GDT: GDT #47 New York Islanders vs Vegas Golden Knights | January 23rd | 7:30 PM | F/3-2 L

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Mistakes killed them for sure. Two dumb plays (one by Pelech, one by Dobson) were the difference tonight. It would be nice if a switch could be flipped when a new coach takes over that would make all the bad habits disappear, but it obviously takes more than that when there are structural issues that need to be fixed. But some encouraging play nonetheless.

Hopefully we see Varly on Thursday, and hopefully it's nothing more serious than a few broken teeth for Horvat.
Well, three really. Sorokin made a mistake that lead to a goal. Overall, an encouraging game but as someone here pointed out earlier, it's too late for moral victories. Need points.

Reactions: LeapOnOver and Konk

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Well, three really. Sorokin made a mistake that lead to a goal. Overall, an encouraging game but as someone here pointed out earlier, it's too late for moral victories. Need points.

Indeed they need points. But again, it's not like flipping a switch. We're seeing signs of life and positive change. I'm on the fence about the upcoming bye week though; it's either great or terrible timing.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
How in the flying f*** do you lump in Lambert with Trotz by saying "I'm so glad those two are gone."

Do you hate winning?
When you view the game through the prism of what's good for Mat Barzal that's what you get.

22+1

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Sorokin really needs a break.
So do a lot of the posters here! The angst is bordering on Tony Soprano seeing a shrink level.

ENJOY the sport more, the sun comes up in the East every day. Smell the flowers. Seduce the spouse.

I feel like I'm watching an Armageddon documentary on a loop at times here.

• Love
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
How in the flying f*** do you lump in Lambert with Trotz by saying "I'm so glad those two are gone."

Do you hate winning?
I love winning. I love winning especially when it matters. I despised the way Trotz approached the game. I love the way Roy approaches the game. I love the way Arbour approached the game. They don't teach the players to sit back. I like SPORT.

Yeah so I am super super SUPER happy any remnants of that style of play is gone and it was exactly what this team needed. Don't care if anyone else likes it. I didn't. They say it's not whether you win or lose that matters but how you play the game. There's a lot of insight in that.

Why do you think Lamiorello fired these two? I agree with his decision(s) and I already like what I see in Roy. That era of hockey is now completely gone. You can cry over spilled milk if you want but I am completely ecstatic this team on the right track again.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
You seem to be the one that needs to calm the f*** down
You said he was going to be like Jim Carey because of this one season, you should calm down lmao. I don't think Ilya is terrible when he's playing near every start this season without a break.

The biggest issue (to me) is that the islanders need to convert more on their chances. I think this should be the end of using Gauthier on the third line. Maclean looks very good as a 4C, and he'll get a goal or two before being sent down. Islanders PK has been a bit better but that Rempal shot cannot go in. That's probably the biggest "man what the hell" moment from me.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
When you have a coaches preaching that there is only ONE right way to play hockey I've had enough. The team had enough. The fans had enough. Yes, I am tired of it. Saying things such as this means you have no respect for other systems. They would have no respect for Roy's system because apparently it's not the right way to play hockey. I've never been a huge fan of Trotz style hockey been saying it for years. Yeah so I am super super SUPER happy any remnants of that style of play is gone. Don't care if anyone else likes it. I didn't. They say it's not whether you win or lose that matters but how you play the game. There's a lot of insight in that.

Who's 'they'?

I'd like to introduce them to this guy, kinda famous, generally regarded as a pretty decent coach named Vince Lombardi. “Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.”

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
outside of nelson our second line is horrible too
I think its telling Engvall is a bigger motor than we think

also telling that the isles depth is pretty shitty when the 2nd line falls apart when you don't have Pierre Engvall there.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I was only able to watch the first couple of periods last night, but from what I saw the Isles played well except for at least one big mistake on each of the goals (Gauthier and Pelech on the 1st, Mayfield penalty and then Sorokin on the 2nd, and Dobson on the 3rd).

But unlike a lot of games this year, I didn't have to convince myself to keep watching - I was actually enjoying it. I don't think they've had an actual full practice yet, so if Roy's able to make that kind of turnaround in a couple of skates and a long video session, I'm hopeful things could get better around here.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Yea those back to back final 4s were a real drag.
Appearing in a couple ECF as a sign of success?

I was 15 years old when the Isles won their 4th cup. 19 consecutive playoff series victories. Your standards are way way too low.

Their drive for 5 a CUP FINAL appearance was considered a failure by the team, by Al by the fans, but we loved the team for everything they had done and more people showed up for that Cup loss than at any other Cup victory. I don't see back to back ECF appearances as any measure of success. The 73 Isles were already going deep into the playoffs but they improved every year after that and did not go backwards. This team was going backwards with the previous regime.

Anyone who was around during the dynasty years would tell you the way Trotz and obviously Lambert was coaching this team would put this team nowhere near the Cup.

Roy anchored a dynasty. He knows the right way to play the game. He knows what it takes. He knows the mindset. The winning attitude. I trust this guy's opinion. I like that he says he just takes a different approach to hockey rather than claiming that there is only one way to play hockey right. I'm looking forward to having him around for a long time. Good riddance on the other two.

Who's 'they'?

I'd like to introduce them to this guy, kinda famous, generally regarded as a pretty decent coach named Vince Lombardi. “Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.”
EXACTLY. And we got nowhere with BALDY. Do you want to win or not??????

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
But you don't value winning as highly as the way the game is played.

So why does it matter how far Baldy got?

And everyday I learn something new! The ECF = Nowhere.
NO I value how the game is played because that's what lead you to Cup and according to you that's the only way to view the game.

No one remembers you for participating in an ECF. It's a joke!

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
NO I value how the game is played because that's what lead you to Cup and according to you that's the only way to view the game.

No one remembers you for participating in an ECF. It's a joke!

When did I say that Trotz's way is the ONLY way to view the game?

You argue with so many posters you forget who you are communicating with.

Why the f*** do I care that "no one" remembers you for participating in an ECF? I remember it.

Deuces!

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Any idea where one could buy the Isles Pride hat they were selling at the stadium yesterday?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad