Salary Cap: Gary Roberts and the Incredible Shrinking Kessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
He might have a NMC. They'd get some cap relief depending on who replaces him, every little bit helps but really it's about getting Scuderi away from the coaches and getting a better player on the roster.

If he can be buried, I'd bury him this season and buy him out next season. The Pens would never disrespect such a veteran player, though... it's also questionable if they think he as bad as we do. :help:

He's got a roster that fits under the cap and is ready to compete on opening night. I'm sure he would like to cut some fat, specifically Scuderi and Kunitz, but he's not under any extreme pressure to do so. If they aren't moved, they can still be useful to this team in a limited role.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
He has a NMC, no? And even if he doesn't, we woulnd't get cap relief from such a move :(

I was referencing the Italians, rather than the Nailers. Sorry, I forget not everyone is local or remembers old stories that were probably never true in the first place. And yes, shame on me for suggesting such a thing in the first place :(

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
He might have a NMC. They'd get some cap relief depending on who replaces him, every little bit helps but really it's about getting Scuderi away from the coaches and getting a better player on the roster.

If he can be buried, I'd bury him this season and buy him out next season. The Pens would never disrespect such a veteran player, though... it's also questionable if they think he as bad as we do. :help:

With the org's new found focus on analytics, it would seem far-fetched that the organization is somehow unaware of his shortcomings.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
With the org's new found focus on analytics, it would seem far-fetched that the organization is somehow unaware of his shortcomings.

Don't people say that advanced stats will never favour a defensive defenseman? :laugh:

But really, there's always the chance that they ignore that or look at other areas of value. This is the same team that traded Despres for Lovejoy and concluded that Scuderi was babysitting him.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Don't people say that advanced stats will never favour a defensive defenseman? :laugh:

But really, there's always the chance that they ignore that or look at other areas of value. This is the same team that traded Despres for Lovejoy and concluded that Scuderi was babysitting him.

I think the reality is that today's NHL does not favor defensive defensemen :)

And if Gonch is here on a PTO, and the org has said they will sign him if he can still play, then there is zero reason to keep Scuds for his veteran leadership. I would much rather have Gonch @ 800k as a #7 than Scuds in that role or any other.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think the reality is that today's NHL does not favor defensive defensemen :)

And if Gonch is here on a PTO, and the org has said they will sign him if he can still play, then there is zero reason to keep Scuds for his veteran leadership. I would much rather have Gonch @ 800k as a #7 than Scuds in that role or any other.

The thing is that every time I've seen Gonchar for awhile now, he hasn't been able to play. So Gonchar getting signed wouldn't exactly be reassuring on the Scuderi front.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Sounds like Rutherford is planning on both Dumoulin and Pouliot starting the season in the NHL:

Our defense, we'll have three younger defensemen on the back end if you include Maatta who missed most of last season. [Brian] Dumoulin will be in his first full year. I believe he's ready to go. And [Derrick] Pouliot, who's worked really hard this summer and he's more prepared.
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sport...rford-on-injuries-kessel-bennett-etc-09-17-15

Granted, plans sometimes change after training camp, but I figured it was worth posting this given that some people around here have convinced themselves that the team had already decided to send Pouliot down before camp has even begun.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think anyone has convinced themselves of that.

It's simply a more realistic option than many seem to want to admit.

Rutherford doesn't really have much of a say in the matter in any case. I wouldn't think. That's MJ's job.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
I don't think anyone has convinced themselves of that.

It's simply a more realistic option than many seem to want to admit.

Rutherford doesn't really have much of a say in the matter in any case. I wouldn't think. That's MJ's job.

??? Rutherford has all the say. He's the one who controls the rosters.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's certainly news to me.

I would hope the coach is the guy who makes the calls when it comes to who is in his opening night lineup. Obviously he and Rutherford certainly talk and bounce ideas off each other. But I doubt JR imposes himself so much as to tell his head coach that a guy is making the team, regardless of how he looks.

Not that Pouliot, in particular, needs much of a hand up with his old coach as his current coach. Hell... if anything, you'd think that JR would be pushing to hold Pouliot in the AHL as much as possible for a variety of reasons.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Andersen looks like Dumoulin's long lost brother.

Niclas-Andersen.jpg

5659.png

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So, would anybody else have been interested in the kind of trade the Leafs and Isles pulled off today? Substitute Grabner for Kunitz, would the Leafs still have interest? Apparently, the main motivation for this trade was to get rid of contracts in order to eventually sign Glencross, Boyes and/or Setoguchi.

So, would you have accepted Beck, Gibson, Verhaege, Nilsson and Finn for Kunitz?

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
So, would anybody else have been interested in the kind of trade the Leafs and Isles pulled off today? Substitute Grabner for Kunitz, would the Leafs still have interest? Apparently, the main motivation for this trade was to get rid of contracts in order to eventually sign Glencross, Boyes and/or Setoguchi.

So, would you have accepted Beck, Gibson, Verhaege, Nilsson and Finn for Kunitz?

Kunitz is not a cap dump. That return is beyond awful.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, for Kunitz? No, i wouldn't want to fill up the contract quota for a player that still has some value.

Scuds on the other hand, i'd gladly do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad