Confirmed with Link: Garret Sparks Suspended Indefinitely For Violating Team Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
While I commend Sparks for sticking up for the disabled, you can't make those type of comments publicly. I would've preferred a public apology and left it that, but this does indeed reflect poorly on the organization and hopefully, this will deter other Leaf players from doing this.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
This is dumb... he should not have been suspended. This is just encouraging bullying... Sparks is getting punished for standing up for disabled people?

Great idea suspending someone standing up against bullying
He isn't being suspended for what he did; he's being suspended for how he did it. What makes it worse is that he did as as an admin of the group. An admin. He could have just deleted the post and banned the user and nothing would have come from this. Instead, he decides to act like a meathead and threatens the guy. It's an appropriate punishment.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
He isn't being suspended for what he did; he's being suspended for how he did it. What makes it worse is that he did as as an admin of the group. An admin. He could have just deleted the post and banned the user and nothing would have come from this. Instead, he decides to act like a meathead and threatens the guy. It's an appropriate punishment.

Depends on how long the suspension is. If it's any longer than one game, it's downright stupid.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Depends on how long the suspension is. If it's any longer than one game, it's downright stupid.
Maybe. Or maybe the Leafs don't want their players going around threatening people because it comes off as a black mark on the organization and they'll keep him suspended until he learns how to represent one of the most storied organizations in North America.

We'll find out soon.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
"you can't make those type of comments publicly"

Let this be a lesson, if you want to say something, don't.

Wait. Wait until not one person in the world would suspect it. And then exact quiet revenge.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Sparks gets suspended but Trump gets elected......

What a messed up world.

I have no issues with Sparks. Could have said things better but no doubt, he was incensed at the time, and I don't blame him. People hiding behind keyboards don't deserve to have their feelings spared when they are disparaging others.

Make the PR point and leave the man alone. His heart was in the right place.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Mocking disabled people eh. Someone could try that around me. Worst part is the loser won. That person being outed would be nice to see,not sparks being outed.Just saying.
Again, the issue is how he went about it, especially as an admin in the group and representative of the Leafs organization. Sparks chose to react like a meathead when banning the guilty party was the easier way to deal with the issue. Now he has to deal with whatever punishment comes his way.

Last edited:

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

Wait. Wait until not one person in the world would suspect it. And then exact quiet revenge.

Or he could've made his point without threatening someone and making casual sexist remarks, while being the admin of a public Facebook group and a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Or change you're name to, "NottherealGarretSparks"

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I agree, but in this day and age there are too many of these "keyboard warrior" types that need to be properly put in their place. To do something as abhorrent as to make fun of a disabled person, this idiot completely deserves to at the very least get a verbal jousting of getting his ass kicked. Maybe he will stop then?...But good for Garret for sticking up for him, but I also understand the optics of this issue and how there needed to be some form of punishment passed down from management...but suspended indefinitely? This screams completely of the Leafs management kowtowing to the PC *****ism of social media and media groups alike.

You degrade typing on the internet as being a "keyboard warrior" type of action, then say he deserves to be keyboard warriored against like it might teach him a lesson.

BPD Habs Fan

Power of Positivity
Jul 2, 2014
Alexandria, Ontario
I have been in Mr. Sparks shoes on multiple occasions and from my experiences all I can say to him is stop and walk away from the keyboard.

I hate bullies, always have and always will and while I am not a violent person by nature there is something about the bully that makes me want to be the most violent person on the planet.

Heart was in the right place but the method was wrong. Now is the time to tell the brass what they want to hear, appear to make all of the changes they suggest and just get back to work.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I guarantee there is a section in any player contract that says you can not bring the team into any bad light you are a representative of the team at all times, there is no issue here he should be suspended he is making the leafs look bad

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Again, the issue is how he went about it, especially as an admin in the group and representative of the Leafs organization. Sparks chose to react like a meathead when banning the guilty party was the easier way to deal with the issue. Now he has to deal with whatever punishment comes his way.

Its not a issue with me bud. I would rather be knowing who the wonderful person was that makes fun of tge disabled. Thats tge issue. I would like to take them out to center ice too.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Sometimes its better to ask forgiveness than permission right!

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
You degrade typing on the internet as being a "keyboard warrior" type of action, then say he deserves to be keyboard warriored against like it might teach him a lesson.

He deserves alot more than a few profanity laced words sent to him. But maybe I should hold his hand and tell him the do's and don'ts on how to treat another human being?...

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Tell that to the neckbeard Toronto Sun reporter that made this into a story.

Oh god! Toronto Sun - No wonder!

I can see the 13-year-old girl remark worthy of a reprimand but definitely not a suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad