Confirmed with Link: Garret Sparks Suspended Indefinitely For Violating Team Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Its not a issue with me bud. I would rather be knowing who the wonderful person was that makes fun of tge disabled. Thats tge issue. I would like to take them out to center ice too. Sometimes its better to ask forgiveness than permission right!
And you're just another face in the crowd relative to Garret Sparks. You don't represent a billion-dollar-plus organization and aren't expected to be a decent person and role model on a day-to-day basis. You can literally do whatever you want and it isn't an issue until the people above you think it is, whether they be your bosses or law enforcement.

I don't mean that as a slight to you.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
lol Joel Embiid says comparable things on a daily basis and gets praised.. who cares. "You better smash" to Chandler Parsons when a girl wanted him to check his DM.

Its a big deal cause you guys allow every article written to be one :laugh:

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
And you're just another face in the crowd relative to Garret Sparks. You don't represent a billion-dollar-plus organization and aren't expected to be a decent person and role model on a day-to-day basis. You can literally do whatever you want and it isn't an issue until the people above you think it is, whether they be your bosses or law enforcement.

Yeah, but people also complain about players giving bland robotic answers instead of answering like people. Here's a professional athlete acting like a regular person and he's being pilloried for it? Especially when he's standing up to a bully? I wish there were more guys like Sparks willing to take a foul-mouthed loser to centre ice for some re-education, it might go a long way to make the internet a better behaved place.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Yeah, but people also complain about players giving bland robotic answers instead of answering like people. Here's a professional athlete acting like a regular person and he's being pilloried for it? Especially when he's standing up to a bully? I wish there were more guys like Sparks willing to take a foul-mouthed loser to centre ice for some re-education, it might go a long way to make the internet a better behaved place.
That isn't really relevant though, and it certainly isn't the either to this or in an either/or scenario. There are other ways to appear human in the game than threatening to beat some one up. Do we love Marner? Hell yeah. Does Marner come across as a robot? No. It's not because he's threatening people online either, it's because he genuinely looks like he's enjoying himself while playing. He's skipping, he's singing, he's twirling, he's gushing with emotion and passion.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: especially as an admin Sparks mishandled the situation. Delete anything referencing the topic and ban the guy who's spouting off. That's literally all he had to do and it wouldn't be an issue. But instead he didn't think straight and acted like an idiot.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs had to suspend him in order to get Glass in net. Not so much a suspension as a "cooling off period or training on Facebook" session for Sparks.

Any other position forward or defence, they just would've dressed him, but had to go the suspension route to get 3 goalies on the roster.

Why do pro athletes (or anyone) give their real names on public blogs?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Yeah basically the way he has to roll. Its unfortunate he lost it in that scenario. Sometimes the truth needs to be told lol. Thus, honesty is not always the best policy.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Sparks' intent was admirable, his delivery was not well thought out. If he received no repercussions for his comment, I wouldn't mind. I also don't mind that he did (and hopefully it won't be a long serving suspension). You don't need to stoop to that level to get your point across. Yes, he's human and he made a mistake when he chose to express himself in a way that violates company policy - after all, he is a representative of MLSE on and off the ice. It's not a huge deal.

I'm curious if it was the idiot that was making fun of a disabled person that reported Sparks' comments...wouldn't that have some irony. People find it far too easy to toss their humanity out of the window and feel far too comfortable behind a keyboard to say whatever they want to and about people. I don't mind when people take them down a notch and make them look like the idiots they are. I hope Sparks sees this as an opportunity to be thoughtful in how he addresses stupid comments instead of not bothering to speak up at all when he sees something wrong happening.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
the sad part is that the comment he's been suspended for isn't threatening to beat somebody to a bloody pulp, it's the comparison to a 13 year old little girl that crossed the PC line.

what happened in the US with Trump will visit Canada - liberty includes the liberty to be offensive, to make a fool of oneself. Sparks deserved nothing more than a reminder from management that he is a public figure representing the hockey team and that carries extra responsibility in how you conduct yourself in public.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Or he could've made his point without threatening someone and making casual sexist remarks, while being the admin of a public Facebook group and a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Yup, seems simple to me. Plenty of ways to defend someone using words that dont result in ridiculous threats both parties know wont be carried out.

Is there anything more cringey than the internet tough guy? Seems pretty lame to get yourself suspended just so your facebook group knows how overly masculine you are.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Yup, seems simple to me. Plenty of ways to defend someone using words that dont result in ridiculous threats both parties know wont be carried out.

Is there anything more cringey than the internet tough guy? Seems pretty lame to get yourself suspended just so your facebook group knows how overly masculine you are.

Except he's a 6'3", 215lb professional athlete. If that other guy actually showed up to centre ice, I'm sure it would have gone down exactly as Sparks described it. We've all moments where internet stupidity causes us to lash out, if anything I respect Sparks more for reacting in a completely human fashion, instead of a brand.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Got to be smarter on social media (well, that applies to everyone) but when you're a public figure especially one directly tied to a major corporation need to realize you're held to a higher standard than the average person.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Except he's a 6'3", 215lb professional athlete. If that other guy actually showed up to centre ice, I'm sure it would have gone down exactly as Sparks described it. We've all moments where internet stupidity causes us to lash out, if anything I respect Sparks more for reacting in a completely human fashion, instead of a brand.

I havent seen the comments that started it but it was likely some bored teenager trolling for a reaction (which he got).

I would hope Sparks would realize ragdolling some kid would solve nothing and effectively end his career.

I think we have different definitions of being human if yours is to "beat someone to a pulp" whenever someone says something you disagree with. I lost a little respect for Sparks with this, i think Leafs management would fall on that end of the spectrum also.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Anyone else think it wasn't so much what he said, but the fact that he said it at all?

Sparks is supposed to be a professional. Professionals don't go online and yell at trolls. No organization where Lou Lamoriello holds power is going to put up with that kind of thing.

In the words of Al Swearengen, "Act civilized, even if you ain't."

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
Got to be smarter on social media (well, that applies to everyone) but when you're a public figure especially one directly tied to a major corporation need to realize you're held to a higher standard than the average person.

I don't think what the leafs did is justified at all. Imagine if you had an argument on facebook with someone, would it be fair if your for your boss to stop paying you indefinately for that action. It has nothing to do with the work nor is it breaking any laws so why is he being punished so severely.

They can talk to him and give him some guidance for sure, but suspending It is a dirty move by the leafs and they should be ashamed of it.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I find this funny...when Kadri made a throat slash gesture many on here wanted his head....

Sparks acts like a idiot and people are defending him? You have to wonder why.

Sparks deserves everything he gets.....team policy and NHL policy was violated. There is a morality clause in every contract.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don't think what the leafs did is justified at all. Imagine if you had an argument on facebook with someone, would it be fair if your for your boss to stop paying you indefinately for that action. It has nothing to do with the work nor is it breaking any laws so why is he being punished so severely.

They can talk to him and give him some guidance for sure, but suspending It is a dirty move by the leafs and they should be ashamed of it.

He is under contract and signed a contract that includes a morality clause which includes the Leafs policy on professional conduct. Many people in the world have contracts with their employers that includes such a policy....

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
Given the circumstances I think it was completely overboard and unwarranted. We should start a Free Garret Sparks petition.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I find this funny...when Kadri made a throat slash gesture many on here wanted his head....

Sparks acts like a idiot and people are defending him? You have to wonder why.

Sparks deserves everything he gets.....team policy and NHL policy was violated. There is a morality clause in every contract.

I agree. If you represent the Toronto Maple Leafs organization, you have to be better than threatening a troll on the internet.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Ultimately everything comes down to intent. Courts often need to prove intent in order to convict. For example: a guy is shopping at a department store. He picks up an item from the shelf to look at it and decide whether or not he wants to buy it. His cell phone in his pocket rings. He puts his hand in his pocket to answer it, then becomes distracted because he just remembered that he's expecting an important call from his employer, and it flusters him. As he puts his hand in his pocket, he grabs his phone and at the same time leaves the item from the shelf in his pocket. He talks for 10 minutes, then hangs up. He puts his cell phone back in his other pocket, and didn't even realise he put that item in his original pocket where the phone was when it rang. He leaves the store, item in pocket, and the alarms go off and he's stopped, and eventually charged by police. He pleads his honest case. Would the courts need to prove intent here, that he intended to steal? Or would he still be convicted for a totally innocent mistake?

Either way, Sparks committed an innocent error and had no true intent to harm anyone.

The team will likely realise this and make this a quick one.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He's not an average person - he's a public figure and one of the faces of an organization, and with that comes a differ t set of standards.

Personally , I don't post anything on Facebook or my Twitter that I wouldn't say in person. Right or wrong you CAN be let go for things you do on social media.

Last edited:

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
He is under contract and signed a contract that includes a morality clause which includes the Leafs policy on professional conduct. Many people in the world have contracts with their employers that includes such a policy....

And what standard of moral codes are we following a here or do the leafs organization just makes those up as they go along. Like i said it's fine if they send a statement or make him apologize etc but taking a guy's job away indefinately for an online argument is utterly BS and holds no ground.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Ultimately everything comes down to intent. Courts often need to prove intent in order to convict. For example: a guy is shopping at a department store. He picks up an item from the shelf to look at it and decide whether or not he wants to buy it. His cell phone in his pocket rings. He puts his hand in his pocket to answer it, then becomes distracted because he just remembered that he's expecting an important call from his employer, and it flusters him. As he puts his hand in his pocket, he grabs his phone and at the same time leaves the item from the shelf in his pocket. He talks for 10 minutes, then hangs up. He puts his cell phone back in his other pocket, and didn't even realise he put that item in his original pocket where the phone was when it rang. He leaves the store, item in pocket, and the alarms go off and he's stopped, and eventually charged by police. He pleads his honest case. Would the courts need to prove intent here, that he intended to steal? Or would he still be convicted for a totally innocent mistake?

Either way, Sparks committed an innocent error and had no true intent to harm anyone.

The team will likely realise this and make this a quick one.

there are some cases where the action is enough, regardless of intent. For example, if I leave a gun in a room with a two year old, I'm going to be liable if he ends up shooting himself even if I didn't mean for that to happen. It's called negligence.

It doesn't matter if Sparks meant to embarrass the organization or not from the Leafs standpoint. It's bad enough that it's what he did, and he should have known better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad