Status
Not open for further replies.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Dermott
Hainsey-zaitsev

just try it, coach, just try it.

Doesnt make any sense at all unless Dermott, one of the more sheltered players in the league, is all of a sudden ready to get thrown into the fire. Also, Hainsey-Zaitsev only works in a defensive role and without an adequate puck mover on that pairing, we are going to lose the big advantage of having a bottom paring that pushes the play so nicely against other teams 3rd and 4th lines. If you think Dermott is ready for the challenge thats ok but Gards-Zaitsev have been good together this year against the hardest minutes theyve ever played and were our best pairing against Boston last year (our likely playoff opponent). I'm not against trying it but maybe the timing of it right before the playoffs wouldnt be wise. Dermott struggled somewhat with Bostons 3rd and 4th liners last year and I'd be more than a little worried about that happening again, this time on a much bigger scale

Rielly-Muzzin
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

Puck movers on every line, top 4 can play the higher level comp and bottom pairing can crush the 4th liners. Thats what I would like to see. Play the Matthews line against Bergeron with wither of the top two pairing and Im positive we'll see that forward support was a FAR bigger issue last year than many realize.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Or maybe, just maybe - since he can't see the future he couldn't know that two of our Dmen would get injured and the only blowhard around here is you. :laugh::laugh:

The main problem is the AHL team also has key injuries at the wrong time. We should have Rosen up.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Doesnt make any sense at all unless Dermott, one of the more sheltered players in the league, is all of a sudden ready to get thrown into the fire.

doesn't make sense to give a 22yr old kid that has dominated as a #5dman a chance to play as a #4 dman?

Also, Hainsey-Zaitsev only works in a defensive role

correct. 3rd pairing defensive matchup and PK duties only.

and without an adequate puck mover on that pairing, we are going to lose the big advantage of having a bottom paring that pushes the play so nicely against other teams 3rd and 4th lines.

but we gain a top-4 that can be used and can dominate in all matchups.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Or maybe, just maybe - since he can't see the future he couldn't know that two of our Dmen would get injured and the only blowhard around here is you. :laugh::laugh:

You think most teams get through the season with only 6 D? That's a foolish move to think you only need to be 6 deep. When you talk to people at the rink the prevailing opinion is you need at least 8 NHL quality D who can step in. The young GM said he liked our depth. Then when it was tested he was proven to be wrong. I believe the young GM is old enough to know guys get hurt.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I disagree. I am not a fan of his game. He does things that are valuable, sure, but I have grown very tired of his very soft play. I won't deny that he is a huge, massive, upgrade over Mari or Holl or Oz.
Same here. Plus the fact that if Gardiner comes back too soon he might tend to protect his back which would render him more ineffective.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
doesn't make sense to give a 22yr old kid that has dominated as a #5dman a chance to play as a #4 dman?

It doesnt when you propel him onto maybe the least sheltered 2nd line usage in the NHL, breaking up both the 2nd and third pairings and "hoping" for the best. Not really sure how your thinking has gone in this direction but the biggest problems on D have been an adequate defensive partner for Rielly to replace the aging Hainsey and the revolving door down at 3rd pairing right D. Dermott isnt just gonna be magically as good defensive as Zaitsev and have his offense translate over playing against Boston firsts and second lines.

correct. 3rd pairing defensive matchup and PK duties only.

Im not sure what this means. It would keep them fresh I guess but we need to put pressure on Boston. Are we sending them out against the Bergeron line in the playoffs?

but we gain a top-4 that can be used and can dominate in all matchups.

Rielly/Muzzen I have full confidence in. Breaking up one of the best second pairings in the league this year and our most successful pairing against the Bruins seems a recipe for disaster...

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Dermott's still in a red jersey, probably a week away at least.

I'd give Gardiner 2 games the last week if he's healthy enough
Agreed.
Even with only two games under his belt, he's better than Hainsey, Zaitsev, Oz and Holl.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It doesnt when you propel him onto maybe the least sheltered 2nd line usage in the NHL, breaking up both the 2nd and third pairings and "hoping" for the best. Not really sure how your thinking has gone in this direction but the biggest problems on D have been an adequate defensive partner for Rielly to replace the aging Hainsey and the revolving door down at 3rd pairing right D. Dermott isnt just gonna be magically as good defensive as Zaitsev and have his offense translate over playing against Boston firsts and second lines.

dermott is easily better than zaitsev, and it's not really close.

Im not sure what this means. It would keep them fresh I guess but we need to put pressure on Boston. Are we sending them out against the Bergeron line in the playoffs?

dear god no.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You think most teams get through the season with only 6 D? That's a foolish move to think you only need to be 6 deep. When you talk to people at the rink the prevailing opinion is you need at least 8 NHL quality D who can step in. The young GM said he liked our depth. Then when it was tested he was proven to be wrong. I believe the young GM is old enough to know guys get hurt.

You think we're 6 deep? We have two guys injured and we're still icing 6 Dmen, back to math class for you.

I really think that like I said, the only blowhard around here is you. You might want to give that some thought, the pile of evidence is growing.

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Rielly - - - Hainsey
Muzzin - Gardiner
Dermott - Zaitsev

or

Muzzin - - - - Rielly
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - - Zaitsev

or

Rielly - - - Dermott
Muzzin - Gardiner
Hainsey - - Zaitsev

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Muzzin-Rielly is the best Leafs pairing we've seen this year, so they should play against the Bergeron line. Gardiner and Dermott should round out the top 4, as they're rested and also our next most talented defensemen. Give our PKers some easy minutes at 5v5 to keep them rested

Reactions: GermanLeaf

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
i tried to find the picture of Dubas rubbings his eyes from a couple games ago to respond. couldnt find it :(
NYk87mA.gif

close enough

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

No GM plans for both their NHL and AHL team to get injuries in the same position at the same time. We have better replacements just they are injured.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Rielly - - - Hainsey
Muzzin - Gardiner
Dermott - Zaitsev

or

Muzzin - - - - Rielly
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - - Zaitsev

or

Rielly - - - Dermott
Muzzin - Gardiner
Hainsey - - Zaitsev

What about:

Rielly Hainsey (proven pair)
Muzzin Dermott (Dermott can play RHD and is closer to a Rielly)
Gards Z (have played together in the past)

Reactions: teddygmr

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Dermott
Hainsey-zaitsev

just try it, coach, just try it.
Nah go

Gardiner-Rielly
Muzzin-Dermott
Hainsey-Zaitsev

Muzzin and Dermott played 2 or 3 games together but looked amazing. They should be our 2nd pair next year as well. Jake and rielly are both highly skilled and will need to soak up mins against tough comp. Bottom pair gets 15 or less mins a night.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Rielly - - - Hainsey
Muzzin - Gardiner
Dermott - Zaitsev

or

Muzzin - - - - Rielly
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - - Zaitsev

or

Rielly - - - Dermott
Muzzin - Gardiner
Hainsey - - Zaitsev
This one:

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
And watch this place blow up when we come out flat and lose the first game with them back lol
lol.
Wait til Jake makes one mistake in Boston Game 1.

and nobody will accuse Tavares who will be -1 nor Matthews who will be -2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad