Rumor: Garland's Agent Given Permission to Talk to Other Teams

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Take Myers off PK and presto. No goals against 5 on 5!!!!!!!

He has great to fantastic numbers 5 on 5.

But like OEL was, he is being asked to play outside of his comfort zone, aging skill level or too many minutes now.

If a stupid fan can see this the all knowing management, including the coaching staff know this. They play him there because there is nobody else or better.
Agreed and teams are not lining up to hand us a better option, nor do we have cap space.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Agreed and teams are not lining up to hand us a better option, nor do we have cap space.
Available cap space is double edged.

If a team has spent 6 million on a player already there is the potential to turn that into 3 million in cap space through the use of retention.

Beauvillier is a FA this year, at cap hit of 4.1 mil. So his contract has higher value because it ends soon.

A team like, let's say Washington who are capped out but wanting to support Ovechkin's pursuit for the goal scoring record, might be willing to take both Myers AND Garland/Beauvillier if 50% retention for 2 1rst round picks or Mantha and a 1rst round pick. Myers @ 3 mil plus Garland @ 2.7 mil/Beauvillier @ 2.05 mil equal Mantha's 5.7 mil cap hit. So a good move for Washington. Dollar in dollar out almost.
Or Garand with 30% retain and Beauvillier with 50% equals a little over 6 mil for Mantha and a 1rst.

Now this is only working the cap with one team. This could be done with a lot of teams, more as the season goes on.

BUT it would take a management team that can add and subtract. I say that because when odds makers and historical data show the odds of making the playoffs are minuscule, which is much earlier than the GM's want to tell the fans (because the fans will stop coming out to watch losing if the team is doing something to be better the next years :D:D).

This kind of deal Myer and ? to Columbus. Penquins. How many want depth at the TDL.

The cap DOES make trades harder, not impossible.

In Vancouver the evidence is the owners are willing to spend multi millions to buyout a player so smaller shorter term payments should not be a big issue.

I could come up with a trade with just about any team

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
It is true that Vaive had drinking issues. But, I blame Harold Ballard / Punch Imlach , not Rick Vaive, for the Leaf dressing room environment, starting with the trading of Lanny McDonald and then Darryl Sittler. Vaive became captain at 22 and was traded at 27.

Seems harsh to pin their woes on him. Even with Borje Salming, those teams were not very talented.
A quick look at the numbers show Vaive and Billy D combined for 457 goals in a Leafs sweater. Tiger and Jerry Butthair combined for 103 goals. Everyone partied back in the day. It was a garbage trade. Williams was a sideshow. Fact is they had four players that were tougher than Tiger and he wasn’t a need.​

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Dhali said this morning that teams are asking the Canucks for too much retention on Garland and they're hesitant to do that since they're already carrying all that OEL cash.
If they can trade Garland’s full hit for a 1 off contract like Roslovic/Mantha, that’s far preferable than retaining $1.5M for the next 3 seasons unless you’re getting a useful asset in return for that retention.

Reactions: TruGr1t and m9

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Dhali said this morning that teams are asking the Canucks for too much retention on Garland and they're hesitant to do that since they're already carrying all that OEL cash.
That's their own fault. Its craziness that this has gone on so long and have had such a cap crunch their entire tenure.

Just get rid of this guy, and or myers. Other teams seem capable, Pay the piper who cares. Hold onto rathbone and probably pod until they're hot trash, retain a million on garland and give away pod for anything that expires this year. Myers makes 1m, leverage that into something. Retain on him too and get rid of him for anything. Ship lekk or hog or whomever for someone young, cheap and high potential or already high impact. Some who will fit tocchets style perfectly. Make it happen captain.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Available cap space is double edged.

If a team has spent 6 million on a player already there is the potential to turn that into 3 million in cap space through the use of retention.

Beauvillier is a FA this year, at cap hit of 4.1 mil. So his contract has higher value because it ends soon.

A team like, let's say Washington who are capped out but wanting to support Ovechkin's pursuit for the goal scoring record, might be willing to take both Myers AND Garland/Beauvillier if 50% retention for 2 1rst round picks or Mantha and a 1rst round pick. Myers @ 3 mil plus Garland @ 2.7 mil/Beauvillier @ 2.05 mil equal Mantha's 5.7 mil cap hit. So a good move for Washington. Dollar in dollar out almost.
Or Garand with 30% retain and Beauvillier with 50% equals a little over 6 mil for Mantha and a 1rst.

Now this is only working the cap with one team. This could be done with a lot of teams, more as the season goes on.

BUT it would take a management team that can add and subtract. I say that because when odds makers and historical data show the odds of making the playoffs are minuscule, which is much earlier than the GM's want to tell the fans (because the fans will stop coming out to watch losing if the team is doing something to be better the next years :D:D).

This kind of deal Myer and ? to Columbus. Penquins. How many want depth at the TDL.

The cap DOES make trades harder, not impossible.

In Vancouver the evidence is the owners are willing to spend multi millions to buyout a player so smaller shorter term payments should not be a big issue.

I could come up with a trade with just about any team
I agree, but it’s like the OEL situation…. We are about to move out of cap hell.. let’s not spend some valuable assets to do so. I think Mantha and Garland have about the same negative value and I do think that’s a trade that Washington entertains. Maybe we add a couple 4ths. I just think we have to tough out this season And/or we have to retain on Myers and replace him with a similar cost but better player and somehow only retain minimal on Garland, so we open enough to trade a first + for a good RHD.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I agree, but it’s like the OEL situation…. We are about to move out of cap hell.. let’s not spend some valuable assets to do so. I think Mantha and Garland have about the same negative value and I do think that’s a trade that Washington entertains. Maybe we add a couple 4ths. I just think we have to tough out this season And/or we have to retain on Myers and replace him with a similar cost but better player and somehow only retain minimal on Garland, so we open enough to trade a first + for a good RHD.
Allvin could have done that as well.

Fans on this forum are so conflicted, from patience to panic mostly over Myer's and a belief that he alone is some kind of reason for years of accumulated failure.

I know that the pain delayed now will be pain doubled later on. That means I agree with you.

There is no panic to move Myers now and there should have been no panic to move OEL this year.

It is disappointing how easy it is to lead some fans down the garden path. There are some that actually believe the playoffs were more than a hope.

If there is retention then it should be with Beauvillier for Mantha if needed. Enough of stretching out that super bad trade and idiocy of Benning's and now Allvin feeding the fire.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If they can trade Garland’s full hit for a 1 off contract like Roslovic/Mantha, that’s far preferable than retaining $1.5M for the next 3 seasons unless you’re getting a useful asset in return for that retention.

I’d agree, but sounds like other teams also don’t want Garland’s full cap hit for the duration of the contract. Could probably buy the cap space off a team like Chicago, but apparently they’re asking for an arm and a leg to take on salary.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Only four games in, and already I'd say it's a longshot that Garland, Beauvillier and Myers finish the year in Vancouver. In fact there's a possibility they won't be around for even half the season.

Myers and Beauvillier are UFA's at the end of the season; and Garland will almost assuredly be dealt at some point.

I think Allvin and Rutherford have just begun to put their stamp on this roster.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Only four games in, and already I'd say it's a longshot that Garland, Beauvillier and Myers finish the year in Vancouver. In fact there's a possibility they won't be around for even half the season.

Myers and Beauvillier are UFA's at the end of the season; and Garland will almost assuredly be dealt at some point.

I think Allvin and Rutherford have just begun to put their stamp on this roster.

18 of the 23 players on the roster were either brought in or re-signed by Allvin/JR. Their stamp is all over this entire team already.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

They've been trying to move Garland like forever, and nobody wants Myers or Beauvillier at their current price tags..What makes you think that their trades are imminent..?..Some of these contracts may stay on the team and naturally expire.

They tried like hell to move all these players (plus Boeser) in the last year,..and couldn't...which forced them into the OEL buyout.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I’d agree, but sounds like other teams also don’t want Garland’s full cap hit for the duration of the contract. Could probably buy the cap space off a team like Chicago, but apparently they’re asking for an arm and a leg to take on salary.
Yea if it’s a matter or taking a cap dump AND retaining significantly on Garland I’d just tell him to suck it up and play like he’s trying for a new contract and maybe in the offseason some teams will be interested with the cap increase.

Reactions: TruGr1t

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Which makes sense from their perspective because the Nucks put themselves into this situation. Why help them out unless you fleece them?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
18 of the 23 players on the roster were either brought in or re-signed by Allvin/JR. Their stamp is all over this entire team already.

Benning:
Pettersson
Hughes
Myers
Garland
Demko
Poolman

Allvin:
Boeser (re-signed)
Miller (re-signed)
Hoglander (re-signed)
Juulsen (re-signed)
Di Giuseppe (re-signed)
Brisebois (re-signed)
Hronek (traded)
Lafferty (traded)
Studnicka (traded)
Friedman (traded)
DeSmith (traded)
Beauvillier (traded)
Kuzmenko (signed)
Joshua (signed)
Soucy (signed)
Hirose (signed)
Cole (signed)
Suter (signed)
Blueger (signed)
Mikheyev (signed)

*injured players in italics

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Benning:
Pettersson
Hughes
Myers
Garland
Demko
Poolman

Allvin:
Boeser (re-signed)
Miller (re-signed)
Hoglander (re-signed)
Juulsen (re-signed)
Di Giuseppe (re-signed)
Brisebois (re-signed)
Hronek (traded)
Lafferty (traded)
Studnicka (traded)
Friedman (traded)
DeSmith (traded)
Beauvillier (traded)
Kuzmenko (signed)
Joshua (signed)
Soucy (signed)
Hirose (signed)
Cole (signed)
Suter (signed)
Blueger (signed)
Mikheyev (signed)

*injured players in italics

Yeah I didn't count Poolman since he's never really been on the team and I don't count Brisebois as being on the team since we have no idea if he actually would have made it. Hirose isn't technically on the team (unless I missed something today).

But either way, we can agree their stamp is all over the team.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yeah I didn't count Poolman since he's never really been on the team and I don't count Brisebois as being on the team since we have no idea if he actually would have made it. Hirose isn't technically on the team (unless I missed something today).

But either way, we can agree their stamp is all over the team.

I just factored in all the players that affect the cap or have played a game. I've always said the timeline they set for themselves was this season and they've made a lot of choices. It's entirely fair to call this their team.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin and m9

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Totally agree, and much of it has been good improvements. Sometimes it takes multiple moves to reach goals and I think that’s the case.

They've been trying to move Garland like forever, and nobody wants Myers or Beauvillier at their current price tags..What makes you think that their trades are imminent..?..Some of these contracts may stay on the team and naturally expire.

They tried like hell to move all these players (plus Boeser) in the last year,..and couldn't...which forced them into the OEL buyout.
I agree, I would say Myers and Beau are UFA at the end of the year and may have some value at the TDL with retention.

But that would also mean the season is shot for us…

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Agreed. If they are simply looking to dump Garland then try and go with the one off. If they are going to retain they should get significant asset back say a RHD who + retention is going to make around what Garland makes over the next two years. With the cap going up, I think the market is going to open up. It would be difficult for teams to sign a ~28 year old UFA winger of Garland's ilk for 2 years at his cap hit is my thinking. Similar to better is going to cost more like Tyler Bertuzzi. But I could be wrong and teams prefer sign and or there would be a slew of teams choosing to sign some known names to 1 year bargain contracts.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Totally agree, and much of it has been good improvements. Sometimes it takes multiple moves to reach goals and I think that’s the case.

I'm not really ready to make any declarations about the work done so far being good or bad. Too early in the season, we'll give it at least 20 games maybe and see where we are at. On the surface though I think I generally like most of the moves as "one-offs" but I still have some concern what it's all going to amount to in terms of building a good team.

Like for example, OEL was bought out and they used a bunch of that money to sign Cole & Blueger on 1yr deals. Do I like the players? Yeah, I do. As one-offs I like the signings. But are these players going to ultimately make a difference in this team's trajectory given that I don't think this team is going anywhere meaningful this year and they are both only signed for 1yr? That is what we need to find out.

But as a fan I love the activity that Allvin brings. By far the most active GM in the league in the last year and seems to enjoy micro-deals that may just slightly upgrade the team, which at least keeps thing fun.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Capitals have emerged as a team with interest in Garland--as their scoring has cratered early in the season.

But looking up and down the Washington roster, nothing moves the needle for me. I guess Mantha straight up for Garland might work for the Canucks, since Mantha is a UFA in year.

But his cap hit is almost a million more than Garland's.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
While you’re absolutely right that the current management is largely responsible for the current team, the fact remains that the three worst contracts with the club (Myers, Garland, and Boeser) are all JBs doing, Boeser being the result of a force qualifying offer. Their option was to lose him for nothing.
Still, other challenges are directly on this management. Too many overpriced wingers can no longer be blamed on JB, for example. Failure to deal with a very bad OEL situation resulting in a horrible dead cap space issue over the next few years is at least in part on current management.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm not really ready to make any declarations about the work done so far being good or bad. Too early in the season, we'll give it at least 20 games maybe and see where we are at. On the surface though I think I generally like most of the moves as "one-offs" but I still have some concern what it's all going to amount to in terms of building a good team.

Like for example, OEL was bought out and they used a bunch of that money to sign Cole & Blueger on 1yr deals. Do I like the players? Yeah, I do. As one-offs I like the signings. But are these players going to ultimately make a difference in this team's trajectory given that I don't think this team is going anywhere meaningful this year and they are both only signed for 1yr? That is what we need to find out.

But as a fan I love the activity that Allvin brings. By far the most active GM in the league in the last year and seems to enjoy micro-deals that may just slightly upgrade the team, which at least keeps thing fun.
I think the short term fillers are really just fillers to buy time for the kids.
Like if they project Raty to be the 3rd line C, then Bluegar is really just there to hold space until next year where we will play Raty full time on the 4th line ala Horvat. Ditto with Hirose, Cole is there as a placeholder.

If Raty and Hirose can both hold water in the NHL, then we can actually feel comfortable using our draft picks and the cap on one/two guy that can move the needle.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
While you’re absolutely right that the current management is largely responsible for the current team, the fact remains that the three worst contracts with the club (Myers, Garland, and Boeser) are all JBs doing, Boeser being the result of a force qualifying offer. Their option was to lose him for nothing.
Still, other challenges are directly on this management. Too many overpriced wingers can no longer be blamed on JB, for example. Failure to deal with a very bad OEL situation resulting in a horrible dead cap space issue over the next few years is at least in part on current management.

Definitely not letting them off the hook for Boeser, they had options and chose this one. Myers/Garland are bad, but management certainly had the cap & roster space to make it their own team which they have.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the short term fillers are really just fillers to buy time for the kids.
Like if they project Raty to be the 3rd line C, then Bluegar is really just there to hold space until next year where we will play Raty full time on the 4th line ala Horvat. Ditto with Hirose, Cole is there as a placeholder.

If Raty and Hirose can both hold water in the NHL, then we can actually feel comfortable using our draft picks and the cap on one/two guy that can move the needle.

I agree on Cole being a place-holder, we'll see with Blueger. Kind of feel he's on a prove-it deal to show he's better than he was last year and maybe they extend him if things go well. Raty could easily be the future Suter replacement as well, that timeline may be more realistic.

Reactions: Vector

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I agree on Cole being a place-holder, we'll see with Blueger. Kind of feel he's on a prove-it deal to show he's better than he was last year and maybe they extend him if things go well. Raty could easily be the future Suter replacement as well, that timeline may be more realistic.
yeah we'll see what happens with Bluegar. it's totally plausible that he plays well and Raty needs another year of development and we end up brigning him back on a 2 year deal and when Suter expires, we'll have Raty replace Suter instead.

Reactions: m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad