Garret Sparks

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Garret Sparks is an American professional ice hockey goaltender currently playing for the Toronto Marlies of the AHL, whilst under contract to the Toronto Maple Leafs of the NHL

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I still think he sucks, but he has done great things with the Marlies. So who knows? After game six, Frederick Andersen was GOD. After game seven, he suddenly sucked arse.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I hope he finally gets a chance in the NHL behind what is now a great team.

He's earned it, and I'd love to go with Andy, Sparks and Pickard next season.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Sparks made some improvements this year but I'm still seeing a drew macintyre goalie and not an NHL goalie
I get that his style isn't beautiful and relaxed like freddy, but he keeps making saves so he must be doing something right. His athleticism and reflexes have made him the best goalie in the ahl, and that does bode well going forward imo

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I get that his style isn't beautiful and relaxed like freddy, but he keeps making saves so he must be doing something right. His athleticism and reflexes have made him the best goalie in the ahl, and that does bode well going forward imo
Yes but I see that as the issue with him. In the NHL he wasn't quick enough getting into postition to make the stop and at the NHL level that made him porous.
In the ahl he's lights out amazing and I do hope he can make the jump but I would have to get a look at him in a few games in a real NHL game before I change my mind.

Reactions: iSophagus

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yes but I see that as the issue with him. In the NHL he wasn't quick enough getting into postition to make the stop and at the NHL level that made him porous.
In the ahl he's lights out amazing and I do hope he can make the jump but I would have to get a look at him in a few games in a real NHL game before I change my mind.
I'm fine with this. There's no reason to write him off or anything, but he still has a bit to prove before we consider him an NHL goalie

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
having a pretty historic ahl season, i was surprised the leafs didnt manage to even give him 1 game this year

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I don't think he is composed enough to be a successful NHL goalie. I hope we sell high. Pickard on the other hand has played 2 NHL seasons as a backup and 1 as a low-end starter on the worst team.

Reactions: iSophagus

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Is Sparks the future goaltender of the Maple Leafs? Or just a backup to Andersen for now?

So what the question is really asking is: How much longer will Freddie Andersen be the starting goalie for Toronto?

The answer should be, at least until the end of his contract. And it should include a description that presents Andersen as a very capable starter who hasn't done anything to warrant speculation about his premature departure.

What I would like to see is Mac moved for a pick, bring Sparks or Pickard and if they prove useful, ship one of them out for a more pressing asset and keep the other as a back-up until we can repeat the process. That's my practical approach under the presumption that there won't be any large shifts in our goaltending in the next year.

My ideal (still tempered) scenario sees Mac moved for a pick, one of Sparks/Pickard moved for a pick or prospect and the Leafs sign Carter Hutton as our back-up. And this is after we've somehow obtained the rights (drafted?) to Veini Vehvilainen.

Reactions: Loosie

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Is Sparks the future goaltender of the Maple Leafs? Or just a backup to Andersen for now?

Best goalie in the Ahl. Thats all i know. He deserves a fair shot at taking the Nhl backup job i believe.

He has improved technique and is a more quiet style positionally. He is very quick and has a better than average glove hand.

He's not taking Andersen's job!

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
It's hard to say at this point. But his AHL stat lines are pretty good.

Regular season : 121 games played, 80-28-5 record, with a 2.12 GAA and .927 save %.
Playoffs: 16 games played, 9-5 record, 2.31 GAA and .916 save %.

Hard to believe this was the 6th season in which he has played a game for the Marlies, and he's only 24 years old. Let's hope he can continue to build until he gets a legitimate shot in the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad