GDT: GDT: 4/11 Caps vs Sabres

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
There are two sides to offseason. How much stock do you put in youth versus vets.

I’d like to see a 1LD signing. I’d like to see a 2LW signing. We have cap space for both. Those two adds changes a lot.

Still gives you room on right for Leonard with either Wilson or Oshie playing 4RW. Sutter could be 13F. Miro to Hershey, I’d keep both TVR and Jensen for another year with Iorio a callup. Patches and NAK out.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Because they scored a 3rd goal in the game. Caps haven't scored more than 2 goals in a game for 8 straight! That is totally ridiculous!

Our team is bad, and should feel bad.

Milano - bad ( i dont care if he has 'value')
NAK - get real
Patches (goodbye!)
CMM (undecided)
Protas (ya, he's a 'playmaker' lol)
Wilson ( woof, maybe next year)

What can't be beat? A dead horse

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
There are two sides to offseason. How much stock do you put in youth versus vets.

I’d like to see a 1LD signing. I’d like to see a 2LW signing. We have cap space for both. Those two adds changes a lot.

Still gives you room on right for Leonard with either Wilson or Oshie playing 4RW. Sutter could be 13F. Miro to Hershey, I’d keep both TVR and Jensen for another year with Iorio a callup. Patches and NAK out.
Oshie should be retiring IMHO.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
You want to know why the Caps were fatigued and have been for good parts of the season, because they defend too much! I don't have to look at metrics to tell you they have to be one of the worst teams in sustained offensive zone time! You don't spend enough time in the offensive zone, then your opponents don't have to work as hard and they can keep an aggressive attack and take risks against the Caps!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Our team is bad, and should feel bad.

Milano - bad ( i dont care if he has 'value')
NAK - get real
Patches (goodbye!)
CMM (undecided)
Protas (ya, he's a 'playmaker' lol)
Wilson ( woof, maybe next year)

What can't be beat? A dead horse
Wilson looks like he doesn't care or he's playing injured. The good Tom Wilson I remember would go to the net and not be a ghost. CMM best projection was to be a 3C. He might have had a higher projection, but the offensive upside is not always there. Protas reminds me too much of Kozlov in OV's earlier days when Fedorov was playing for us. He's passing winger that won't shoot the puck enough. Milano has spurts of offensive flashiness, but he needs better line mates. NAK/Patches are free agents, so they will walk.

Reactions: Rockingred12

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
One issue I’ve hard with Carbery is playing some of his d-men into the ground. Carlson looks exhausted. I know you want to go down swinging with your best but you have to distribute the minutes more.
Another thing regarding the D, other than Carlson there are no other offensive threats on the back end! You get some with Sandin, but Alexeyev/Jensen/TVR/Fever give you very little offensive threats.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Can someone explain to me what Carbery's system is supposed to do when they enter the offensive zone possessing the puck? They don't cycle enough, they don't shoot enough, and they don't shoot for tips or rebounds. It's almost like forwards don't know what to do with the puck or how to shoot the puck when their are open lanes to do so? The way I see it in Carbs first year as coach, the Caps play to not lose and sacrifice too much offense to defend. The team has had no identity offensively, all season!

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Another thing regarding the D, other than Carlson there are no other offensive threats on the back end! You get some with Sandin, but Alexeyev/Jensen/TVR/Fever give you very little offensive threats.
Carlson's 'threat' only comes from giving up 2 high scoring chances for his one mediocre 'created' chance.

1712890148897.png

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Carbery is largely resigned to playing the only way this shoddy roster is capable of playing. Sit back, try to stay connected and be opportunistic.

They need to become more modernized re: lateral mobility, explosiveness, slipperiness and poise. But you wonder if they're even serious about...anything really...until this core all hangs it up. It doesn't really seem like it beyond various fairly generic youth/upside plays. Overall it remains pretty stuck in the mud.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Can someone explain to me what Carbery's system is supposed to do when they enter the offensive zone possessing the puck? They don't cycle enough, they don't shoot enough, and they don't shoot for tips or rebounds. It's almost like forwards don't know what to do with the puck or how to shoot the puck when their are open lanes to do so? The way I see it in Carbs first year as coach, the Caps play to not lose and sacrifice too much offense to defend. The team has had no identity offensively, all season!
Not sure it’s Carb’s system or whether the overall offensive talent is so lacking that creativity and puck movements are just not possible.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Not sure it’s Carb’s system or whether the overall offensive talent is so lacking that creativity and puck movements are just not possible.
It’s both. You have to play to talent level. I think this was Lavi’s issue. he was forcing “his” system and the talent/adoption wasn’t there. At least Carbs has balanced the two. And he is getting people to buy in.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I’d like to see more offense from the blue line. I’d like to sign a 1LD because i think that change the dynamic. Too bad Hanifin is off the market. I’d keep TVR and Jensen unless the right deal came along. Forces Iorio into the lineup but I have liked his skill and skating. I just think he is still not ready.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
There is enough NHL capable players on this roster to stick to the basics of offense, but they don't even execute that regularly in a game. Ownership/Management is partially to blame. Backstrom/Kuzy were still considered our top 2 centers before the season started. They are both gone due to a career over hip injury and a still talented player that played a lot better when addicted to cocaine! They didn't really have a concrete contingency plan to replace both at the same time. Strome has played well, but he's a 2C at best but more of a shooter than passer. None of our current centers are any good at being a setup man for shots!

If we are to improve the offense in free agency, I would look into a top 6 setup man type center and another scoring d-man. Offload Kuemper and either promote Hunter Shepard or sign an affordable vet goalie that can give you good starts to compliment Lindgren.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I’d like to see more offense from the blue line. I’d like to sign a 1LD because i think that change the dynamic. Too bad Hanifin is off the market. I’d keep TVR and Jensen unless the right deal came along. Forces Iorio into the lineup but I have liked his skill and skating. I just think he is still not ready.
Another offensive d-man would definitely take pressure off Carlson, who has been terribly overplayed. I saw this happen with Drew Doughty with the Kings being overworked and doing too much. Once the Kings got d-men help offensively, Doughty became the good two-way d-man he used to be. Mitch Love, who is a rookie assistant coach of defense, has to make a decision if Alexeyev will be played 15 min a night. If not, then someone else in the 3rd pair slot has to be playing that amount of mins.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
There is enough NHL capable players on this roster to stick to the basics of offense, but they don't even execute that regularly in a game. Ownership/Management is partially to blame. Backstrom/Kuzy were still considered our top 2 centers before the season started. They are both gone due to a career over hip injury and a still talented player that played a lot better when addicted to cocaine! They didn't really have a concrete contingency plan to replace both at the same time. Strome has played well, but he's a 2C at best but more of a shooter than passer. None of our current centers are any good at being a setup man for shots!

If we are to improve the offense in free agency, I would look into a top 6 setup man type center and another scoring d-man. Offload Kuemper and either promote Hunter Shepard or sign an affordable vet goalie that can give you good starts to compliment Lindgren.
This is youth bro. It takes time to develop. I have a hard time seeing McMichael as more than a 3C right now. But i see Lappy as a 2C and Strome as a 1/2C. I don’t think we go pivot. I’d rather get a scoring 2LW.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
This is youth bro. It takes time to develop. I have a hard time seeing McMichael as more than a 3C right now. But i see Lappy as a 2C and Strome as a 1/2C. I don’t think we go pivot. I’d rather get a scoring 2LW.
Make that 3 in free agency, a setup man center, offensive d-man and scoring winger. They can be mid tier and not top sought after free agents that will get overpaid. Tom Wilson was so wonky this season and we are not sure exactly why. He can be a 30/30 guy again. He just needs a good offseason to get back on track.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Yes there is youth, but are they being developed right at this level? I like what Hershey coach Todd Nelson has done with our prospects last and this season. Play the right way with 2-way hockey, play smart and score clutch goals with great goaltending(Stevenson could be a stud in the making, with Shepard being solid too). This is a good recipe for playoff hockey, when you don't have any offensive stud prospects in the system.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
This year was unusual in that we accelerated youth into NHL with Miro and Lappy. We usually bake our prospects. there is room for another with Leonard. You have to have a balance of vets and youth. But McMicahel will be third year. Lappy will hopefully develop more and be that setup buy. maybe we’ll decide that we need a top 6 center as well but i don’t think that is this year.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
This year was unusual in that we accelerated youth into NHL with Miro and Lappy. We usually bake our prospects. there is room for another with Leonard. You have to have a balance of vets and youth. But McMicahel will be third year. Lappy will hopefully develop more and be that setup buy. maybe we’ll decide that we need a top 6 center as well but i don’t think that is this year.
Lappi wasn't accelerated. He's 22 and this is his D+3 or 4 season.

Miro? Sure. But if he wasn't a first rounder I don't think he would have gotten a call up this year. He didn't exactly light the A on fire.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Admittedly did not watch this game just the Caps goals and the scrum in the end. The rare two fight in a single camera frame I had not see in a while and made me chuckle. Red tank has left Landover and his heading on the outerloop to the Mormon temple whose parking lot needs to be visited to bestow the holy grace of torn up asphalt.

Reactions: toolboyy

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Just like against the Leafs, the Caps had no answer against the Sabres either.

Take this stat for what it might be worth. The 3 remaining games, Bolts, Bruins and Flyers, the Caps are 1-0-1 against all 3 of them!

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Such a frustrating run this last scretch has been. After it looked like done and done they clearly relaxed and started to play fun hockey. Almost got there and then just… froze.

Someone appearantly decided it was time to get serious and we went the oppposite road as for example Islanders and Pens. Those teams went with ”nothing to lose, lets just throw pucks at the net and see what comes with it”, we went ”hey lets trap and slow it down to never score ourself again”.

losing by going at it with all you got is one thing, losing overly boring way and looking breathless while doing so is terrible to watch. I hope it wasnt Carbery who put the handbrake on for this team, and i hope he finds a way to take it off for the next two games. We are getting nothing from TBL and Bruins if we play scared like we have done for few weeks now.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad