GB: World U18

ficohok*

Croatia 2:0 against Estonia after first period. SOG 33:3 for Croatia.

ficohok*

5:0 for Croatia at the end. 62:22 shots.

Should have been more if not for Estonian goalie.

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
hmmmm I may have underestimated the competition or overestimated the talent on the U18 team. This seemed like one of the better U18 teams I've seen in a while or maybe it's just the one I've been most informed about?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
hmmmm I may have underestimated the competition or overestimated the talent on the U18 team. This seemed like one of the better U18 teams I've seen in a while or maybe it's just the one I've been most informed about?

We certainly have a better team than last year, and the year before that. The 09/10 team was the first team to actually keep us in division 1 which was a lot harder to do in the old format, so I wouldn't say this year is better than that year.

I think you've underestimated the competition, the new A/B format means every game is reasonably competitive and there is another tough team in the group, whereas in the past we were often the #1 seed in our group in Division 2. I really did not expect us to beat Hungary, they haven't been a Division 2 nation at U18 level since 07/08.

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
We certainly have a better team than last year, and the year before that. The 09/10 team was the first team to actually keep us in division 1 which was a lot harder to do in the old format, so I wouldn't say this year is better than that year.

I think you've underestimated the competition, the new A/B format means every game is reasonably competitive and there is another tough team in the group, whereas in the past we were often the #1 seed in our group in Division 2. I really did not expect us to beat Hungary, they haven't been a Division 2 nation at U18 level since 07/08.

Well in fairness when I first saw this thread (if you look at my first post in here) I didn't see Hungary in the group. I guess EP wasn't fully updated when this thread first popped up lol

It's Lithuania, Croatia, Romania, Estonia I figured would be wins. Estonia was a relatively easy win there but Croatia beating them 5-0 confused me. Then all the other games being very close surprised me. I guess there's still 3 games left so I'll have to wait to see after those games if my assumptions were real dumb

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Well in fairness when I first saw this thread (if you look at my first post in here) I didn't see Hungary in the group. I guess EP wasn't fully updated when this thread first popped up lol

It's Lithuania, Croatia, Romania, Estonia I figured would be wins. Estonia was a relatively easy win there but Croatia beating them 5-0 confused me. Then all the other games being very close surprised me. I guess there's still 3 games left so I'll have to wait to see after those games if my assumptions were real dumb

Croatia are a nation on the rise now with Medvescak Zagreb in the EBEL and a team in Austria U20 league. They might be a tough game, but I didn't watch their game against Estonia so maybe they went all out while we saved energy. Lithuania and Romania beat us last year, but we have improved the team, maybe they did too, I don't know.

ficohok*

Croatia are a nation on the rise now with Medvescak Zagreb in the EBEL and a team in Austria U20 league. They might be a tough game, but I didn't watch their game against Estonia so maybe they went all out while we saved energy. Lithuania and Romania beat us last year, but we have improved the team, maybe they did too, I don't know.

I watched the game, but it is hard to say whether we played at 100% or not, simply because we were so much better than Estonians. Of course, I still consider Gbr as favourite in our match last day of tournament. We lack depth, we have two very good lines, but third and fourth are rather young (three players born in 1997.) and have almost no experience in Austrian U20 league. :)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
lololol at that penalty with 40 seconds left... The puck is lose, he swings at it and the goalie covers it - slashing

then GB scores hahahah

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Hook/Cownie/Chamberlain cycle in the last 10 minutes was disgusting lol I missed the rest of the game cuz I slept in and forgot haha

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Wow what a finish! Harry Harley get's a shorthanded breakaway with 22 seconds left, Lithuania came centimetres away from tying it then with a wraparound which was stopped by Adam Goss' toe. The game was very heated at the end

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
disgusting in what way?

Disgusting in the way that they worked the puck around with ease unlike the entire first two games. They still didn't use the points as much as I would like to see but still did great work. I believe they drew a penalty as well on one of the late cycle shows lol If they get stronger on the puck (making harder passes mainly) they'll be a great line in U20's for the next couple years.

Can't get over that Lithuanian throwing his stick and hitting the linesman

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Good to see us putting some wins together. Not too outlandish to suggest we could still go up? Need Hungary to lose obviously.

ficohok*

In hard fought game Hungary won 2:1 against Croatia. Croats tied the game late in 3rd period, but one lucky goal scored by Huns secured victory for them. Hungary had more teritorial possesion, but our defense played well and many of 37 Hungarian shots were not dangeours. Croatia on other side, used all four lines through most of the game and given this fact result is even more suprising due to big qualitative difference between top and bottom two.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Jordan Cownie (8GP 4G 11A 15PTS) is now 4 points shy of tying Ben Davies (10GP 7G 12A 19PTS) for all-time point lead with GB U18. He's also just 1 assist shy of tying Ben Davies for all-time assists lead with GB U18.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I love the way this video was named

:laugh: foreign people speaking English are great. I have a Slovenian friend and she always says stuff that we deliberately take out of context as euphemism or she says stuff which just sounds dirty such as her description of a creme egg "when you get inside I was expecting some cream" :laugh:

The announcer lady in the rink in Estonia has a very lovely accent too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad