GDT: GDT #25 New York Islanders vs Columbus Blue Jackets | December 7th | 7:30 PM | F/W 7-3

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
1701956166839.png

NEW YORK ISLANDERS (10-7-7) VS COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS (8-14-5)

7:30 PM | UBS ARENA | BUY TICKETS

WATCH: MSGSN | MSG+ | ESPN+

LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | 98.7FM

The New York Islanders take on the Columbus Blue Jackets in the second match of a six-game homestand on Thursday night.

The Islanders are coming off a 5-4 OT loss to the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday night at UBS Arena. Julien Gauthier, Brock Nelson (PPG), Mike Reilly (SHG) and Ryan Pulock (PPG) scored to give the Islanders a 4-1 lead in the final eight and a half minutes, but the Sharks rallied to put up four unanswered goals, culminating in William Eklund’s OT winner.

“We need to get back to being aggressive,” Head Coach Lane Lambert said after Wednesday’s practice. “When you give up a few leads, human nature can be to back off a little bit. We need to get away from doing that and get back to being aggressive.

The Blue Jackets are coming off a 4-3 OT loss to the Los Angeles Kings on Tuesday night, handing the Kings their NHL record-tying 10th consecutive road win to start the season. Kirill Marchenko, Johnny Gaudreau and Mathieu Olivier scored for the Blue Jackets to build a 3-0 lead through two periods, but the Kings pulled even in the third with goals from Phillip Danault (2G), Arthur Kaliyev , with Drew Doughty burying the overtime winner.

The Islanders have picked up points in nine of their last 10 games (5-1-4), including two consecutive wins over the Carolina Hurricanes and Carolina Panthers prior to Tuesday’s loss to the Sharks.

“In the last couple of games on the road we found a way to close out those games, we just have to do the same at home,” Noah Dobson said. “We need to continue to build and learn.”

The Islanders lead the season series 1-0 after defeating the Blue Jackets 2-0 in Columbus on Oct. 28. The Isles are 7-0-2 in their last nine games against Columbus, including 4-0-0 at UBS Arena.

1701956190004.png

ISLANDERS NOTES​

- The Islanders blew a three-goal lead for the second time this season with Tuesday's 5-4 OT loss, allowing three goals to the Sharks in the span of 6:35. The Islanders have blown eight multi-goal leads this season and are 3-1-4 in those games.

- Julien Gauthier scored in his second straight game, marking the first time he’d scored in consecutive games in his career. The 26-year-old winger has four points (2G, 2A) in seven games.

-Mike Reilly had a two-point night (SHG, 1A) in his home debut for the Islanders. The veteran defenseman skated 12:22, recording three shots on goal, two blocks and two hits.

“He’s done a great job stepping in,” Dobson said. “He has great offensive instinct, he’s been a puck mover and moves pretty well. He’s fitting in really well and is a great guy off the ice.”

- Bo Horvat has six points (2G, 4A) in his last four games, including two consecutive multi-point games.

- Noah Dobson leads the team in assists (17) and played 25:30 on Tuesday, marking his sixth straight game skating at least 25 minutes.

- Per Islanders team statistician Eric Hornick, the Islanders have been outscored 39-18 in the third period and overtime this season and have been outscored 25-9 over the last fourteen third periods.

- With two power-play goals on Tuesday night, the Islanders own the league’s seventh best power play (25.4%).

- The Islanders penalty kill is a perfect 7-for-7 and 17-for-19 (89.5%) over the last eight contests.

BLUE JACKETS NOTES​

- The Blue Jackets parted ways with winger Eric Robinson on Wednesday, trading him to the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for a seventh-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft. Robinson, 28, played in parts of seven seasons with Columbus and recorded one point (1G) through seven games this season.

- The Blue Jackets placed three players on IR on Wednesday. Adam Boqvist (retroactive to Dec. 5) is expected to miss four weeks with a shoulder strain suffered on Tuesday against the Kings. The defenseman has three assists in 13 games this season for Columbus. Elvis Merzlikins (IR, retroactive to Dec. 5) is expected to be out with an illness for a week. The netminder has six wins through 19 starts this season, with a 3.10 GAA and a .910 SV%.
Cole Sillinger (IR, retroactive to Nov. 26) is considered day-to-day with an upper-body injury.

- The Blue Jackets recalled Emil Bemstrom on Monday in relief of Sillinger. The 24-year-old winger has four points (3G, 1A) through 12 appearances in his fifth season with the team, last drawing into the lineup on Nov. 14 against the Penguins. Bemstrom has 14 points (10G, 4A) through eight games with the Cleveland Monsters.

- In two emergency recall moves, Columbus brought up defenseman Nick Blankenburg and goaltender Jet Greaves from the Monsters.

- Zach Werenski leads the Jackets in points (19) and ranks fifth in the NHL with 18 assists in his eighth season with the team.

- Columbus’ penalty kill ranks fourth in the NHL (87.2%).

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Let me know when Lambert is fired.... Until then I'm paying only Minor attention.
My Reason is, We lost last year to the Canes in a Third Period Collapse and now we have done it 12 times in 25 games or so.
Meaning; "Nothing Has Changed and we have no Shot with this Moron at the Helm to win even if we make the playoffs...."

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Let me know when Lambert is fired.... Until then I'm paying only Minor attention.
My Reason is, We lost last year to the Canes in a Third Period Collapse and now we have done it 12 times in 25 games or so.
Meaning; "Nothing Has Changed and we have no Shot with this Moron at the Helm to win even if we make the playoffs...."

Im going to start placing bets against the isles whenever they have a 3rd period lead. Either I’ll make a ton of money or they will finally stop blowing 3rd period leads.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Imagine if we just held on for a few more seconds against NJ. We’d be on the worst 10 game point streak of all time right now.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Imagine if we just held on for a few more seconds against NJ. We’d be on the worst 10 game point streak of all time right now.
Imagine if we won even half of the overtime games we've blown. Imagine if they just closed out half of those blown games. we'd be 2nd in a Metro where the Canes and Devils are absolute dogwater.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
You can say what ifs about any team though. The good teams find a way to win, the bad teams don't. We're somewhere in the middle.
They CAN be such a good team which is why im just so apathetic. They beat Columbus, oh wow you beat a really battered and bruised team. If they don't, then its even worse.They had to beat the Sharks. You need those points. Islanders losing out on even seven points at this point of the season is going to hurt them so badly. Remember, the Flames had 17 OTL's last season. They win just one or maybe two of those, maybe they're in the playoffs. I really just hope that this sends a message to ownership, because this is the completely wrong way. Isles need to either address the coach, or fix that defense. Its also obvious that their 6v5 play is some of the worst. Score ONE empty net goal.

If they do trade for someone, get Ferraro please. Just please get someone on defense. You can score goals, its the defense that has gotten rapidly worse.

Last edited:

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
We win and Holmstrom scores a SHG. Fasching scores off of a rebound that hit a Columbus defender in the face.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If we score in OT are we safe, or can they still come back and win?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Scariest part to me is that this team is (most likely) at 13-15 wins with a normal 3rd period.

For his recent play, no more Romanov from me. He's been dreadful 6v5

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
"Asked Lambert about the personnel he's playing late in games:"Those are the guys that are put out. Those are the guys that have to get it done. Those are the guys that have gotten the job done before. These things go in cycles & we'll see where we go from here...""

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
These backbreaking blown 3rd period leads constantly clearly drive all of us nuts. The team has to figure out what's going wrong and do better there obviously. Mentally, if it's driving all of us this crazy, I'm sure coaching staff and team isn't happy about it either.

They can't feel sorry for themselves and focus too much on how many games they've blown. This is still a critical homestand and (like we saw with the last road trip) putting a couple of Ws together can help us all forget about the most recent disaster.

Frankly, I'm completely baffled at how this season has gone. If you had told me NYI would have a top 5 powerplay this year, I'd have laughed in your face. If you had told they'd have a top powerplay but still be playing at roughly the same pace as last year, I'd have been really confused.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad