Rumor: Garrioch: Gonchar to Penguins

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Do you guys even expect a season? With these negotiations, I'm surprised they didn't cancel the season yet.

There are divided opinions on that (as with any fanbase). As for myself, I'm very, very skeptical, and am expecting that there won't be a season.

If there is one, Gonchar to the Pens does make sense, given their need on D, his history there, and the fact that the Pens are in win-now mode, whereas the Sens aren't likely to be contenders for at least a couple more years. As for what a fair deal would be, I would think something like a low first in 2013 or a prospect (ideally a D prospect, but won't open that can of worms in this thread) of comparable value to what would be available in the 20 - 30 range of the 2013 first round.

Mind you, if there is no CBA signed by the draft, there may not be a draft. ;)

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
Hmm, dunno if I would deal him just yet. If there is a season and we are in the bottom of the standings, go for it.

JonnyMacSen

2nd round Chlapik!
Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa, ON
I remember back in the summer there was alot of talk Philly was interested in Gonch, so if he were to be traded I'm sure Pits wouldn't be the only team interested.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I'm fairly certain this entire article was written sorely because Malkin and Gonchar are close and that he is bored and wants to actually write something about, you know, hockey for once.

John Holmes*

Garrihack is suggesting that Gonchar will be a Penguin next year no matter what.

Might as well get something for him.

Plus, Wiercioch has been tearing in up in Bingo. Maybe he's ready for #2PP time.

He looked good in his brief stint a couple of years back. I don't think there is any doubt that he has an NHL future.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
Honestly, I'd trade Gonchar come trade deadline. I don't expect this team to be more than a bubble team (like last year), and adding some more youth couldn't hurt.

Yeah 2nd rounder would be good enough especially with how good this draft is. A 2nd rounder in this draft is probably equivalent to a mid 1st last year.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'm fairly certain this entire article was written sorely because Malkin and Gonchar are close and that he is bored and wants to actually write something about, you know, hockey for once.

and he wanted to get back into the habit of bombing on trade rumours - you know, get back into his routine of things

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
If you look at it objectively im sure Malkin would love to have his best friend in Gonchar back in Pittsburgh especially after playing with him again in Metallurg.

I have no ground to assume the Penguins need Gonchar but im sure Malkin maybe made a mention to Ray Schero.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
We got Gonchar as a FA and he can go as one. All this talk about trading him for some added value is ridiculous. He has served his purpose here and if there is a season he will continue to serve a purpose for young defenders such as Wiercioch, Boro, etc.

I do not see us gaining anything by trading Gonchar. We definitely will not get the prospects some of you are pining about.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah, that's a stretch.

I would rather take guys like Compher, Gauthier, Wennberg, Hartman, Petan, Theodore, Carrier, Kujawinski, and Morin over Wilson, Hertl, Laughton, Vaseleski, Jankowski, Matheson, Schmaltz, Gaunce.

The top 15 of the 2012 draft was really good though.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Pitlick is a funny name...

But in all seriousness, it'd be nice to add something... But I'm fine resigning/letting Gonch go...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yeah, that's a stretch.

Not much of a stretch, IMO.

Mid 2nd rounder this year = late 1st last year, easy. There's definitely an argument out there to make a case for "Mid 2nd this year = mid 1st last year."

Caveat: I thought the 2012 draft class was the weakest of the past 15 years.

Sensbrah

Apr 24, 2012
I'd hang onto Gonchar rather than trade him for what little other teams would offer. His value to us is greater than whatever one would give for a player of his age approaching free agency.

You need some vets on the ice for reasons of stability, leadership, etc. And getting slaughtered every night is hardly an environmental conducive to morale and learning. An entire defensive corps of young-20-somethings plus Philips isn't something I'd like to see. Rebuilding or not you always need a balance.

Dude still has plenty left in the tank. Gonchar was for my money our best defenseman in the playoffs this past season. Plus his shot from the point is invaluable. The PP was always at its best when he and Karlsson were paired together... I don't know why McLean didn't stick with it when it consistently generated offense against the Rangers. Gonchar's presence not only gives us a credible left handed shot from the point (something we lack) but also prevents teams from being able to shut down our entire point threat by keying on Karlsson.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Gonchar has been great for our possession game. But, does anyone feel he is soooo slow to get a shot off? When he receives a puck, by the time he gets a shot prepared, a defender is on him. Karlsson never has this problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad