Rumor: Garland's Agent Given Permission to Talk to Other Teams

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Probably the best for everyone, I don't think he's enjoyed his time here and I don't think he fits in with what Tocchet wants out of his non-Star players on this team.

Timing is funny though, this is the first time where the team has some actual 3C caliber players so he wouldn't be playing with Aman or Dickinson or whatever if glues to the 3rd line.

Team did this with Boeser one year ago btw and he's still here so we'll see where this goes.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Maybe I'm in the minority, but would rather move Boeser if possible.

Don't think Garland should be too cumbersome to move, maybe with a bit of retention.

No, I'm with you. I like Garland more than a lot of the other wingers options but his combination of being a productive player and not liking being here makes him the easier one to trade.

For whatever reason, everyone who meets him falls in-love with Boeser. That strong jaw, flowing hair, and puppy-dog eyes just make hockey executives melt.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Judging by the last 1.5 seasons, this management usually don’t leak stuff unless it’s pretty much confirmed.

My guess is that they have a potential deal on the table already but wants to hear Garland’s thoughts

Reactions: Canucks LB

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Seemed a bit fishy when he was suddenly promoted to play next to EP last week, and here we are.

Not sure what it means though. We've got another "my contract sucks" situation.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I like Garland, but he's small and limited...they're probably going to have a tough time moving him without retaining or taking back a bad contract.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Seemed a bit fishy when he was suddenly promoted to play next to EP last week, and here we are.

Not sure what it means though. We've got another "my contract sucks" situation.

yeah i think people overestimate his trade value. nearly 5m with term for a tiny scoring winger who makes his linemates worse and doesn't play special teams is not an asset any team is excited to get

edit: also teams basically only give players permission to talk to other teams when they've run out of options. i think vancouver ultimately swaps garland for another bad contract

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Send him to Nashville! He looks like a Predator and will probably be happier in that city. Predators have the 4th most cap space in the league.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Send him to Nashville! He looks like a Predator and will probably be happier in that city. Predators have the 4th most cap space in the league.
chris-hansen-take-a-seat.gif

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Garland is a legit top 6 forward imo
Put him in chicago, he will do really well

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
This is not really a surprise. I do like Garland and he’s the type of player that would drive teams insane in the playoffs.

Columbus would be a better fit. Peeke?

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Probably doesnt like the media attention. He came from Arizona to Vancouver that would be a shock for anyone. It takes a specially kind of person to be able to deal with any media market that is 100% forced around that sport

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver
I probably like Garland more than most but if he wants out then that's pretty much it.

Tough move to make though. Probably won't make the top 6 for a good team and not super enticing for a bad team.

Best case scenario is probably a 1 for 1 with a D coming back or another Tanner Pearson-like dump. Not trying to will this into existence but CBJ is looking to move a D and Gudbranson balances the ledger a little too well. If we pay a bit maybe we squeak Peeke?

Reactions: Play

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Good luck - small undersized wingers have almost no value on the market, so they'd have to convince management to give him away free.

That might've been something they were interested in at the start of free agency, but with the start of the season around the corner I doubt they want to give up a productive ES middle six player for nothing when this season is so critical to the future direction of the team. If you can get a similar defensemen to play with Hughes, sure, but I highly doubt anyone deals that kind of player for Garland.

This info getting out is super weird though, you would think after Boesser last year they would want to keep this info tight to the chest to avoid an awkward situation for the player and keep everyone else focused on hockey.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
A good player, good guy too but he never really fit in with any of the coaches or players here. Seems to be a pattern with decent players that Benning brought in. See: Nate Schmidt

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Good luck - small undersized wingers have almost no value on the market, so they'd have to convince management to give him away free.

That might've been something they were interested in at the start of free agency, but with the start of the season around the corner I doubt they want to give up a productive ES middle six player for nothing when this season is so critical to the future direction of the team. If you can get a similar defensemen to play with Hughes, sure, but I highly doubt anyone deals that kind of player for Garland.

This info getting out is super weird though, you would think after Boesser last year they would want to keep this info tight to the chest to avoid an awkward situation for the player and keep everyone else focused on hockey.
I think they leak out this time on purpose cause they are confident that they can move Garland.

The Boeser situation was weird, sounded like it was not leaked on purpose and JR was not happy about it

Last edited:
Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad