Rumor: Garrioch: Gonchar to Penguins

John Holmes*

My opinion was primarily based on his brief call up a few seasons ago.

Don't forget he also had that brutal throat injury. That had to affect his play.

It's good to see him come around, however the AHL is not the NHL.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
:rant:

He looked lost last year. I know defencemen take longer to develop, but actually watching him, you could tell there was so much mentally going wrong that it might never click.

PLENTY of better defencemen than Weircioch have failed to pan out. To say anyone who thought he might not make it "were morons" is pretty ignorant, IMO.

I'm glad he's put it together, don't get me wrong, but to say he looked like he was going to become an NHL caliber defenceman last year is a hard, hard sell in my eyes.

Another positive to trading Rundblad for Turris. Gave Wiercioch the push he needed, whether or not it was from his buddy Turris, or management showing faith in him.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
My opinion was primarily based on his brief call up a few seasons ago.

Don't forget he also had that brutal throat injury. That had to affect his play.

It's good to see him come around, however the AHL is not the NHL.

His play was better when he came back, lol. The injury was like a wake-up call. I think his game is actually better suited for the NHL than the AHL. That's why he showed better play when he was called up. Always seemed like that type of player but now he's just dominating the AHL too!

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Well that's what tim murray said ^
he thinks wiercioch will be better in the nhl.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Gonchar has been great for our possession game. But, does anyone feel he is soooo slow to get a shot off? When he receives a puck, by the time he gets a shot prepared, a defender is on him. Karlsson never has this problem.

Well, Gonchar is not in his prime anymore so his release is not as good anymore, still NHL level but not Elite as it was. Reminds me a bit of Kovalev the last year he played in the NHL. He couldn't get his shots off as fast as before and he became relatively easier to defend against... It has a lot to do with age...

I may be in the minority but I have liked Gonchar for his entire time here. Yes, he is overpaid. But if you want to attract free agents to a small market that is going to be the reality. As long as you don't hand out contracts that are downright awful, I don't mind overpaying a little bit to fill a need that cannot be addressed from within. Because he isn't physical I feel he becomes underrated defensively, too, as many mistakenly equate physical play with good defense.

Great post. I have been trying to say this for a while... I also think that Gonchar is good defensively, outside of a few blunders or lazy plays there and there... (no D-man is perfect)

Gonchar is a bit overpaid (should be 4.5 at this stage of his career) but it's better to have him than not... At some point, you need to reach the cap floor and have some experienced quality players (for marketing reasons too). I like guys like Andre Benoit and Brendan Bell but I'd take Gonchar over them even if it costs more...

No actually, Gonchar was brought here to help improve the rookies play and so far he has done exactly that and also played as an excellent stop gap while our team has developed players such as Wiercioch. People had Wiercioch on the bus for the rest of his life last season, funny the turn around now.

Gonchar deserves ton of credit for the development of Erik Karlsson and other young D-men... Erik said it himself (and lol that's why you see a lot of turnover in people's opinion)

^kuba put up 40 pts in 70 games his first year. 30 pts in 50 games his second year. just had one bad yr the yr before last. coincidentally so did everyone else on the team.

just to get that part straight.

Like someone else said, he was forced to play a position he isn't supposed to play most of his time here in Ottawa because the entire defense crumbled down in 2007-08 so Murray and his staff decided to rebuild it (and made their next 1st round draft picks D-men : Karlsson and Cowen)

Kuba still have produced very well in his time here :

2008-09 Ottawa Senators NHL 71 3 37 40
2009-10 Ottawa Senators NHL 53 3 25 28
2010-11 Ottawa Senators NHL 64 2 14 16
2011-12 Ottawa Senators NHL 73 6 26 32

The 2010-11 season was terrible but the team was entirely disorganized until the rebuild. But overall, Kuba's contribution has been perfectly adequate considering the contexts, etc. He has been a good stop gap solution

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad