Confirmed with Link: Garret Sparks Suspended Indefinitely For Violating Team Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Brills*

I think Sparks deserved a punishment of some kind but I feel like he's served it.

I don't think management wants to discourage the players from taking strong stances against social injustice. He just went about it in the wrong way.

Bingo.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I think Sparks deserved a punishment of some kind but I feel like he's served it.

I don't think management wants to discourage the players from taking strong stances against social injustice. He just went about it in the wrong way.

There is an education process that players go through. Thought Sparky would have been through it already but obviously not. Even Morgan Rielly had to face his ignorance and accept his lack of experience after he quipped "don't be a girl about it" a couple years ago. It happens. These guys spend all their time in a 100% male atmosphere and often have very little understanding of a world outside hockey.

Sparky is a good person. He appears to be an emotional participant in whatever he is doing at that moment. His shutout experience in his debut at the ACC last year was memorable.

Hope to see him back real soon.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Sparks seems to enjoy the attention, and to be a Big Deal. The kids on GGSU are thrilled to have him as a Close Personal Friend. They feed each other. Sparks could easily have participated at GGSU under an assumed name, but I think the cult of personality is something he basks in. That doesn't make him a bad guy, but it speaks to immaturity.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

garret_sparks_GGSU.png

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I know that London Knights players are given training and must sign "Social Media" agreements, essentially agreeing to act in the best interest of the organization and that even online they are representatives of the team.

I can't imagine NHL clubs not having something similar

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
"We're sorry you're offended" not "We're sorry that we don't know how to handle trolls". What a bunch of nonsense.

Yeah, it kinda missed the point.

Nobody is giving Sparks a hard time for defending a disabled person. They didn't need to defend that. Unfortunately that letter is just more fuel to the fire, because it misses the point.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I am amazed, how many people are missing the point here. No one is giving Sparks a hard time for defending someone who is disabled. Not at all (and if they are - they've lost the plot themselves).

What Sparks is being punished for is for not conducting himself properly, while defending said person. Which - is hard. I mean we've all lost our tempers, we've all said things we've not meant, but when you are representing a company, it doesn't matter.

I find it really odd that people are "disgusted" that the Leafs are doing their own disciplinary actions.

it won't surprise me though to have Lou be on the airways tomorrow, though and just this down in his Lamoriello way.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I am amazed, how many people are missing the point here. No one is giving Sparks a hard time for defending someone who is disabled. Not at all (and if they are - they've lost the plot themselves).

What Sparks is being punished for is for not conducting himself properly, while defending said person. Which - is hard. I mean we've all lost our tempers, we've all said things we've not meant, but when you are representing a company, it doesn't matter.

I find it really odd that people are "disgusted" that the Leafs are doing their own disciplinary actions.

it won't surprise me though to have Lou be on the airways tomorrow, though and just this down in his Lamoriello way.

I feel what Sparks did is what any decent person would do but at the same time he broke team rules and as such deserves some sort of punishment. There have been players who have in recent years broken team rules and there was no mercy for them, I see this as the same sort of thing.

I'm proud that Sparks has enough morale fiber to stand up to a bully.:handclap:

Mar 12, 2009
I agree, but in this day and age there are too many of these "keyboard warrior" types that need to be properly put in their place. To do something as abhorrent as to make fun of a disabled person, this idiot completely deserves to at the very least get a verbal jousting of getting his ass kicked. Maybe he will stop then?...But good for Garret for sticking up for him, but I also understand the optics of this issue and how there needed to be some form of punishment passed down from management...but suspended indefinitely? This screams completely of the Leafs management kowtowing to the PC *****ism of social media and media groups alike.

It sounds like Sparks was being a keyboard warrior of sorts as well. It's weird how it's PC/SJW/Keyboard Warrior when it's someone you don't agree with, but when it's someone you agree with/member of your favorite sports organization it's "putting keyboard warriors in their place". I guess you don't see how you're being every bit a keyboard warrior by crusading to put others in their place :laugh:.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
It sounds like Sparks was being a keyboard warrior of sorts as well. It's weird how it's PC/SJW/Keyboard Warrior when it's someone you don't agree with, but when it's someone you agree with/member of your favorite sports organization it's "putting keyboard warriors in their place". I guess you don't see how you're being every bit a keyboard warrior by crusading to put others in their place :laugh:.

And I say in this case it's an eye for an eye. If someone is being bullied then that gives me or anyone else carte blanche to say how I feel about that person and their comments. If they can ditch it out, they they can certainty take it back, right? But maybe I should take a page out of your book and simply "ignore him" and bury my head in the sand hoping they will comes to their senses and stop the abuse? Bullies rarely do so unless they're put in their place.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
The Leafs should have just said that Sparks would be required to attend sensitivity training, which would have consisted of spending an hour smoking cigars with Lou, while Lou explains how to deal with people who make you mad. Sparks would have left the meeting white-faced and shaking, while Lou's heartrate would never have gone over 85.

Last edited:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
The Leafs should have just said that Sparks would be required to attend sensitivity training, which would have consisted of spending an hour smoking cigars with Lou, while Lou explains how to deal with people who make you mad. Sparks would have left the meeting white-faced and shaking, while Lou's heartrate would never have gone over 185.

If Lou's heart rate goes to 185, he's about to die.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Actually Daisy this time I think it's you that doesn't get it , there was a time not to long ago when this guys friends would have kicked his ass for saying the things he said when everybody else was trying to help and encourage a disabled kid play hockey .Thats the sort of moral decency that was part of being a real Canadian , I hope somebody that knows this Clown does just that .The Leafs should have just made a vague statement of condemnation for appearances sake and sent the disabled kid a full set of goalie gear and a new Leaf jersey to wear over it .Thats how this should and would have been handled 40 years ago. I might also point out it's that the same sort of moral decency that made it possible for girls / women to participate in our society they way they can now instead of the way it was 80 -100 yrs ago .

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He violently threatened a person online, while I do respect him for standing up for a disabled boy, he crossed the line. I also think this isn't the first time the Leafs have talked about his online antics, if so they probably would've kept it in house. Sucks for Garret because by all means he is a genuine great dude, hopefully this will teach him living in such a PC riddened world, unfortunately it's just best to keep your mouth shut.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I get why he was suspended, being part of the Leafs and all, but Lupul was way worse. Lupuls backlash ended the Forums on the Leafs main page. That is where I, and alot of people came from in March/15.

Lups challenged multiple people to fight on twitter and IG over the course of weeks. So the only difference between the Two is: One did it multiple times, while the other said 13yo girl. One got suspended, One did not....

I say good on Sparks. Next time, just say you sound like a 13yo whiny teenager. Gotta keep the PC police away, or is that ageism? :sarcasm:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
He violently threatened a person online, while I do respect him for standing up for a disabled boy, he crossed the line. I also think this isn't the first time the Leafs have talked about his online antics, if so they probably would've kept it in house. Sucks for Garret because by all means he is a genuine great dude, hopefully this will teach him living in such a PC riddened world, unfortunately it's just best to keep your mouth shut.

That is the thing. this could be, like Kadri's suspension - the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak, it just happens it was at the wrong time. (for him).

I get why he was suspended, being part of the Leafs and all, but Lupul was way worse. Lupuls backlash ended the Forums on the Leafs main page. That is where I, and alot of people came from in March/15.

Lups challenged multiple people to fight on twitter and IG over the course of weeks. So the only difference between the Two is: One did it multiple times, while the other said 13yo girl. One got suspended, One did not....

I say good on Sparks. Next time, just say you sound like a 13yo whiny teenager. Gotta keep the PC police away, or is that ageism? :sarcasm:

Lou wasn't around, and now Lupul doesn't exist ;) so...

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
That is the thing. this could be, like Kadri's suspension - the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak, it just happens it was at the wrong time. (for him).

Lou wasn't around, and now Lupul doesn't exist ;) so...

That is a excellent point, followed by, an even better one :laugh:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end such is how it goes. He's not the first nor last person in the world to get in trouble with his bosses for what he says online.

Unfortunately that's part of the reason all the trolls and jerks tend to hide behind anonymity. A lot harder to get in trouble (though still can). Which unfortunately spirals into people getting more aggressive with things they'd never say face to face. But that's another topic entirely I suppose.

I'm sure he's a good guy and obviously it came from a good place. I'm sure he's not the only person who would have been justifiably upset and said things as if not more extreme. Unfortunately he's the one doing it with his real name and employers who will take those actions seriously. You do something wrong, you pay a price for it.

Not like he's suspended for the rest of his life. He'll be back, life will go on, and the world will continue to spin.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
That is a excellent point, followed by, an even better one :laugh:

:laugh:

i know, i'm repeating myself. But I'm glad that Lamoriello, and Shanahan are taking a hard line on this. and again I bet that he'll be on airwaves tomorrow saying "First of all, we don't talk about a lot internal things, but. blah blah" (Lou speak). but saying what most have been saying. We understand and respect that Sparks defended someone who was incapable of defending themselves. However his words/conduct in that didn't work with our Code of Conduct blah blah more Lou Speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad