Rumor: Garland's Agent Given Permission to Talk to Other Teams

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Garland isn't doing much these days to enhance his trade value.....you have to check the program regularly to even know if he was out there.

Right now he's playing like a guy who's 5'8".....he's just being completely eliminated along the wall and rarely does anything to get into a scoring position. You wonder if teams are looking at the tape and realizing there's not much this guy can that will help much.

Garland was one of Benning's last contracts......and might be one of the toughest to unload.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Garland isn't doing much these days to enhance his trade value.....you have to check the program regularly to even know if he was out there.

Right now he's playing like a guy who's 5'8".....he's just being completely eliminated along the wall and rarely does anything to get into a scoring position. You wonder if teams are looking at the tape and realizing there's not much this guy can that will help much.

Garland was one of Benning's last contracts......and might be one of the toughest to unload.

I missed today's game so I can't comment but looking at the stats, it looked like he dominated possession against the Predators. Analytics suggests Garland's line was very effective. Did you watch the game? I'm interested in the disparity between analytics and your eye test.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I missed today's game so I can't comment but looking at the stats, it looked like he dominated possession against the Predators. Analytics suggests Garland's line was very effective. Did you watch the game? I'm interested in the disparity between analytics and your eye test.

He was invisible for a while, got smoked with a big hit, then was effective for the rest of the way. Was even out protecting the lead with a minute to go.

Reactions: F A N

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Did nothing through two periods, flashed a bit throughout the 3rd, had a great final shift helping protect the lead.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Did nothing through two periods, flashed a bit throughout the 3rd, had a great final shift helping protect the lead.
Pretty much.

For some reason he also did his ducking thing when he came out of the penalty box (serving too many men) in the middle of the defensive zone while not moving his feet. It was....odd.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
REALLY not a fan of 30% retention, we're going to be carrying too much dead cap space as it is.

If Garland is unhappy then don't hurt our future to satisfy his precious feelings, if he wants out then it's up to him to play well enough to make other teams want to pay up for him.

Yeah it's one of those things where we shoehorned this team in under the cap and we have a pretty full roster minus the right side of D. At this point why pay to get rid of him unless he is viewed to be simply untradeable for the entirety of his contract? If it's that bad then I guess get what you can. His buyout penalty is about $1.8 until 2027-28 so retaining $1.6 for 3 years is better than that.

You would hope he would be tradeable this summer once we finally have more than $30 cap space lol. 2 more years ... hopefully someone would want him.

I think with how tough it's been to shed cap, and with what Rutherford and Allvin said about it taking time we really need to be focused on the goal. Once Myers and Beau fall off I think next year is where they can finally look to make strides. As such we shouldn't be panicking and wasting any resources or cap to get rid of him this year.

I finally figured out why I'am not really a fan of his. He's kind of a puck hog. He holds on to the puck too long and instigates board battles all the time, and then ultimately resorts to firing a poor angle shot or a wayward pass after the play is dead. He likes the chaos theory lol, gets everything flying around him and tries to be an opportunist if the puck pops out. Takes his teammates out of the game when in my opinion he should be using them and his ability to find space and time in the dzone while avoiding contact.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkMM

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Pretty much.

For some reason he also did his ducking thing when he came out of the penalty box (serving too many men) in the middle of the defensive zone while not moving his feet. It was....odd.

Was he "invisible" because he hardly played? He was only on the ice for 11:44. Did he do the "little things" right or something? Cause he's credited with a team leading 4 hits and his possession stats were ridiculous.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Was he "invisible" because he hardly played? He was only on the ice for 11:44. Did he do the "little things" right or something? Cause he's credited with a team leading 4 hits and his possession stats were ridiculous.

I don't know what his TOI was through two periods but I didn't notice him at all. Definitely more involved in the 3rd. Not sure if analytics backs that up if you split by period, but that's what I saw.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I wasn’t commenting on effectiveness or anything. The entire team had a good game I thought. He had some effective shifts in the third. It was just weird seeing him do the ducking thing in the middle of the defensive zone.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I don't know what his TOI was through two periods but I didn't notice him at all. Definitely more involved in the 3rd. Not sure if analytics backs that up if you split by period, but that's what I saw.

His underlying numbers through a very small of 6 games are fine
same minutes roughly as lafferty, joshua and kuzemnko

we have some guys getting absolutely carved up right now and he isnt one of them

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

1st: 3:58 (7 shifts)
2nd: 4:18 (8 shifts)
3rd: 3:26 (6 shifts)

He actually played less in the 3rd but was more noticeable.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
His underlying numbers through a very small of 6 games are fine
same minutes roughly as lafferty, joshua and kuzemnko

we have some guys getting absolutely carved up right now and he isnt one of them

Well, hopefully there are teams out there that follow those stats and would be interested. I'm not seeing anything from this player to this point. He looks like a depth player you would pay a million bucks/year to play bottom six minutes. I'm not a Garland hater or anything either, I thought he played very well with Joshua/Aman down the stretch.

1st: 3:58 (7 shifts)
2nd: 4:18 (8 shifts)
3rd: 3:26 (6 shifts)

He actually played less in the 3rd but was more noticeable.

I'm sure there are some biases in play here. I was probably paying closer attention in the 3rd period of a close game and Garland's last shift was by far his best of the night.

Reactions: Vector

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Well, hopefully there are teams out there that follow those stats and would be interested. I'm not seeing anything from this player to this point. He looks like a depth player you would pay a million bucks/year to play bottom six minutes. I'm not a Garland hater or anything either, I thought he played very well with Joshua/Aman down the stretch.

Well be nice to get to American Thanksgiving or essentially the 22-25 game mark to see what we have
as we have given up an absolute ton, san jose and van are separating themselves from the pack right now in what they are giving up

Reactions: m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad