Garret Sparks

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
Depends if Shanny will release him from FB jail, Kinda got his wrist slapped for making stupid comments on line. Lou wouldn't have it, lucky to still be in the organization. He has proven he is a top goalie in the AHL, but huge step to have the same results in the biggies, pucks come at you a bit faster with accuracy. Rooting for him though, after his shutout start with the leafs.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Posting a .936 in the AHL is impressive. If he continues to develop, he could be a solid NHLer. I think he's earned the chance to attempt to take over the backup role and from there we will see. From what I've seen, he can make some pretty spectacular saves but he also is prone to letting in the odd weak goal. If he can become a consistent pro, there's no reason he could develop into a starter.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Age 23-24

NHL

Andersen: 23gms, .923sv% (Plyffs: 7gms, .899sv%)
Sparks: 0gms

AHL

Andersen: 51gms, .930s%
Sparks: 74gms, .931sv% (Plyffs: 10gms, .917sv%)

Reactions: Menzinger

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Age 23-24

NHL

Andersen: 23gms, .923sv% (Plyffs: 7gms, .899sv%)
Sparks: 0gms

AHL

Andersen: 51gms, .930s%
Sparks: 74gms, .931sv% (Plyffs: 10gms, .917sv%)
Norfolk Admirals went 27-19-1 with Freddy in their net.

Marlies went 58-20-1 with Sparks in net these past 2 years.

You could argue Sparks' numbers are inflated here from having a better team in front of him. Also development isn't linear and it's an unknown if Sparks will be able to do what Andersen has in the NHL, which are the more important numbers.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think he is good enough to start 30 games a year for us. Maybe 35 to really keep the load down on the starter. However we can't blame him for being terrible when the defense in front of him for his first NHL shot was AHL quality. We also can't expect our goalies to be Andersen and put up a Vezina quality season behind a leaky defense being hung out to dry every night and having to make key reads and saves.

Improve the defense and he is a great backup. Who knows maybe he can even push Andersen a bit when he struggles. Babs seems to be reluctant to do that, and Andersen seems to be the kind of guy to push back to that, but Babs needs to be the boss and give Freddy some competition. When he craps the bed in key moments again, Sparks needs to be ready to go.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Would expect that if Dubas does indeed get the GM position he may be more inclined to give Sparks his chance to shine next season due to his closer connection to the Marlies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not expecting anything more than a backup from any of the possibilities (McElhinney, Sparks, Pickard) as Andersen hasn't played himself out of the starter's role, and the others haven't played themselves into that big of a jump. Any competition for a spot with the Leafs is between the three goalies that aren't Andersen.

Reactions: iSophagus

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Sparks could not be faulted for failure if this team comes back next year and continues to allow the most shots onnthe entire league.

Andersen just had a fantastic year inspite of his defense in front of him.

The management must be lookingvat the teams inability to suppress shots innacserious manner.

It is worrisome to say the least. I believe it will get better with certain players leaving (good riddance) to defensively weak links too.

The young guys coming in with good motors will help that if they work hard.

It is yet to be sern but a legitimate concern for management.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He was used to Tank at the NHL level and I do admit I have seen a limited amount of AHL games but his skill set was not anywhere near a NHL goalie when he played. Horrible save selection poor rebound control and did not track the puck well at all.

My hopes for him was that he was an AHL goalie. I would be shocked if he is better than a backup but hope that he becomes a super star.

Reactions: JustAShadow

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Would expect that if Dubas does indeed get the GM position he may be more inclined to give Sparks his chance to shine next season due to his closer connection to the Marlies.
Lets hope not.

Reactions: saltming

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He was used to Tank at the NHL level and I do admit I have seen a limited amount of AHL games but his skill set was not anywhere near a NHL goalie when he played. Horrible save selection poor rebound control and did not track the puck well at all.

My hopes for him was that he was an AHL goalie. I would be shocked if he is better than a backup but hope that he becomes a super star.
Unlikely he will be starter, but as a backup, he should be alright

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I was surprised when I checked the ages of Sparks, 24, and Pickard, 26. I thought for sure that Pickard was younger than Sparks and it feels like Sparks has been around forever.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I was surprised when I checked the ages of Sparks, 24, and Pickard, 26. I thought for sure that Pickard was younger than Sparks and it feels like Sparks has been around forever.

I've been rooting for him since he was drafted just because I thought he was funny on Twitter. It's like watching your kid grow up. I think.

Reactions: Mugzy97

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You would think the Leafs would love to have Sparks make the Leafs in October. Curtis get waived and plays for the Marlies.
Either way your "backup" has to NHL good. He still plays about quarter of the games, and if there is an injury to the # 1 goalie, now your backup is the # 1.
I don't know why anyone would think he isn't worth a good look at the NHL. He seems deserving. Now he has to produce or else he just falls into the large group of good AHL goalies who never make it in the NHL.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
All your posts are goalie related. Just curious why are you so interested in goalies?
I think it all depends on what has happened in the NHL so far. With all of the free agents, trades, and prospects, goalies seem to make a big difference on any team. On an extra note, it's easier and slightly more interesting to talk about goalies than other players, IMO.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
He can really solidify his spot next year by leading the Marlies to the promise land on his back. The Leafs have 4 capable back-ups, if no one is moved they could lose 2 of them to waivers next season.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Making trash in the NHL? Take a look at what many of the Marlies are earning. Huge bucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad