GDT: GDT #25 New York Islanders vs Columbus Blue Jackets | December 7th | 7:30 PM | F/W 7-3

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Barzal is operating at a level I haven't seen since Tavares these past few weeks.
He's back baby! It's clear they gave Barzal the green light just to be Barzal. He's not worth 9 million a yr wha whahhhh wahhhhhhhhhh! Imagine if Trotz loosened the reins on Barzal as well. Biggest mistake Trotz ever made as coach. Too many wasted years. Sigh. Never doubt this kid. He's too talented.

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Good 3rd, a few sequences where this team looked like they don't know what they are doing in the D zone. This win probably bought Lane another three months. :facepalm:

That aside, it's refreshing to see Barzal and Horvat lead offensively, and have chemistry.

Missing since Leddy, nice little Leddy Lite hopefully

Agreed, very much like Leddy, with a better shot.

Reactions: NYI365

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This makes absolutely no sense. Imagine we were actually good.
IMG_4208.jpeg

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Well that was satisfying.....

The Good

Barzal and Horvat increase chemistry, and Lee played better but the right guy on this line will be Ishakov at some point

Reilly is not a stud but he fits what we need so badly, he shoots on net, he is fast and thinks offensively.

Gauthier... this is Jason Chimera isn't it? Chimera had some good years so maybe Gauthier will be that 3rd line 15-20 goal scorer and icing negater.

They played like they wanted 10 goals, need to keep the foot on the gas.

San Jose overcame a 4 goal deficit against Detroit, we don't look that bad now LOL

Pageau was more peskier than ever

The Bad

Mayfield - he is becoming more atrocious every game

CBJ is worse than SJ so taking this victory with a grain of salt

What did you drink tonight?
Lee was a plus 4 for the game

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Well that was satisfying.....

The Good

Barzal and Horvat increase chemistry, and Lee played better but the right guy on this line will be Ishakov at some point

Reilly is not a stud but he fits what we need so badly, he shoots on net, he is fast and thinks offensively.

Gauthier... this is Jason Chimera isn't it? Chimera had some good years so maybe Gauthier will be that 3rd line 15-20 goal scorer and icing negater.

They played like they wanted 10 goals, need to keep the foot on the gas.

San Jose overcame a 4 goal deficit against Detroit, we don't look that bad now LOL

Pageau was more peskier than ever

The Bad

Mayfield is clearly hurt, maybe he just needs to sit and get healthy. I appreciate Him trying especially with Pelech out but maybe like I said it’s best he gets himself healthy.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

Alright a MUCH needed win tonight. 3/4 points. Real test comes against the Bruins and Kings. Buckle up boys, I hope you're ready to stop islander killer Quinton Byfield on Saturday

The Bad

Scott Mayfield is just the hockey version of Harry Macguire. He's so god damn bad

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I liked the scoreboard tonight. Didn't like that we were outworked by CBJ for much of the game.

Gotta give credit where credit is due, even though we out-talented the Blue Jackets they did not stop moving their legs until the game was out of reach.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Scotty Mayfield really needs to benched for Aho though. My guy really is the biggest question mark on this defense. Same for Romanov. We need them to rebound.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Anybody know what's going on with Pulock? I didn't notice him on the ice in the latter part of the game.

Nice to see some goals, and some Barzal/Horvat chemistry.

Not to be picky after a win. But, there was one point where we were up 5-3 and were keeping the puck deep in their zone, then Clutterbuck makes a risky pass back to the point and it leaves the zone and they end up having sustained pressure against us and almost scored. That's the kind of moment that can lose you a lead and a game. Fortunately they didn't score and we won, but they've got to clean that kind of thing up. Situational awareness....

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Scotty Mayfield really needs to benched for Aho though. My guy really is the biggest question mark on this defense. Same for Romanov. We need them to rebound.
Romanov played 26 minutes - led the team in TOI. He's playing above his pay grade with Pelech out, so I'll cut him some slack.

Mayfield is running around too much. He needs more structure. But, I'll still take him over Aho.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Romanov played 26 minutes - led the team in TOI. He's playing above his pay grade with Pelech out, so I'll cut him some slack.

Mayfield is running around too much. He needs more structure. But, I'll still take him over Aho.
Bolduc also deserves a bit less slack. I dont see him messing up as much now, and he's shooting.

Reactions: doublechili

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Regarding Barzal. One credit to Lambert is that he took that silly collar off Barzal that Trotz clearly placed on him the previous 4 years. That was always my biggest gripe about Trotz. I remember telling myself back then that Trotz was going to destroy Barzal’s game and mentioned it a few times early on. He had this not so secret weapon on his team and he completely stymied it because it was too outside his system. There were always those rumors but watching Barzal now more true to form I have to believe there was some truth behind those rumors. Barzal’s game is so dominant that’s he’s like a one man army when he utilizes his teammates to win games. The guys a goal feeding machine which often made me think what if Trotz told the team to play behind his structure but had the team wait for Barzal to set them up. What if he just let Barzal be Barzal within his system. Like he was a separate weapon outside Trotz hockey. Instead we got to observe a lot of stupidity. You don’t bottle up a kid this talented. It’s quite clear the difference we see now under his play with Lambert and that under Trotz but we can’t turn back the clock. That might be what we are seeing now and if they just shore up the defense they might be onto something here.

Remember this conversation?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad