Rumor: Garrioch: Gonchar to Penguins

Pitlick*

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/12/22...ack-ottawa-senators-defenceman-sergei-gonchar

This rumour actually makes a lot of sense. And Pittsburgh has a surplus of good defense prospects.

Could the Sens somehow get Harrington or Despres, even if they added to the package (and what would they add)?

The one thing we truly lack in prospects is a top-end defensive defenseman. Cowen isn't a prospect anymore. Boro plays hard and with heart, but he looks more like a Lance Pitlick type 4-6 d-man, and is almost too small for the game he plays.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
You get a gold star for a Lance Pitlick reference.

I don't see why the Pens would need another big contract on D with the influx of youth they're ready to recieve at that position.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Definitely see the Pens wanting Gonchar, can't really see the return being a heck of a lot. If the Pens hadn't signed Vokoun, I'd easily drop Bishop in a deal.

I don't see why the Pens would need another big contract on D with the influx of youth they're ready to recieve at that position.

He's a FA after this year, if they can fit him under the cap for this season I don't see why they wouldn't. A team like Pittsburgh hoping for a long run isn't going to want to rely on young, green guys.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
If a season happens, we need him to make the playoffs, and obviously if we are in the hunt, we aren't letting him go. If we are sellers, then Gonchar to highest bidder, the Penguins or not.

General Granny*

Despres if we add something.

More likely a 2nd rounder straight up for Go char.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It should also help the Senators give a ton of ice time to some prospects and could improve our draft position if a season is played

General Granny*

What will the D look like if Gonchar is also out?

Methot- Karlsson
Philips- Benoit
Weircioch- Lundin

?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Deal just doesn;t make sense to me.

1. With Cowen done, we already have some serious questions on the backend and to move a top 4 would be a head scratcher.

2. Gonchar didn't sign in Pitts because Shero wouldn't give him that 3rd year on the contract but now Shero wants him? Huh?

3. Pitts has a lot of guys on the backend capable of stepping in next season, no reason to add Gonchar imo.

General Granny*

Deal just doesn;t make sense to me.

1. With Cowen done, we already have some serious questions on the backend and to move a top 4 would be a head scratcher. ( Shortened season, the brass probably thinks Weircioch or Benoit could fill in Gonchar's spot for 48 games)

2. Gonchar didn't sign in Pitts because Shero wouldn't give him that 3rd year on the contract but now Shero wants him? Huh? ( It was because he had questions about his ability on the 3rd year but hes coming off a 30 point season and putting up points in the KHL, and looks like a shoe in for the olympics)

3. Pitts has a lot of guys on the backend capable of stepping in next season, no reason to add Gonchar imo. (Thats Pitts problem, they don't have a leader and a vet on the backened)

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Pens fan here.

IF this rumor is true, I don't think the Penguins will offer much value for a 38/39 year old D who becomes a free agent next summer.

If Sergei Gonchar wants to return to Pittsburgh, he has the opportunity when his contract expires, the Penguins do have depth on D but they could use a good, veteran team guy who has been a key player here for 5 years. Also help teach/mentor some of the younger D prospects.

Some of you say trade him, some of you say don't because of Cowen.

I don't see the Penguins trading any of their D prospects for Gonchar, even in a package deal.

And if the response to that is "fine, we'll keep him" or "then we trade him to a team who will offer more" then that's fine. Like I said, if Gonchar wanrs to return to the Penguins, if the Sens don't like what the Penguins have to offer, he can do so in the Summer.

Do you guys even expect a season? With these negotiations, I'm surprised they didn't cancel the season yet.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Do you guys even expect a season? With these negotiations, I'm surprised they didn't cancel the season yet.
Do Leafs fan stop talking about the playoffs until they are mathematically eliminated?

Thanks for the input. He was great for us last season and we'll have a hard time replacing his offensive game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad