News Article: Gardiner update looking positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Mirtle Mailbag: The coach-GM feud (?), a Jake Gardiner...

Q1. How likely is it that Jake Gardiner has played his last game as a Leaf?

Q1B. Do you envision Jake Gardiner returning to the Leafs defence in the playoffs if he is not entirely healthy? Does he owe anything to us as fans of the organization when he is only months away from becoming a UFA and has been mocked by his own fan base?

I have good news on that front.
My column earlier this week was a bit doom and gloom, but Jake Gardiner has made progress over the last several days. He has been on the ice on his own and is working out with team trainers. Back injuries are unpredictable, but it does appear he’ll be able to play at some point soon-ish.
Now, there are only two weeks and eight games left in the regular season, so time is of the essence if he’s going to get back into game shape before the playoffs. His last game action was Feb. 25, nearly a full month ago, and we’ve seen how layoffs have affected Matthews, Nylander and others this season.

Working in Toronto’s favour is the fact that, due to building availability, it appears the Leafs won’t start the postseason in Boston until April 11. Their last game of the year is April 6 in Montreal.
That’s four full days off in-between that will buy Gardiner some extra recovery and practice time.
As for the second part of the question… I don’t believe Gardiner is thinking about this in terms of his pending free agency or how some fans booed him or anything like that. He wants to play. He’s invested in this team and its success. After eight years with the Leafs, he wants to slay the dragon and beat the Bruins.
Given his latest progress, it now looks like he’ll get that chance.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Good news... we need him and Dermott ... a lot.

Never thought I'd say it... but brain farts and all... we need Gardiner in.

He most likely leaves in the summer. . And hopefully dermott plays a bigger role for us next year...along with Rosen playing. . And possibly Lilly, and Sandin.

For Gardiners sake I hope he plays really well in the Boston series and slays those demons.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Would be great - if not necessary - to have all options available going into any playoff series. Here's hoping.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Zeke what the hell change you profile picture back. I dont like change

dubas-kyle-061618.jpg

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Dermott's still in a red jersey, probably a week away at least.

I'd give Gardiner 2 games the last week if he's healthy enough

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It is pretty delicious that all the Leafs fans complaining we don't have enough size and toughness on the back end are now forced to accept that losing the skilled dmen is a much bigger problem, even when you replace them with guys that are 6'5".
There are those that didn't think losing two top 4 defensemen would be a problem?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
definitely many who think we'd be better off with big slow dmen instead of Gardiner.

many.
Must be comments by those I don't bother reading.
I wouldn't put any stock in those thoughts.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
My prediction will come true. They both come back together

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Dermott in red means non-contact so he's staying out for the full practice. Gardiner in black means he'll leave before practice starts. Both are positive signs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Good sign. Even if people dislike him, he makes us a better team no doubt

People are idiots.

I don't know how to express how happy this news makes me, I really thought Jake was done for the year. I figured Dermott would be back anyway and if Jake can play again, even if he's at like 90% or something and the rest of our team is at full health, I like our chances against Boston a whole helluvalot better.

Amazing news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad