GDT: GDT #49 New York Islanders vs Florida Panthers | January 27th | 7:30 PM | F/4-3 OTL

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
1706413697894.jpeg
concerning that they've scored even less this season

Reactions: xECK29x

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
It’s not, when the statement was that Lou ‘destroyed the team’. There was nothing to destroy in the first place.
If you really believe that there was nothing there in the first place then Lou's sins are even more egregious, Logically, if you have "nothing to destroy" and you keep doubling down on that then what you've really done is destroy the future for a present that never had a chance (short of a world wide pandemic saving your ass and creating the illusion that you are actually a contender), which is exactly what Lou has done.

Having said that, there is nothing of great significance that Lou can do to change our short and mid-range fate because of the contracts he has agreed to and the prospect pool he has decimated, so while I don't advocate being a buyer at the deadline at all, having a fire sale probably doesn't make any sense because he isn't going to get much back with the tradeable pieces he's got.

Finally, crazy as it seems at the moment, the fact of the matter is that none of the wild card contenders short of TB and DET are playing well either so there is still an opening. This is not a great team by any stretch but it isn't terrible either and they can certainly compete with the likes of PIT, WAS, PHI and even depleted and goalieless NJ. Stranger things have happened, even if it's only to be the sacrificial lamb to BOS or CAR.

Reactions: Osakahaus

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
If you really believe that there was nothing there in the first place then Lou's sins are even more egregious, Logically, if you have "nothing to destroy" and you keep doubling down on that then what you've really done is destroy the future for a present that never had a chance (short of a world wide pandemic saving your ass and creating the illusion that you are actually a contender), which is exactly what Lou has done.

Having said that, there is nothing of great significance that Lou can do to change our short and mid-range fate because of the contracts he has agreed to and the prospect pool he has decimated, so while I don't advocate being a buyer at the deadline at all, having a fire sale probably doesn't make any sense because he isn't going to get much back with the tradeable pieces he's got.

Finally, crazy as it seems at the moment, the fact of the matter is that none of the wild card contenders short of TB and DET are playing well either so there is still an opening. This is not a great team by any stretch but it isn't terrible either and they can certainly compete with the likes of PIT, WAS, PHI and even depleted and goalieless NJ. Stranger things have happened, even if it's only to be the sacrificial lamb to BOS or CAR.

Lou has turned the Islanders into a respectable, stable franchise. That cannot be understated, after two of the worst GMs in history left this franchise in ruins.

Say whatever you want about the hockey being played, but the only thing to complain about these days is hockey.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
I’m ready to move anyone not named Barzal, Horvat, or Dobson. It’s ok to admit the team isn’t capable of winning as constructed.
Reality is Dobson should be the only one not moved, by the time the Isles get better Horvat is going to be over the hill, and I am guessing Barzal is not going to want to hang around for a rebuild, time to rebuild was last year, this is a f#@$d team but still rebuilding is the only option with what you are able to.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This is not a great team by any stretch but it isn't terrible either and they can certainly compete with the likes of PIT, WAS, PHI and even depleted and goalieless NJ. Stranger things have happened, even if it's only to be the sacrificial lamb to BOS or CAR.
But as a fan, we want the cup. I hate that this has been the mantra for the past decade almost.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Ideally, they need another top 6 forward, top 4 Dman, depth for the bottom 6 and bottom pairing. That’s a lot and none of that realistically is going to happen. Lou will have to be very creative to clear some space this off-season.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
Lou has turned the Islanders into a respectable, stable franchise. That cannot be understated, after two of the worst GMs in history left this franchise in ruins.

Say whatever you want about the hockey being played, but the only thing to complain about these days is hockey.
Blah, blah respectable. The Minnesota Wild of the East. Just good enough to stay middle of the pack forever.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Ideally, they need another top 6 forward, top 4 Dman, depth for the bottom 6 and bottom pairing. That’s a lot and none of that realistically is going to happen. Lou will have to be very creative to clear some space this off-season.
They need a LOT and we dont have anything. Islanders need to develop but Bridgeport develops forwards like my grandpa when he has to work: it doesn't happen.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Why though, essentially it was a playoff grind it out game. Roy is still in fact finding mission, breaking it down and building them back at same time. it’s going well beyond these last 33 games into off-season and next
That didn’t resemble a playoff atmosphere. The team looked stale, weaker than Fla, and barely could get a point.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I want to like the owner...i just get a bad feeling they want asses in the seats no matter what. its been time to retool this team for a while not keep trying to sneak in the playoffs. this is not a playoff hockey team and despite our loser points, talent wise not even close.

You may be right, but Malkin has spent a lot of money. He did not have to that has little/no bearing on whether or not people ultimately show up. Also, they locked most season-ticket holders into 5+ year deals. in the short term, he’s totally good, but if he doesn’t do something about Lou/the state of his team, then in 5–10 years, he is going to start losing a bunch of money each season

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That didn’t resemble a playoff atmosphere. The team looked stale, weaker than Fla, and barely could get a point.
We are lacking compared to the contenders. There are no pats on the head for holding our own and coming up short in Game 49. Some folks around here can only look at the standings and hope nobody runs away from us.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Uhhh, I definitely do not like reading that.
5v5 I thought they were fine. Florida is one of the best teams in the league. Analytics back up the 5v5 play. The PK is beating them every night. They got smoked on the Pk tonight. Bunch of grade A chances. Lots of opportunities in general.

Reactions: Potvottier

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
We are lacking compared to the contenders. There are no pats on the head for holding our own and coming up short in Game 49. Some folks around here can only look at the standings and hope nobody runs away from us.
Path to making playoffs will be third in metro, flyers are taking on water and look vulnerable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad