Post-Game Talk: Garry Galley is still talking

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
There are only 2 things that need to happen for this team to be decent and therefore playoff bound again:

1 - Smith starts, at most, 1 in 4 games. Preferably less.
2 - McDavid and Draisaitl start playing defense again and stop being a net detriment to the team outside of the PP. They're minus 2 and minus 12 respectively, and that is frankly pathetic for 2 guys who are touted as "stars". Look at a table of the top scorers in the NHL, and after the first 2, you have to go down to 20+ to find minus players. And they're well earned minuses.

You are right regarding point #2. They are on for far too many goals against and like you said, many of them are well deserved minuses. In fact those two might be on for the most goals against on the team considering they score so many even strength pts themselves. There feels like a lot of games in the past month or so by the eye test that they (McDrai) are the weakest line (when together) defensively. Just feels like they (McDrai line) allow so many odd man rushes, leave guys wide freaking open in the slot for grade A chances with time and space, make a lot of bad turnovers and the other team looks like they have easy control of offensive zone time (because of lack of urgency and effort on D from the fwds).

A little while ago a Dallas Stars analyst mentioned that the team's early woes were due to the players (especially the star players) not playing the right way defensively. Bishop looked horrible in front of a porous and lackadaisical team defence. They had a chat and got everyone on board (especially the leaders) to play the right way and things started to get a lot better and Bishop magically started looking amazing again. It's so intertwined. It's extremely tough for the goalies and defensmen to look good when the fwds don't give too much of a c*** on the d-side of things.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure I understand the disdain for Gary Galley, but it's probably from the Louie (Vanilla Ice) lovers. I think he's one of the better colour guys out there. Guess if he doesn't say good things about the Oilers add naseum, a bunch of people get all butt hurt.

Didn't see much of the game, but I noticed that late in the game, with the team clinging to the lead, the checkers were on the ice, which I think is a good thing. While they have less chance at making a skilled play to score an empty net goal than the dynamic duo, at least they can be trusted to play sound defensively in their own end first, and not do fly-bys and cherry pick.

Not sure how McDavid and Drai continue to pile up points and also be minus players at the same time. That has to change if we are going to be successful in the future.

Have to play Koskinen on Monday and run with him going forward. If he collapses, well, that's the way it goes, but hopefully, the schedule allows him to get some rest. There are no other options up here.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Interesting package but Kryder is a player that completely breaks down Lucic style once he hits 29-31 and never recovers. Might be ok as a rental but I’m sure some team will pick him up for an overpay and sign him to a horrendous 7x7.
Big difference is that Kreider at least has wheels. Lucic is a plodding plow horse.

Reactions: DerpMorg

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Not sure I understand the disdain for Gary Galley, but it's probably from the Louie (Vanilla Ice) lovers. I think he's one of the better colour guys out there. Guess if he doesn't say good things about the Oilers add naseum, a bunch of people get all butt hurt.

Didn't see much of the game, but I noticed that late in the game, with the team clinging to the lead, the checkers were on the ice, which I think is a good thing. While they have less chance at making a skilled play to score an empty net goal than the dynamic duo, at least they can be trusted to play sound defensively in their own end first, and not do fly-bys and cherry pick.

Not sure how McDavid and Drai continue to pile up points and also be minus players at the same time. That has to change if we are going to be successful in the future.

Have to play Koskinen on Monday and run with him going forward. If he collapses, well, that's the way it goes, but hopefully, the schedule allows him to get some rest. There are no other options up here.

He sounded like a drunk past-his-prime John Madden. Just rambling on about the most simple things.

He spent over a minute describing the defense on Nygard one rush and ended with "you can't move your chest without moving your body".

Reactions: KYams17

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
This can be a playoff team at least if they make two solid forward additions.

Question is whether or not they want to part with some picks/prospects to do it or flush another season down the toilet.

This team is tied for 1st... going into the Christmas break could be 1st.

What is your definition of success bud? Like what result, for you, does not equate to a $h!t season?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
just got home from the in-laws, drunk n gloating....
LOL, they all decided to wear their Habs jerseys....
YA BABY!!!
8KAHO8.gif

Let us know you're okay this morning and you weren't poisoned at some point last night :laugh:. I also would have told my inlaws "How McDavid undressed Price is how I'm gonna undress your daughter when we get home" as a little extra parting shot-lol.

Give the inlaws a little something else to be pissed off about before going to bed. :DD

Reactions: TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

What is your definition of success bud? Like what result, for you, does not equate to a $h!t season?
At this point in time, and based on your average Joe's pre season predictions, I would say this team has way over achieved. That's just harder to appreciate though, given the recent tailspin we've gone into. I'm more than happy where they are, as I really thought they would be in the bottom 3rd and then some. They may get there too, but I'll enjoy this as long as it lasts. If we are still in the fight for the playoffs in a month, that would be a huge step forward for this organization.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Let us know you're okay this morning and you weren't poisoned at some point last night :laugh:. I also would have told my inlaws "How McDavid undressed Price is how I'm gonna undress your daughter when we get home" as a little extra parting shot-lol.

Give the inlaws a little something else to be pissed off about before going to bed. :DD
LOL, when Sheehan scored and I jumped up yelling "YAH!!", you could cut the tension with a knife.
I could feel the eyes burning at my back.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
At this point in time, and based on your average Joe's pre season predictions, I would say this team has way over achieved. That's just harder to appreciate though, given the recent tailspin we've gone into. I'm more than happy where they are, as I really thought they would be in the bottom 3rd and then some. They may get there too, but I'll enjoy this as long as it lasts. If we are still in the fight for the playoffs in a month, that would be a huge step forward for this organization.
More frustrating than all the Oilers failures is when something goes right for once and they screw it all up. Have a crazy good start and waaaaay overachieve? Well let's completely stop playing defense and go on a four game losing streak / lose all these important games in epic lazy fashion.
Go on the first playoff run since 2006? Nono let's not replace the injured dman who was a huge part of the run. Let's just sit here and do nothing and hope for the best next year with no d.

The team looking like it could be turning a corner? Hey let's hire 1 year of post secondary education MacT to receive all the praise. What's that? He fired a good coach over Skype and replaced him with a workout spaz hair model? Perfect.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
He sounded like a drunk past-his-prime John Madden. Just rambling on about the most simple things.

He spent over a minute describing the defense on Nygard one rush and ended with "you can't move your chest without moving your body".

This. And he'd add anecdotes that aren't even true if he's ever watched an Oilers game. Just all around horrible commentary.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Caught the third period. Man Holland is going to be roasted if he pays Nurse anywhere close to 7 mill.

I swear there was so many times in the third he had a chance to get the puck in the neutral zone and backed off. Domi made him look like a tool.

**I like Nrse. Do not want to see him go anywhere. I want him to sign long term. I just hope this team does not shoot themselves in the foot paying him 7+. Bear has struggled these last 2 games as well, but he is a rookie.

Third looked good overall. Missed the first 2. Seemed like the refs were good. Should have called Domi on the empty net interference.

Oilers really wasted their PP's in the third. Loved that 3rd line. Wish everybody had the hustle of Sheahan and Archibald. Thought the Domi goal looked weak and the first MTL goal I seen on the highlites.

Wow your bias is disgusting

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
LOL. Hey , if you are happy with Holland paying him 7+ that is good for you. Whatever makes you happy, You do you.

I don't hate Nurse at all. He just isn't anywhere near that type of dman. No way.

Luckily Holland isn't a braindead dumb **** like Chiarelli. Nurse is starting at hilarious high levels thinking he is the Nathan Mackinnon of D. Holland will work his *** down or flip him for something while his value is high.

Reactions: frag2 and Ninety7

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Making the playoffs is a success, they need to do that. They've been in playoff position for each of the last three years on Christmas Day.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Making the playoffs is a success, they need to do that. They've been in playoff position for each of the last three years on Christmas Day.

It's as if some people ignore the zero depth we have and think we will just stay here. That isn't likely. It's nice to live day by day with a win, but this team will sink unless the bottom 9 players step it up consistently or trades are made.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Nurse is a good but not a great defenseman.
If we were further along I would be open to trading him for the right package. But as of right now it would likely destroy our back end. Bear is a rookie and Lagesson and Jones certain not ready now and probably never for that kind of responsibility.

Now having said that lets have some fun.

Nurse to Toronto (might make them contenders) for Johnsson, Kapanen, and Rasmus Sandin.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's as if some people ignore the zero depth we have and think we will just stay here. That isn't likely. It's nice to live day by day with a win, but this team will sink unless the bottom 9 players step it up consistently or trades are made.

They need two decent forwards. That's basically it. Pay the price.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

I agree. I'm not as familiar with Galley as I am with Remenda and Louie but from what i've heard he's a knowledgeable analyst. Remenda is also very good as far as knowledge. Louie is also good but maybe slightly lags behind the other two.

Steve Lansky is a guy (a producer for hockey and football) who knows a good analyst when he sees/hears one and he thinks highly of Galley. (@bigmouthsports) | Twitter

Ya, it's weird, I'm not sure why all the hate for Galley and Remenda. Maybe people just don't like the way they look? Louie is more likeable because he's a big chiselled guy with good hair? I dunno. As far as knowledge there's no doubt Remenda and Galley are very good most of the times. Maybe their delivery to some fans leaves something to be desired? Hard to say. Maybe people didn't like Galley ragging on Connor and drai earlier in the game for defensive lapses etc? I think it's a good thing when analysts are able to come out and criticize and express what they think is wrong with the team instead of just pouring fans a glass of koolaid and spouting all positives for the Oilers. So ya, you might be right about some fans just being a bit butt hurt.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's it?

For what? To make the playoffs? And at what price?

Yes to make the playoffs. To protect their investment in Connor McDavid.

People act like this "build through the draft" is some holy edict that must be obeyed no matter what.

f*** that.

Lets look at this realistically ... a forward drafted in the 2020 draft is not likely to be an impact player until 2023 or 2024 unless they are a star player taken in the top 10. A defenceman or goalie even longer than that.

We don't have that much time to sit around and wait. They had that luxury 5 years ago and choose to crap it away.

They have been in playoff position for three straight Christmas Days now ... it's time to actually do something to bolster the team and let them experience and learn and grow from playoff hockey instead of doing nothing and hoping for a different result.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad