Value of: Gaudreau + Giordano at the draft

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If Calgary was to make some changes this summer, I say get younger while at it and move Gio while he is still elite. I wonder what this combo could get for the Flames and who would take them? Giordano would be a great addition to a contender.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’ll give it a shot

Gio to Florida for Tippett. Panthers go all in on the hopes that Bobrovsky bounces back. Gio would take them to another level IMO. Price might be too high for Florida, but picks or prospects can be added as needed. Or salary fillers.

Gaudreau to Dallas for Hintz and Harley. Stars need the offense and the Flames get two nice young pieces. A steep price so this assumes that Gaudreau plans to sign there longterm.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Both have two years left then UFA. What are the Flames after in return? Doubt any team gives them younger players with more term than 2 years?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gaudreau is going to be a very, very tough player to trade imo. He's pacing for like ~65 points where multiple players look likely to hit 110+ - one of the highest scoring seasons in the past 15 years. That's very worrisome.

At the same time - he just scored 99 points a year ago - and is only 26 - and is the type of player for whom you see that 100+ point potential.

The gap in trade value between the ~65 point guy and the ~100 point guy is huge. Not sure Calgary can sell at the latter valuation, and not sure they should sell too close to the first valuation either. Will be a tough trade.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Gaudreau is going to be a very, very tough player to trade imo. He's pacing for like ~65 points where multiple players look likely to hit 110+ - one of the highest scoring seasons in the past 15 years. That's very worrisome.

At the same time - he just scored 99 points a year ago - and is only 26 - and is the type of player for whom you see that 100+ point potential.

The gap in trade value between the ~65 point guy and the ~100 point guy is huge. Not sure Calgary can sell at the latter valuation, and not sure they should sell too close to the first valuation either. Will be a tough trade.

With the caveat of never underestimating some dumb GM's..

I think it;s more worrying seeing Gaudreau's playoff history than anything. Knowing he is a small forward who doesn't do much but score, and seems to vanish at the end of seasons and playoffs doesn't spark much hope.

But he has value to some GM's because you need to make the playoffs to win there. At his AAV, a contending team might add him for some secondary scoring knowing he can play a big part of the PP.

Gio on the other hand, is old. Too old to be worth any sort of return. You know at best, you have 2 seasons before he likely retires. No one is giving up the return Flames fans would want for such an old player who has had rough patches all year and can hit a wall at any time.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I’ll give it a shot

Gio to Florida for Tippett. Panthers go all in on the hopes that Bobrovsky bounces back. Gio would take them to another level IMO. Price might be too high for Florida, but picks or prospects can be added as needed. Or salary fillers.

Gaudreau to Dallas for Hintz and Harley. Stars need the offense and the Flames get two nice young pieces. A steep price so this assumes that Gaudreau plans to sign there longterm.
Woof!

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I’ll give it a shot

Hahaha....Flames tanking for 2021 lottery?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Not sure why the Flames would trade either of them. But packaging them together makes very little sense.

I would love to land Johnny on the Pens.

I don’t think many Pens fans would agree but I’d do something around Johnny and Guentzel. How are the flames doing in goal, any interest in Murray or Jarry?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Calgary would likely have to be willing to accept picks and prospects as well as eating some cap if they want to trade both.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I’ll give it a shot

I just don't see the Panthers giving up their recent top 10 pick on an ELC for a 7M a year guy that will be 37 when next season starts, no matter how he's playing now. That's just spectacularly bad asset management no matter how you look at it

Reactions: Bruhin

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I just don't see the Panthers giving up their recent top 10 pick on an ELC for a 7M a year guy that will be 37 when next season starts, no matter how he's playing now. That's just spectacularly bad asset management no matter how you look at it

I don't want to give up my magic beans for a number 1 defence by every single metric for the next three years!
On the flip side. Gio is among the last guys Calgary should be moving, with the decreased ice time in the regular season now that we have a competent top 6, he's back to playing at a very high level.

Gaudreau, sure, but the offer has to be right.

Reactions: Nanuuk and YP44

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I don't want to give up my magic beans for a number 1 defence by every single metric for the next three years!
On the flip side. Gio is among the last guys Calgary should be moving, with the decreased ice time in the regular season now that we have a competent top 6, he's back to playing at a very high level.

First off, since its past the TDL they're getting 2 years of use at best. He will be 37 years old.. its not like they need to worry about re-signing him. Its great that he's held up as well as he has this long, but realistically the risk that hes going to slow down/decline is huge. You're also ignoring that ELC contracts have value, especially when they belong to very highly regarded prospects.

No matter how you argue the point, you're going to be hard pressed to find a a scenario where a bubble team with almost zero cap space trades a highly regarded recent top 10 pick on an ELC to pick up a 7M a year 37 year old

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If Calgary was to make some changes this summer, I say get younger while at it and move Gio while he is still elite. I wonder what this combo could get for the Flames and who would take them? Giordano would be a great addition to a contender.
Trading seperate will get more. 64,000 question is your goal to shuffle the chairs up and win now or rebuild and start over. If its start over Rangers have 2 1's Kravsov, Kakko,Miller, Gautheir, Lundkvist (d), and since rumors put Johnny Hockey wanting to go to northeast USA he could stay longer than 2 year deal.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
The Flames roster average age is 26.7. How much younger do they need to get?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015

What is the right kind of offer? A comparable player 1 for 1, or picks and prospects?

Also, is Calgary interested in goalies or are they all set in that department?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What is the right kind of offer? A comparable player 1 for 1, or picks and prospects?

Also, is Calgary interested in goalies or are they all set in that department?

Not really interested in a 1 for 1. No player we get back will be worth what Johnny is just because this forum is lol; also it'd all be lateral moves. Johnny drives our top unit, so we'll likely not get someone back of his ilk. No team would be willing to give us a centre of his caliber in general.

Give us: A recently drafted centre (not your longshots, I don't care about those; someone with some top end potential and high likelihood to hit it), and then picks to even out depending on value.

We don't need firsts. We don't need your B prospects. If you want Johnny, you gotta pony up.
Goaltenders are a pass. They're voodoo, really most of the guys you can pick up in free agency are equal to the ones people will try to trade for. At the end of the day, when stars get traded, they get packages, packages always end up looking like garbage a few years later (exceptions, Lindros, Karlsson, others). The last time we moved out stars, we ended up literally nothing to show for it; this time, give us something that'll hurt.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
John Eichel and Jeff Skinner. Jack is obviously the best player in the deal, but you have to convince Skinner to waive his NMC magically and take his awesome cap hit.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Calgary would likely have to be willing to accept picks and prospects as well as eating some cap if they want to trade both.

For a 26 year old player, with term, that is top 5-10 in scoring since he entered the league? I think you have a top player in the league confused for Blake Coleman...

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

I think Gio would easily return a prospect like Tippett. The guy is still a special player. I do not see the team trading for Gio to be a Florida. I see Gio going to a contender like Tampa or Colorado if he were to be traded. But i would be pretty shocked if Giordano does not retire a Flame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad