Value of: Gaudreau + Giordano at the draft

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
For a 26 year old player, with term, that is top 5-10 in scoring since he entered the league? I think you have a top player in the league confused for Blake Coleman...

I'm referring to a Gio Gaudreau package as the OP would suggest. Where are you getting just Gaudreau from?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Seems like something two separate teams would want. Not sure packaging the two would really add value. You’d get more selling separately

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure why the Flames would trade either of them. But packaging them together makes very little sense.

I would love to land Johnny on the Pens.

I don’t think many Pens fans would agree but I’d do something around Johnny and Guentzel. How are the flames doing in goal, any interest in Murray or Jarry?

I would take Murray or Jarry in a package. Goaltending is still a big question mark in Calgary

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I would take Murray or Jarry in a package. Goaltending is still a big question mark in Calgary
What would the Pens have to add to one of them? The other flames poster said he wasn’t interested in a goalie coming back for JG, which is fair.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What would the Pens have to add to one of them? The other flames poster said he wasn’t interested in a goalie coming back for JG, which is fair.
Guentzel as you proposed.

I wouldn't trade Johnny for a goalie alone but your proposal is fine if you add one of the goalies and the flames add a little something....

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
There was talk about a month before the Trade Deadline that the Jackets and Flames were discussing a Johnny trade(him & Cam having a BC connection). No clue what was going back, but Columbus has a plethora of cap & a desire for scoring

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Guentzel as you proposed.

I wouldn't trade Johnny for a goalie alone but your proposal is fine if you add one of the goalies and the flames add a little something....
Pittsburgh loves Guentzel and he’s a very good, young player. Personally I would trade him for Johnny but not sure if management would.

Maybe if the Pens strike out again this year they could go for a shakeup. And I think Johnny would love to come here since we have a good team and it’s close to home for him.

I would do Guentzel+Jarry for Johnny+ something. Not sure what it would be. Maybe a 2nd rounder?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Gaudreau + Giordano to Buffalo for Cozens, Mittelstadt, Okposo, 2020 1st rd pick

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Gaudreau + Giordano to Buffalo for Cozens, Mittelstadt, Okposo, 2020 1st rd pick
Not a big fan of Middlestadt and I doubt Cozens does enough to make this worth it. This would make sense for someone like Gaudreau on his own if the Flames were completely selling off but for our captain and arguably our best forward this does't make a whole lot of sense.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Not a big fan of Middlestadt and I doubt Cozens does enough to make this worth it. This would make sense for someone like Gaudreau on his own if the Flames were completely selling off but for our captain and arguably our best forward this does't make a whole lot of sense.

If I'm running Buffalo, I wouldn't make the trade as it was proposed, so I already feel like Calgary is getting the better end of the deal

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
With the caveat of never underestimating some dumb GM's..

I think it;s more worrying seeing Gaudreau's playoff history than anything. Knowing he is a small forward who doesn't do much but score, and seems to vanish at the end of seasons and playoffs doesn't spark much hope.

But he has value to some GM's because you need to make the playoffs to win there. At his AAV, a contending team might add him for some secondary scoring knowing he can play a big part of the PP.

Gio on the other hand, is old. Too old to be worth any sort of return. You know at best, you have 2 seasons before he likely retires. No one is giving up the return Flames fans would want for such an old player who has had rough patches all year and can hit a wall at any time.

Gio is a top 20 dman in the league, cone on man, hell be inthe top 40 for his contract minimum, he literally just won the Norris ...

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Why in the world would Flames move Gadreau? Hes having a bit of a down year at 65 points and has 2 more years at $6.75...with upside of 80-90 points.

And you want to move that kind of player?? This makes no sense for Calgary as they'll be selling low on a borderline elite player.

Gio can be moved at trade deadline so long as his performance is intact. Teams will want to see he still has it, but return will be low for him. Dont even know if he gets a 1st due to his cap hit.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
CGY: Johnny Gaudreau
NJD: Kyle Palmieri, Vancouver's 1st, Joey Anderson

PHI: JVR, Nolan Patrick

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
CGY: Mark Giordano
NYR: Lias Andersson, Alexander Georgiev, 2nd

CGY: Mark Giordano
COL: Nikita Zadorov, Martin Kaut, 2nd

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
NJD: Kyle Palmieri, Vancouver's 1st, Joey Anderson

PHI: JVR, Nolan Patrick
That devils deal looks bad for the Flames and would likely be topped by a lot of teams.

The Philly deal would be solid for the Flames but I really doubt the Flyers are interested in trading Patrick. More likely to target Frost+

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I feel like the Flames would regret moving Johnny Hockey. Gio might make sense if they don’t feel they can contend over the next two seasons and want some younger assets from a contended but Gaudreau is in his prime and complements the core well.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I feel like the Flames would regret moving Johnny Hockey. Gio might make sense if they don’t feel they can contend over the next two seasons and want some younger assets from a contended but Gaudreau is in his prime and complements the core well.

If the Flames don't go far in the playoffs (if we even make it or have them), then if I am Brad Treliving I would be asking Johnny if he would consider re-signing in Calgary. If Johnny doesn't give a definitive yes, then I would absolutely be shopping him AT LEAST. I know he makes our team better, but at the same time you have to maximize your assets. The Flames have not been doing that with past players. Lots of teams on the East would line up for Gaudreau. And 2 years of Gaudreau is better than waiting last minute and selling him off for a measly 1st rounder, roster player and a meh prospect with 20 games left to go in 2022. Would give Flames fans nightmares of 2013 when we didn't maximize enough value for Iginla and Bouwmeester.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad