GDT: GDT #49 New York Islanders vs Florida Panthers | January 27th | 7:30 PM | F/4-3 OTL

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
You may be right, but Malkin has spent a lot of money. He did not have to that has little/no bearing on whether or not people ultimately show up. Also, they locked most season-ticket holders into 5+ year deals. in the short term, he’s totally good, but if he doesn’t do something about Lou/the state of his team, then in 5–10 years, he is going to start losing a bunch of money each season
Nope, the valuation of the franchise gets him a free shopping village and a hotel. The corporate support reups for concerts and other events. At 50% islanders ‘regular fan’ attendance, he’ll be fine as the valuation of the franchise will continue to rise.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Well that was disappointing. Played good in the first, then looked lazy and disinterested much of the rest of the way. Credit where credit is due - Florida put on a masterclass in clogging up the neutral zone and defending their blue line, making it extremely difficult for the isles to carry the puck in to the zone.

and Martin is cooked. The game has passed him by.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
The Panthers penalty kill pressured the puck carrier instantly. Our PK just sits back in a box and hopes for a block.
Night and day. Theirs is effective,ours is garbage. The isles box collapses back in on the goalie so quick until it’s just a pile of bodies in front. The scramble, puck easily in the back of the net. It’s so ridiculously bad.

Reactions: Potvottier

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I thought overall our play was improved. Lees turn overs and better coverage. Also looked like they were playing the middle of the ice better. Yes, this looked more like a playoff game even if we looked a bit slower than the last two games. And....the Panthers were playing killer D all night, in all three zones.

I so want to make the playoffs, BUT i so want to see our team playing well even more. No way anything turns around, with this crew, in four games but hell, overall I have seen a better team this week. Progress.....it might very well just need to be more about next season.

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
Also, mayfield didn’t look terrible.

#brightside

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
You may be right, but Malkin has spent a lot of money. He did not have to that has little/no bearing on whether or not people ultimately show up. Also, they locked most season-ticket holders into 5+ year deals. in the short term, he’s totally good, but if he doesn’t do something about Lou/the state of his team, then in 5–10 years, he is going to start losing a bunch of money each season
wow I just do know near nothing about tix and prices as I don't care while being a life time Isles stream watcher instead. could not afford the flight and all to see Isles live in arena, but this is okay for me as I will support them with enthusiasm from living room couch. But that point many of the season ticket holders do have 5+ years deals I found this shocking - poor lads have to watch the waning Lou years all these 5 years (assuming Lou will live long until or after that time span). I do have a season ticket for local 2nd league football team (some 100 miles drive to them though) and they are playing not good this year so I skip nearly half of the games to save time and money for gas. This is not a great waste as the single game ticket is about 20 bucks. I imagine what Isles season tickets are priced and how much would I lose when buying but not using it.

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
It's time to move Anders Lee for cash and picks. Do as best as you can. He's been a great Islander, he's a consummate pro. But at his AAV right now I can't justify what he is bringing to this team. He's a net negative on the Bo/Barzy line and he just slows the whole thing down.

We made the choice for Noah Dobson to be the guy we build around. Pelly deal is fine so you keep him. Romanov is workable.

That said, the Aho, Salo, Bolduc trio just isn't what we'd hoped it would be. None of those. Aho is 27, this is his prime. This is what he is, he's the guy you move on from first.

The islanders have several key guys locked up long term. But the pieces you retool around are Bo, Barzy, Nelson, Pelly and Dobson.

Anyone else is fair game to move.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Path to making playoffs will be third in metro, flyers are taking on water and look vulnerable.
I guess you’re assuming there’ll be 5 teams from the East which looks probable at this point though I’m not sold on Detroit.

Even if we jump past Philly do we also jump over the rest of the bubble teams (NJ, Wash and Pitt)?

To have a chance, I think we need both Pelech and Pulock back full time and then cross our fingers there aren’t any more injuries. All that so we can sneak in to be a bubble team. Even if that were to happen. this defense is going nowhere in the playoffs.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Woody looks like his Spirit is Broken...
I Think He Knows He Is Going To Get Traded.
That must be a shitty feeling....
"Woody" hasn't been very good for a while now, regulation or OT. We might have to start pulling some of the old Nelson jokes out of the archives if he doesn't wake up after the break.

I initially put primary blame on Reilly for the OT goal, but after watching the replay a few times it seems like Palmieri (I think) was late getting over the boards on the change and slow to accelerate to catch up to OEL. Reilly may have reasonably thought Palmieri would cover OEL and by the time he realized that wasn't happening he was in no man's land.

As bad as Engvall was in the previous game, and as frustrating as he can be with his soft play, I saw glimpses of a few of the positive things in his game (passing, neutral zone puck-carrying) last night. That contract isn't getting traded, so he and Nelson need to get back to where they were last season.

I'm thinking that the biggest problem with Aho is not as much his lack of size as it is his decision-making, specifically the speed of his mental processing on the ice. His momentary hesitation leads to errors constantly.

I wonder if Roy makes some line changes after break?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Nope, the valuation of the franchise gets him a free shopping village and a hotel. The corporate support reups for concerts and other events. At 50% islanders ‘regular fan’ attendance, he’ll be fine as the valuation of the franchise will continue to rise.

Well if you think that winning goes hand in hand with valuation of a franchise (as I do) then I think Malkin is going to be in some financial pain in the next 3-5 years minimum.

It's time to move Anders Lee for cash and picks. Do as best as you can. He's been a great Islander, he's a consummate pro. But at his AAV right now I can't justify what he is bringing to this team. He's a net negative on the Bo/Barzy line and he just slows the whole thing down.

The 2nd part of this paragraph is why we cannot do the 1st part.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Three comments after attending last night's game:

1) First time I was there since the Park had opened. It is really pretty amazing. Very impressed. It is like a mini carnival. And it was really cool seeing all the alumni there interacting with the fans.

2) I somewhat changed my mind about the stadium series jersey after seeing it in person in the Isles Lab. I still dont love it and think it could have been a lot better, but it looks way better in person than it does in the photos.

3) Saved the worst for last. That was a truly awful performance on the ice last night. We had no business getting a point out of that game let alone two had Nelson scored on that breakaway in OT. Outside of some of the first period and maybe the last two minutes of the third, that was maybe the most listless and disappointing performance I have seen in person by the Isles in a long time. It is one thing to make mistakes or just get outplayed but last night there was no jump, no energy, no hustle, no offensive push, no fight. Nothing. I could not believe how many times I saw players just coasting around the ice at half speed or literally not even attempting to get to or battle for a loose puck. That looked no different than the worst of the worst Lambert games. I saw no difference last night. I had some hope after the previous two games even in losses because they played hard and were getting tons of scoring chances. After last night, I sat there and it really hit me that this is not a playoff team right now.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I'm a season ticket holder and have been for 10 years now. I have never ONCE been approached about signing on for multiple years. It's always a year to year basis. Perhaps because my plan is a bit more modest than some (I sit in the 200s), but this has never been a decision I've had to make.

@MJF do you know anything about multi-year extensions for ticket plans?

Reactions: Big L

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Well if you think that winning goes hand in hand with valuation of a franchise (as I do) then I think Malkin is going to be in some financial pain in the next 3-5 years minimum.

Perif, this is one you can easily research. Here's the Forbes valuations from Dec 2022:

Note that last year's Cup finalist is 31st and that Carolina is in the bottom 5. There is no way that winning is correlated to value in the NHL. It's major market (likely due to the local TV revenue) and Canadian teams do have an extra layer of broadcast revenues. We're more valuable than Tampa Bay and Vegas too.

Last edited:

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
Gotta cut out the Deadwood, who cannot keep up with the pace anymore.
Breaks my heart but a few players need to go...
True. Though I'm not sure why it breaks your heart? I'm so sick of looking of those same middling faces I dream about them being gone. Unfortunately those who need to go; Lee, Nelson, Pageau, Palmieri, Engvall, Mayfield (who gives a $3M player a full NTC?!) almost certainly aren't going anywhere. Oh, and of course, I dream most regularly about Lou being gone with no one named Lamoriello being allowed anywhere near the building for the next 100 years.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm a season ticket holder and have been for 10 years now. I have never ONCE been approached about signing on for multiple years. It's always a year to year basis. Perhaps because my plan is a bit more modest than some (I sit in the 200s), but this has never been a decision I've had to make.

@MJF do you know anything about multi-year extensions for ticket plans?
I only heard of this for Hyundai Club partial plans and Dime Club seating.

Reactions: Strummergas

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I actually did like Engvall's game last night. Thought he was much faster and wanted to shoot the puck more. Gotta see the out of him anyways.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
True. Though I'm not sure why it breaks your heart? I'm so sick of looking of those same middling faces I dream about them being gone. Unfortunately those who need to go; Lee, Nelson, Pageau, Palmieri, Engvall, Mayfield (who gives a $3M player a full NTC?!) almost certainly aren't going anywhere. Oh, and of course, I dream most regularly about Lou being gone with no one named Lamoriello being allowed anywhere near the building for the next 100 years.

I'm the Loyal Type to a fault....
But I agree, what needs to be done, must Be Done.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad