retain possession and advance as a unit.
Oh. You're one of those parents...

;)

I have a mom on my son's peewee team who yells shoot so much (even more than @Bones45 does) it drives me crazy. One of our players gets possession, BEHIND THE RED LINE, and she's yelling "shoooooot it!" at the top of her lungs. Ugh.

• Haha
Reactions: TMI and doublechili

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Some Rangers fans were just as usual being their insecure selves and bashing the Islanders for "loser points" yet again. So I thought I posted a perfectly reasonable and non-partisan response, given opposing fans post on our boards sometimes. See below for my response and then an example of the response from a Rags fan after. Such a great group of people lol
So OT wins now mean nothing. Honestly, I just came here in peace because I thought it was funny that Boston had more OT/SO losses than the Isles now and wanted to see if anybody was talking about that. But it is funny how the narrative keeps changing. Couldnt the Isles flip that argument and say well there are only 8 teams in the entire league with less regulation losses than they have? It is all a matter of perspective. For fans whose teams have a lot of OT losses they will use that argument, and those that dont will use your argument. But the one fact is every NHL team plays with the same rules. Those other teams fighting for a playoff spot should maybe not lose so many games in regulation then, right?

No one cares. Stop trying to win a Medal of Honor by defending the islanders on the rangers board.

your team stinks and no matter how many pounds of loser point makeup you try to cake on that face.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Oh. You're one of those parents...

;)

I have a mom on my son's peewee team who yells shoot so much (even more than @Bones45 does) it drives me crazy. One of our players gets possession, BEHIND THE RED LINE, and she's yelling "shoooooot it!" at the top of her lungs. Ugh.
Wait until she sees the kids who never pass….

Some Rangers fans were just as usual being their insecure selves and bashing the Islanders for "loser points" yet again. So I thought I posted a perfectly reasonable and non-partisan response, given opposing fans post on our boards sometimes. See below for my response and then an example of the response from a Rags fan after. Such a great group of people lol

No one cares. Stop trying to win a Medal of Honor by defending the islanders on the rangers board.

your team stinks and no matter how many pounds of loser point makeup you try to cake on that face.
Who gives a fvck what rangers fans post? Why even bother reading and responding?

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
and, just like everything else in the NHL, imitated by kids everywhere. I'm with you.
They're throwing guys out of games in college baseball this year for flipping their bats after HRs. So maybe there's hope.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Would love to see these team get hot and make the playoffs and be in position to do damage (maybe even get to face NYR in round 1), but I'm more interested to see what the team can do with Roy and him having a full training camp to work with the team.

Maybe we can have both?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Posting at TML or NYR boards = Begging for a world of brain-scarring hurt

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Have been seeing this maturity more and more from him. If he can stay healthy throughout his career, there will come a point in time that his defensive play will surpass his offensive play. Maybe in 4 years or so.

Not sure I see this, with that said, his defensive game is much improved from his rookie season. His pickpocketing ability is Datsyukian, he creates turnovers, and skates the full 200 ft.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Posting at TML or NYR boards = Begging for a world of brain-scarring hurt

927243.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad