GDT: GDT #47 New York Islanders vs Vegas Golden Knights | January 23rd | 7:30 PM | F/3-2 L

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
I dont even see him fixing it this year, not with this current group. this isnt a very good hockey team. let roy evaluate and retool it going forward and maybe well have a new window of opportunity. this current groups ceiling is in the 8-11th range in the east.
More retool talk. Somebody, anybody, show me the plan whereby this team can retool? Is the rest of the league just going to trade us back better than the garbage we can trade to them? There isn't a player on our roster that is worth a damn that doesn't have trade protection and the ones that don't we don't want to lose and aren't going get back better than in trade anyway. As for the farm system, be real. Bottom five in the league. Lou has boxed us into a corner that we aren't getting out of any time soon. Face it, we're all in with a not terrible, but far from great, just OK hand.

Reactions: Ishkabible

Symon Asher

Sep 13, 2011
Did you watch his game disintegrate right after that season?
I remember a reporter saying Jim Carey plays like Actor Jim Carrey the very next year :laugh:
Exactly. That’s why I am comparing Sorkin to him
His goaltending is “distegrating” before our eyes
We have already seen the best of Sorokin

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Calm the f*** down with Ilya having a down year and still being good with his numbers

Reactions: mm11

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
No but it’s game 2 of a new coach and you can already see positive changes and differences
Most teams get a bump when a new coach comes in. Can't judge one way or another at this point. Lots of energy, enthusiasm and adrenaline flowing right now but we'll see how sustainable it is and if they are responding to all of the stick banging and teeth whistling a month from now. All of the rah rah stuff has a pretty short shelf life at the NHL level and particularly with a veteran roster. Let's not forget that this guy had one good season in COL and then flamed out quickly after that. This is not the Q.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.

I disagree. For many reasons including what Sorokin accomplished in Russia before coming here...
Anybody facing 40+ every night is gonna lose confidence and get burned out mentally and physically.
Jim Carey? Come on....

Reactions: TMI and MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Team has so many dumb mistakes - seems like a mental funk between Trotz and Lambert’s systems. The latter being somewhat chaotic.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Mistakes killed them for sure. Two dumb plays (one by Pelech, one by Dobson) were the difference tonight. It would be nice if a switch could be flipped when a new coach takes over that would make all the bad habits disappear, but it obviously takes more than that when there are structural issues that need to be fixed. But some encouraging play nonetheless.

Hopefully we see Varly on Thursday, and hopefully it's nothing more serious than a few broken teeth for Horvat.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
This was a good game. Too bad we didn’t have Roy much much sooner.

Regarding Sorokin the first step Roy should probably do is get this kid some counseling. For all the shit Lambert exposed him to the guys confidence is somewhat shot. This has got to be one the worse years in his entire career. Give him some pep talk look at some tapes when he actually had a defensive system in front of him. Lambert really did a number on this guy.

Last edited:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Team has so many dumb mistakes - seems like a mental funk between Trotz and Lambert’s systems. The latter being somewhat chaotic.
It’s called being lost between bad and worse. I’m so glad those two are gone. It’s 3 years too late. What a waste of the young talent on this team. Appreciate the playoffs but hasta la vista.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BrockLobster

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
It’s going to take every ounce of Roy’s being to restore the confidence in most of the Islander players psyche. These guys have been put through the ringer. I would like to punch those fans who booed tonight at UBS after the loss. They gave it their all. These greasy fans should just stay home. What a bunch of morons.

I disagree. For many reasons including what Sorokin accomplished in Russia before coming here...
Anybody facing 40+ every night is gonna lose confidence and get burned out mentally and physically.
Jim Carey? Come on....
Didn’t see this but I agree Sorokins confidence is a bit shaken thanks to steelhead..

The shot count was 43-27, scoring chances were 39-14 and high-danger chances were 16-6, per Natural Stat Trick. Exactly the type of numbers I want to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYI365

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
This was a good game. Too bad we didn’t have Roy much much sooner.

Regarding Sorokin the first step Roy should probably do is get this kid some counseling. For all the shit Lambert exposed him to the guys confidence is somewhat shot. This has got to be one the worse years in his entire career. Give him some pep talk look at some tapes when he actually had a defensive system in front of him. Lambert really did a number on this guy.
Sorokin is going to get hot down the stretch with Patty giving him all the mental peep talk along the way. Team looked good and really like the aggressive play by the D.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Mistakes killed them for sure. Two dumb plays (one by Pelech, one by Dobson) were the difference tonight. It would be nice if a switch could be flipped when a new coach takes over that would make all the bad habits disappear, but it obviously takes more than that when there are structural issues that need to be fixed. But some encouraging play nonetheless.

Hopefully we see Varly on Thursday, and hopefully it's nothing more serious than a few broken teeth for Horvat.
The right side of our defense was, again, a problem. Aho, as usual, couldn't retrieve a puck, and actually turned it over twice before Pelech, now scrambling, turned it over. The Mayfield penalty, in a game where they were letting them play, was unnecessary. He continues to struggle with the increased role and Pulock out. Dobson get's bailed out in the D zone and it's a credit to Romanov but you accept the Dobson mistake because he is a net positive a nd considerably so. When Pulock comes back, this gets better.

Our team played well and effort wasn't an issue. Scoring 5v5 is though. Fourth line had some terrific shifts. Too many dead spots from a goal scoring standpoint up front. Not sure what Engvall's status is but he would help. Perry might have as well when you consider his ability around the net. We had so many pucks there last night.

Isles are 6-12 with Aho back in the lineup btw.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Sorokin really needs a break.
Exactly, Varlamov needs to give him some time on the bench. Goalie seems a lot like your golf game , when your good your good but when bad habits set in , it’s time to take a break and come back fresh otherwise the bad habits become part of your game and tough to lose

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Going against a severely depleted and tired Vegas team - you should outshoot and outplay them. Coming away with 0 points is bad.
The Roster is going to be Roy’s issue. The only way to make this roster better is to find a way to grab 2 solid defensemen. Two good puck moving defenders giving us 3 , leaving Romanov/Pelech/Pulock as stay at home guys

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
It’s called being lost between bad and worse. I’m so glad those two are gone. It’s 3 years too late. What a waste of the young talent on this team. Appreciate the playoffs but hasta la vista.

How in the flying f*** do you lump in Lambert with Trotz by saying "I'm so glad those two are gone."

Do you hate winning?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
More retool talk. Somebody, anybody, show me the plan whereby this team can retool? Is the rest of the league just going to trade us back better than the garbage we can trade to them? There isn't a player on our roster that is worth a damn that doesn't have trade protection and the ones that don't we don't want to lose and aren't going get back better than in trade anyway. As for the farm system, be real. Bottom five in the league. Lou has boxed us into a corner that we aren't getting out of any time soon. Face it, we're all in with a not terrible, but far from great, just OK hand.
We're doomed. Dammit.

Reactions: mm11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad