GCT: Neuvirth vs Enroth

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
With only Makarov and Ullmark under contract next season, goalie would be my first priority.

I think you should easily be able to resign neuvy or enroth or several other goalies of their ilk. Don't confuse a priority with not doing a basic errand. A priority is getting a top six center or a top 4 dman. Getting a league average goalie is like getting a rb in football. There's lots of decent ones around and they are not the difference makers in the current game.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Enroth is mad at this thread. He's not going away quietly with a couple of impressive performances since Neuvirth went down.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I feel like they are both great at the same time and both suck at the same time. If they would offset their great games and suck games with each other it would be a two headed monster like no other. I feel like the great play of one motivates the other, but when one sucks the other feels like he has some leeway.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 29m29 minutes ago
Enroth hasn't allowed an even-strength goal in his last 208:35 on the ice, posting a 1.50 GAA, .956 save % in his last 3 games. #WPGvsBUF

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@BuffaloSabres

New pads for @mneuvirth30. #Sabres

B3dhTagCUAAOdy3.jpg:large

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Anyone ever notice how Enroth is either unreal, or terrible?

It seems like you can tell in the first few minutes if he is going to be good or not.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@SabresStats

Jhonas Enroth has an even strength save% of .932 this year, but his save% against the power play is only .778. (.909 overall save%) #Sabres

GerbeSonOfGloin

May 27, 2011
I love that they're both killing it right now. Lock one of them up after this season for cheap. I don't want to see this team in a position where they're tempted to throw $5m+ at some aging goalie UFA.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I warm up to goalies slowly. More specifically mid-level ones. To me, they're both barely average (and no I'm not talking strictly over the past 20 games). So if they sign neither, or one, I couldn't care less. They are placeholders for a more talented goalie to emerge from the prospect pool or in a trade/UFA signing. I know this is unpopular with most. Oh well. Like I said I warm up slowly to most goalies.

Putting my optimist hat on .... One of them develop into something better (with long term consistency, not flash in the pan) than what they currently are. That would be great!

I used to think 2 years ago, Enroth was barely talented enough as an NHL backup. So his play has helped my opinion change. He's developing and improving. Nice to see.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I hate to be repetitive, but again: my hope is that one of the two is dealt at the deadline (whomever piques interest)... With the other being re-signed as the number one.

That said, the tandem has proved to be a good thing. When one gets hot, he plays a handful of games and we are better off because of it. That, in turn, motivates the other to raise his game, winning some starts back for himself - also a good thing for us.

rowf

Jan 25, 2014
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Who's in net in 2015/16?

I think both Neuvirth and Enroth have played pretty well this season, but my gut says 1 won't be back as both UFAs at years end.

Who do you think is coming back, and who should be there fighting for #2, or does GMTM make a move for a prospect?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think both Neuvirth and Enroth have played pretty well this season, but my gut says 1 won't be back as both UFAs at years end.

Who do you think is coming back, and who should be there fighting for #2, or does GMTM make a move for a prospect?

I think Murray makes a trade for a goalie. If not; Enroth comes back. Shorter term deal.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

He's not going to make a move for a prospect, at least not in the most typical sense. If one of the two is gone, which most suspect, then he needs to sign a veteran or a back-up ready to break through (like Bernier, Bishop, etc in past years). We do have a few good goalie prospects and adding another isn't going to replace Enroth or Neuvirth. They need a guy who's already made the NHL.

As to who is coming back, I'd guess Neuvirth because he's played a bit better and he's the guy Murray brought in himself.

Bps21*

I honestly believe both guys get 3 year deals and the battle rages on. Neither is fetching enough in trade to be worth it. Both have earned an extended look to compete. Neither will cost much.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I honestly believe both guys get 3 year deals and the battle rages on. Neither is fetching enough in trade to be worth it. Both have earned an extended look to compete. Neither will cost much.

This is my thinking as well.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I think we go with one on a 2 year deal, and have the backup/tandem spot change year to year until someone grabs the spot and doesn't let go. Both have been decent, but locking both up long term shuts our prospects out, which I'm not a fan of.

ZeroPT*

I had a dream that we traded Enroth for a 1st and Tom Wilson and... Filiip Forsberg

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Craig Custance @CraigCustance · 6h 6 hours ago
He hasn't yet, but Tim Murray nearing point where he'll reach out to agents of both Neuvirth & Enroth to get a feel for contract talks.

Craig Custance @CraigCustance · 6h 6 hours ago
Sabres haven't gotten any trade calls yet on their goalies but Murray keeping that option open as well.

Dave Davis‏@DaveDavisHockey
One other note from the LeBrun interview today -- he does not believe that Murray wants to re-sign both of his goaltenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad