News Article: Gardiner update looking positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Collectively, how much of an overpayment do you feel Dubas gave to Nylander and Matthews? $1M? $1.5M? $2M?

And is that figure larger than what we gave on a 7-year deal to a guy with 86 games of NHL experience?
Im not quite sure yet. We'll see what crazy number Dubas will give Marner and go from there.

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
Collectively, how much of an overpayment do you feel Dubas gave to Nylander and Matthews? $1M? $1.5M? $2M?

And is that figure larger than what we gave on a 7-year deal to a guy with 86 games of NHL experience?

easy to say "overpayment" - it's market value, and more than some fans want to pay (and how much of that is driven by media talking about "the cap" to death, over and over)

No player is a problem if they're movable, and I don't see ANY Leaf player that can't be moved because of a bad contract. Even Zaitsev's deal isn't horrible, there's no Jason Blake or David Clarkson. How is Auston even overpaid, he's a SUPERSTAR that any team would kill for.

Teams who should worry are those who'll HAVE TO overpay their player because of the Leaf contracts. The problem isn't the superstar dollars, it's those mediocre players with great stats who COMMAND high dollars when they may not be worth it - those mistakes can really hurt (see EDM - Lucic). I was worried about the Draisaitl deal but as it turns out, he's a superstar as well !

Nylander's been so bad this year, makes the contract look insane, but longer term, he's a highly skilled player who should "earn" that over time, just not today, sadly.

Reactions: CincoHolio

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
easy to say "overpayment" - it's market value, and more than some fans want to pay (and how much of that is driven by media talking about "the cap" to death, over and over)

No player is a problem if they're movable, and I don't see ANY Leaf player that can't be moved because of a bad contract. Even Zaitsev's deal isn't horrible, there's no Jason Blake or David Clarkson. How is Auston even overpaid, he's a SUPERSTAR that any team would kill for.

Teams who should worry are those who'll HAVE TO overpay their player because of the Leaf contracts. The problem isn't the superstar dollars, it's those mediocre players with great stats who COMMAND high dollars when they may not be worth it - those mistakes can really hurt (see EDM - Lucic). I was worried about the Draisaitl deal but as it turns out, he's a superstar as well !

Nylander's been so bad this year, makes the contract look insane, but longer term, he's a highly skilled player who should "earn" that over time, just not today, sadly.
nylander's been bad? the f***?

welcome to the ignore list

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto

Nylander has looked great since the start of 2019

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Gardiner almost singlehandedly turned around the first series against Boston. It was an incredible performance.

I was just thinking about this today. Yeah, he wasn't great last years play-offs. But he was excellent in the first Boston series and was solid in the Washington series too, for the most part.

I'm not even in love with Gardiner in any way and I'm looking forward to what a different look Dermott might bring in his stead next season.

But I can still take an objective look at Jake's time with the team and based off of playoff performances alone, it's been a mostly positive contribution.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
San Jose with Karlsson and Calgary with Hanifin, perhaps? But other than that, when you go down the list of trades and UFA signings, Toronto has acquired one of the highest impact defenders.

SJ sure. Technically I did ask about during the season but perhaps arbitrary so Karlsson, OK. Hanifin maybe, but they traded Hamilton for him so it's not clear who gained there. So maybe out of 31 GM's, Dubas is 2nd behind SJ when it comes to improving our D since he's on the job? That's doesn't sound bad at all, am I missing anything?

It absolutely blows my mind that people are complaining about Dubas saying our D is underrated, saying that this means he won't do anything to improve and then stand by that nonsense and keep repeating it even after he makes this amazing trade for Muzzin. It's as if the Muzzin trade never even happened.

Blows ... my ... mind.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Reading through the last couple of pages of this thread, I had to double check that I was actually viewing the Gardiner update.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
They should figure out a way to sign him. Losing him for nothing will suck

That Marleau contract, man. I mean hindsight is 20/20 and so much has changed since it was originally signed. Still, I think most people held reservations with that 3rd year being awarded. It really will suck if we lose guys like Gardiner or Johnsson or Kappy because of it.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
SJ sure. Technically I did ask about during the season but perhaps arbitrary so Karlsson, OK. Hanifin maybe, but they traded Hamilton for him so it's not clear who gained there. So maybe out of 31 GM's, Dubas is 2nd behind SJ when it comes to improving our D since he's on the job? That's doesn't sound bad at all, am I missing anything?

It absolutely blows my mind that people are complaining about Dubas saying our D is underrated, saying that this means he won't do anything to improve and then stand by that nonsense and keep repeating it even after he makes this amazing trade for Muzzin. It's as if the Muzzin trade never even happened.

Blows ... my ... mind.

He will never win with some people.

I could post the full list and people will say the John Moore signing or Nick Jensen trade were higher-impact moves than the Jake Muzzin acquisition.

The fact we acquired him without giving up one of Johnsson/Liljegren/Sandin/Bracco is what blows my mind.

Reactions: Gary Nylund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad