Garrett Sparks

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
The only difference between Sabres and Leafs today is that Leafs have Freddy. Add to that future isn't bright, because Sabres with Norris Dahlin will dominate Leafs for years to come.

Sparky Sparks isn't even a after though he's a joke and the biggest single mistake made by Kyle "Dubler" Dubas.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
The only difference between Sabres and Leafs today is that Leafs have Freddy. Add to that future isn't bright, because Sabres with Norris Dahlin will dominate Leafs for years to come.

Sparky Sparks isn't even a after though he's a joke and the biggest single mistake made by Kyle "Dubler" Dubas.

If your single biggest mistake is choosing the wrong backup, you're doing pretty good imo.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
No doubt, tonight was WAY more than Sparks' fault.

However, every goal comes off a defensive mistake. You can find excuses for almost any goal if you try hard enough.

First of all, the 3rd goal was horrible. Bad coverage? Sure. But he got schooled plain and simple. Didn't even go for the poke check yet left his five-hole wide open.

4th goal should never have happened. Pay attention to the entire play. Two seconds before, Ladd passed (not shot) it straight at Sparks and he lamely taps it back into the crowd. This puts Marincin in an awkward position and of course, panic ensues and next thing you know it's in the net. The game was finished right there.

The other goals were legitimately not his fault. Complete defensive breakdowns. Freddy may have saved 1-2 of them but he's on a different level skill-wise.

6/14 games, he's given up 4+ goals. There are technical issues in his goaltending which make him prone to being hot or cold in such an extreme manner.

Reactions: Kurtz

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
No doubt, tonight was WAY more than Sparks' fault.

However, every goal comes off a defensive mistake. You can find excuses for almost any goal if you try hard enough.

First of all, the 3rd goal was horrible. Bad coverage? Sure. But he got schooled plain and simple. Didn't even go for the poke check yet left his five-hole wide open.

4th goal should never have happened. Pay attention to the entire play. Two seconds before, Ladd passed (not shot) it straight at Sparks and he lamely taps it back into the crowd. This puts Marincin in an awkward position and of course, panic ensues and next thing you know it's in the net. The game was finished right there.

The other goals were legitimately not his fault. Complete defensive breakdowns. Freddy may have saved 1-2 of them but he's on a different level skill-wise.

6/14 games, he's given up 4+ goals. There are technical issues in his goaltending which make him prone to being hot or cold in such an extreme manner.

Some of those games have been the Leafs' worst defensive efforts though, and almost all of them are on the second-half of back-to-backs. The Leafs already play tired and disinterested more often than anyone should accept on normal nights. It's even worse on back-to-backs.

Chicago game, terrible defense on both sides.
Both NYI games, terrible effort from the entire team, but once again terrible defense.
Boston game, another poor effort.

Really the DET games are the ones where you could say he could have done a bit better. He gives up some regrettable goals this year and does not look nearly as pretty as Andersen does in net, but he's also not given the same level of defensive performance that Andersen often gets. Unless Andersen got exceptionally lucky, we still lose this game by at least 2 or 3 goals.

I am still happy with the choice to stick with Sparks. He had the most potential by far, and he's going to be cheap for at least the next couple of years. His consistency should come with time and training over the summer and beyond. The good news is that we won't have to pay very much to keep him either. He's not going to get anything better than the Stalock deal (3 years, 785k AAV). We will probably get him for like 3 years/2.4 mill or 2 years/1.5 mill. or something along those lines.

Reactions: Cams

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The only one I kind of wish he stopped was number 3. Never should have happened in the first place, and Andersen has given those up too, but he could have saved that one.

The rest were not his fault, and he could not really have done much to play them better. Also goal 5 was a tip by Matthews into his own net. Sparks had no chance.

Reactions: illusory

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
3.09 GAA 902 save% that's not an NHL caliber goalie that's barely an AHL caliber goalie
That's a step below average for this season. His Goals Saved Against Average, which basically is sv% with quality taken into account, is -1.81. That is, an average goaltender would have made 1-2 saves more. That number is 47th of 89 goaltenders this season. He is 53rd of 89 goaltenders in sv%.

Basically, he's putting up normal backup numbers in an abnormal year.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Sparks now 7-5 , 3.09 GAA with a .902 save percentage.

McBackup an eye popping 16-7, 2.25 GAA and a .923 save percentage

Cold and hard.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
3B9C0664-81CF-45FB-BB34-42242DCE974B.jpeg
That's a step below average for this season. His Goals Saved Against Average, which basically is sv% with quality taken into account, is -1.81. That is, an average goaltender would have made 1-2 saves more. That number is 47th of 89 goaltenders this season. He is 53rd of 89 goaltenders in sv%.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I just think he's unorthodox. Every save he looks like he's fighting the puck, and then loses track of it. Maybe it's because of how he's being used to sparingly but good god he looks mesmerized in the crease. I understand the asset management and of course you keep the 25 year old AHL goalie of the year over a 35 year old career backup but based purely on position McBackup was the far better option.
Hopefully Sparks can get in some more games here down the stretch and get comfortable, because if he has to be relied on in the playoffs it's over. He doesn't look comfortable, and neither does the team in front of him.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
You can say it's only a save here and there. That's fine. Also the difference between an NHL goalie and one that can't cut it.

This guy gives up a stinker every single game, that doesn't work in the league. Every goalie makes great saves, every goalie stops the vast majority of shots, the difference between great and awful is a fine line, so trying to excuse this and that, isn't minor in nature, it's really the bottomline.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This potential argument too, to what, become McBackup? Oddest thing I read, unless you're actually telling me he has the potential to replace Andersen, who isn't exactly an old man. I find that an absurd argument, because the facts don't see any "potential" other than what we already had, except younger I suppose. Stick with youth, potential is a non starter ;)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
McBackup was much better than Sparks. Hutchinson is much better than Sparks. Does Dubas have an agenda or does is he really that clueless when it comes to the goaltending position ( among many other things)? I think it’s a bit of both.

Sparks has no business playing in this league, just like Dubas has no business being a GM in this league. It’s a trickle down effect.
Hutchinson is definitely not better, and Dubas is the one who got him anyway. a guy with a .902 sv% in the AHL is not the answer if you have such a problem with a guy with a .902 sv% in the NHL

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

A 3.09 is not "a step below average." no matte how much you want to lie and say it is and even if it was "a step below average" that's still not good enough because it's still below average.

A 902 save% is not "a step below average" no matter how much you want to lie and say it is, but again even if that were true, and it's no, it's still not good enough because it's still below average .

Garett Sparks is not good enough it is that simple.

Reactions: DarkKnight

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I don't blame Sparks. I blame our rookie GM and his scouts who seemingly don't have the hockey sense many HFBoards posters do. Kept the wrong guy after the right guy proved himself by having an outstanding year in the bigs last year.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I don't blame Sparks. I blame our rookie GM and his scouts who seemingly don't have the hockey sense many HFBoards posters do. Kept the wrong guy after the right guy proved himself by having an outstanding year in the bigs last year.

I'm curious how many HFBoards posters submitted their shining resumes for NHL GM jobs and actually got a call for an interview. Come on now.....

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
A 3.09 is not "a step below average." no matte how much you want to lie and say it is and even if it was "a step below average" that's still not good enough because it's still below average.

A 902 save% is not "a step below average" no matter how much you want to lie and say it is, but again even if that were true, and it's no, it's still not good enough because it's still below average .

Garett Sparks is not good enough it is that simple.
Don't care about team stats like GAA. The average save% this season is like .906 or something like that, so .902 is definitely a step below average. As can be seen in the rankings I referenced.

It's rich that you accuse me of lying. I'm saying his numbers are mid-pack, you are claiming they are "barely AHL caliber." He is around 50th among the 89 goaltenders who have played this year. I think you'll be hard pressed finding many who think your description is better.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Sparks now 7-5 , 3.09 GAA with a .902 save percentage.

McBackup an eye popping 16-7, 2.25 GAA and a .923 save percentage

Cold and hard.
Carolina gives up the fewest shots in the league.. Any half decent goalie SHOULD do well on that team. This team is a tire fire in their own end.

You couldn't ever expect a 35 year old goaltender coming off a career year to repeat those kinds of numbers he put up last year either. Tim Thomas is pretty much the only guy that got better in his mid-late 30's. We made the right choice, Take the younger guy, see what he can do.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Carolina gives up the fewest shots in the league.. Any half decent goalie SHOULD do well on that team. This team is a tire fire in their own end.

You couldn't ever expect a 35 year old goaltender coming off a career year to repeat those kinds of numbers he put up last year either. Tim Thomas is pretty much the only guy that got better in his mid-late 30's. We made the right choice, Take the younger guy, see what he can do.
I'll stick with my prediction McBackup will be in this league longer than Sparks. Feel free to save this post.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Replacing Mac wasn't necessarily the wrong choice, but going with Sparks was and the numbers clearly back that up

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
You are telling me that this guy is the best option available as a backup goalie?

You can probably find a handful of goalies in Europe that are better than him

I've never seen a goalie so out of position on every shot. He makes James Reimer look like vezna candidate.

This issue needs to be addressed more than our defenseman. I can't be the only one fed up watching this guy play. Literally left a bad taste in my mouth watching him **** the bed tonight

And please, don't go posting his stats about how he has x wins etc etc. He's been going downhill for the last 4 games now. There's not one aspect to his game that's good, he's abysmal
Is there anyway we could get Reimer back? He was better than most fans gave him credit, I'd love to have him backing up Andersen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad