Rumor: Garland's Agent Given Permission to Talk to Other Teams

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
They need to remove him from the top line.

The time to showcase him was last year when we were out of the playoffs. This is a make it or break it year for the brick-by-brick plan.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

The time to showcase him was last year when we were out of the playoffs. This is a make it or break it year for the brick-by-brick plan.

Personally I think Garland works better alongside Miller but it's hard to break up Miller's line right now. We are dealing with a small sample size though. Petey has been arguably better with Garland than without while Garland has been better without Petey than with.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
They've been trying to move Garland like forever, and nobody wants Myers or Beauvillier at their current price tags..What makes you think that their trades are imminent..?..Some of these contracts may stay on the team and naturally expire.

They tried like hell to move all these players (plus Boeser) in the last year,..and couldn't...which forced them into the OEL buyout.
By the time the TDL arrives, the salary cap implications for players on expiring contracts are virtually 'nil.

So any team acquiring Myers or Beauvillier for the stretch run and the playoffs is only on the hook for about a month worth of paychecks. And Myers is effectively only being paid $1m anyway since his front-end bonuses were paid in September. So some playoff bound team will definitely 'bite' on those two guys.

As for Garland, the Canucks have already intimated they're willing to eat 30 percent of his salary. So that virtually assures he's gone by the TDL, if not sooner.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
While you’re absolutely right that the current management is largely responsible for the current team, the fact remains that the three worst contracts with the club (Myers, Garland, and Boeser) are all JBs doing, Boeser being the result of a force qualifying offer. Their option was to lose him for nothing.
Still, other challenges are directly on this management. Too many overpriced wingers can no longer be blamed on JB, for example. Failure to deal with a very bad OEL situation resulting in a horrible dead cap space issue over the next few years is at least in part on current management.

Definitely not letting them off the hook for Boeser, they had options and chose this one. Myers/Garland are bad, but management certainly had the cap & roster space to make it their own team which they have.

Agreed. Boeser is on this management, as was the Mikheyev. They could have spent that $11 mil elsewhere if they had chosen to do so. No one says you have to re-sign expensive players who aren't performing.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
As for Garland, the Canucks have already intimated they're willing to eat 30 percent of his salary. So that virtually assures he's gone by the TDL, if not sooner.

I've not seen any indication the Canucks are willing to retain that much. Counterparties are asking them to retain up to 30%, but there's no indication they're willing to do that. Seems nobody wants exposure to the term on Garland's contract.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I've not seen any indication the Canucks are willing to retain that much. Counterparties are asking them to retain up to 30%, but there's no indication they're willing to do that. Seems nobody wants exposure to the term on Garland's contract.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Fair enough but the issue is more related to the return than the retention and teams are obviously asking them to retain and take measurably inefficient salary back, probably at term, which they won’t do. So it’s probably moot anyways.

And whether you trade him now, or at the deadline, doesn't really have any bearing on the contract term, unlike Myers and Beauvillier.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Put beau back on the top line where he's effective, mik and garland on offensive 3rd line against easier matchups, where they're most effective. Hronek Hughes own pairs... again most effective. Its not science.

Half the teams i watch look like they could use garland, I dont get whats been so difficult. Cap going up gis contract is ok, winnipeg should like signed garland. Retain a million if you have to. Dump him for any number of other bad contracts, seems to be alot of options.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
By the time the TDL arrives, the salary cap implications for players on expiring contracts are virtually 'nil.

So any team acquiring Myers or Beauvillier for the stretch run and the playoffs is only on the hook for about a month worth of paychecks. And Myers is effectively only being paid $1m anyway since his front-end bonuses were paid in September. So some playoff bound team will definitely 'bite' on those two guys.

The price tag for all these players has been out there for over a month..nothings changed.

As to what happens at the TDL is dependant on where the Canucks are in the standings.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The price tag for all these players has been out there for over a month..nothings changed.

As to what happens at the TDL is dependant on where the Canucks are in the standings.

I could see the market evolving for Myers and Beauvillier given their contract status, probably more so Myers given the scarcity on defense, nothing is changing with Garland unless his level of play measurably improves.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I could see the market evolving for Myers and Beauvillier given their contract status, probably more so Myers given the scarcity on defense, nothing is changing with Garland unless his level of play measurably improves.
All three players are currently junking their value based on their play so far.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If reports are accurate--that the Canucks are wiling to retain 30 percent of Garland's salary--then surely there has to be a deal out there somewhere.

By the 20 game mark, teams have sorted out where they're at. And a team dying for some offense and sitting on the playoff bubble, might be in the mood to add someone like Garland.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think the reports are a bit off. I think they are not looking to retain but take back bad salary. If it was just retaining 30% he would be gone by now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Aaron Portzline in Columbus reports that the Jackets are working the phones feverishly to unload one of their d-men. They current have eight on the NHL roster.

The action has heated up after Patrick Laine was blasted by Rasmus Andersson in the Flames-Jackets game, and looks like he's going to miss some time. Jackets need forwards, preferably a guy who can put the puck in the net occasionally.

Still think the Blue Jackets might be the frontrunners for Garland with one of three d-men, Bovquist Boqvist, Peake or Bean on the move.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Aaron Portzline in Columbus reports that the Jackets are working the phones feverishly to unload one of their d-men. They current have eight on the NHL roster.

The action has heated up after Patrick Laine was blasted by Rasmus Andersson in the Flames-Jackets game, and looks like he's going to miss some time. Jackets need forwards, preferably a guy who can put the puck in the net occasionally.

Still think the Blue Jackets might be the frontrunners for Garland with one of three d-men, Bovquist Boqvist, Peake or Bean on the move.

What's the scouting report on Bean?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

bean is a left shot guy. van needs a righty.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
hughes/bovist? or peeke>? which is better

Boqvist is smallish, soft, 3rd pairing offensive guy. Peeke is pretty much the opposite but also profiles for the 3rd pairing. Peeke is older (25 vs 23) and is signed longer (3y @ 2.75 vs 2y @ 2.6). Peeke is a UFA after his deal while Boqvist will be RFA.

My money is Peeke bring the more valuable of the two to the Canucks. He’s got PK utility and seems like a good change of scenery candidate after getting forced, and demolished, as the Blue Jackets eventual minutes leader.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Boqvist is smallish, soft, 3rd pairing offensive guy. Peeke is pretty much the opposite but also profiles for the 3rd pairing. Peeke is older (25 vs 23) and is signed longer (3y @ 2.75 vs 2y @ 2.6). Peeke is a UFA after his deal while Boqvist will be RFA.

My money is Peeke bring the more valuable of the two to the Canucks. He’s got PK utility and seems like a good change of scenery candidate after getting forced, and demolished, as the Blue Jackets eventual minutes leader.

Ceiling vs floor right? On this team we don't need Boqvist to run 1st unit PP and produce offensively so Peeke seems like a better fit. I think I'll roll the dice with Peeke if given a choice.

Reactions: MarkMM and Vector

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Swap for Peeke (+/- ) just seems way too stupidly obvious, wonder what the holdup is or it'd be done ages ago. Maybe cbj really doesn't want garland, even if they're offense is lame.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
REALLY not a fan of 30% retention, we're going to be carrying too much dead cap space as it is.

If Garland is unhappy then don't hurt our future to satisfy his precious feelings, if he wants out then it's up to him to play well enough to make other teams want to pay up for him.

Reactions: Nick Lang and F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Swap for Peeke (+/- ) just seems way too stupidly obvious, wonder what the holdup is or it'd be done ages ago. Maybe cbj really doesn't want garland, even if they're offense is lame.

CBJ is off to a good start. I see this Danforth guy has 3 goals.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
REALLY not a fan of 30% retention, we're going to be carrying too much dead cap space as it is.

If Garland is unhappy then don't hurt our future to satisfy his precious feelings, if he wants out then it's up to him to play well enough to make other teams want to pay up for him.

Yeah I’m not retaining that much for that long. He can either figure it out here and raise his value, or he’s welcome to do what Zadina did. If you want out badly enough, either will work.

Reactions: MarkMM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad